Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back during recession????

Wikiposts

Moving back during recession????

Old Aug 30th 2008, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving back during recession????

My life suddenly had more meaning as I had a plan to get back home. I'd researched, plotted but am now panicking as with the recession (and we know few countries will be immune) getting jobs when nearly 50 yrs old, & being paid anything close to what we're paid here is going to be a nightmare. Add to that returning with older children and I'm wondering how possible it'll be at all.

We don't have supportive families, have been away for 22 years and are wondering what others think about our prospects. Stories we're hearing now aren't just the 'country's gone to the dogs' type, they're about how difficult it is to just make ends meet each month - and this is from people who are on reasonable wages.

Has it affected anyone elses decisions?
Old Aug 30th 2008, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

Location: Was Gold Coast, Australia... now living in Notts, UK
horrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Moving back during recession????

Originally Posted by ezzie
My life suddenly had more meaning as I had a plan to get back home. I'd researched, plotted but am now panicking as with the recession (and we know few countries will be immune) getting jobs when nearly 50 yrs old, & being paid anything close to what we're paid here is going to be a nightmare. Add to that returning with older children and I'm wondering how possible it'll be at all.

We don't have supportive families, have been away for 22 years and are wondering what others think about our prospects. Stories we're hearing now aren't just the 'country's gone to the dogs' type, they're about how difficult it is to just make ends meet each month - and this is from people who are on reasonable wages.

To be honest, I think life is good for some people and it's bad for some people. In the four months since we've been back, we haven't found ourselves on the breadline - we've had work, found a much better paid job than anything I saw in Oz and yes, things have gone up in price for some stuff... but other things (like food) are still nowhere near the cost they were in Oz.

Swings and roundabouts really. The more preparation you can do before you leave, the better... but I don't feel any more financial pressure in the UK than we did in Oz.

Sarah
Old Aug 30th 2008, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

God, that's so nice to hear Sarah. Trouble is, the unemployment is all going to hit over the next 12 months or so. We know someone over here who's job is to advice multi-nationals on financial climate - he's never been wrong (and how we wish he ran the UK right now!). Anyhow, he believes strongly that the UK will experience not the short, hard recession the gov't is secretly hoping for, but a longer recession lasting 5 yrs or so and affecting middle and upper management jobs in particular....just what we don't want!

What part of Derbyshire are you in....love that area!

Originally Posted by horrigans
To be honest, I think life is good for some people and it's bad for some people. In the four months since we've been back, we haven't found ourselves on the breadline - we've had work, found a much better paid job than anything I saw in Oz and yes, things have gone up in price for some stuff... but other things (like food) are still nowhere near the cost they were in Oz.

Swings and roundabouts really. The more preparation you can do before you leave, the better... but I don't feel any more financial pressure in the UK than we did in Oz.

Sarah
Old Aug 30th 2008, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold

The economic storm clouds are gathering over Australia too, so things are going to be bumpy all over, and many areas of the Australian housing market are likely to experience similar volatility in the short term to what the UK is experiencing already - now may be a good time to sell and ship out of Aus.

Remember too that the British press are always more negative than the Aus press, so will paint a gloomier picture than you read in the newspapers here.

And at the end of the day you have obviously thought long and hard and decided that you will be better off in the UK, for a whole range of reasons, so better to concentrate on enjoying the time you have left in Aus and the new life that awaits you at home.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 10:44 am
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

This is a subject you can't ignore if your going back to the Uk, but I think the panic or negativity that you hear is just part of general UK complaining - we do it so well!
I was back there in March and April this year and I was shocked at how CHEAP food and clothing was. There's so much competition there that they've no option but to sell cheaper than their competitors. Asda have been doing clothes for ages now, but I found their clothes even cheaper than before AND better quality than any Oz stuff I have to buy here.
We are going back with the same house deposit we came out here with. We are both in jobs which we "should" find easily enough when we get back or hopefully before we get back ( nursing and insurance ) Already had interest there so not as concerned about that one.
We plan to rent for 3 months when we get back and househunt inbetween. My aim is to offer well below the asking price.We can offer a quick settlement as we'll be renting which may suit some sellers out there. I'm just trying to get us settled quickly with a great house,affordable mortgage for once and the type of jobs we had before we left there. I can't forsee us being in trouble financially if we're on the same wages as before we left and have the same mortgage.( actually we'll be asking to borrow LOWER than we've ever had )

Maybe that's just naievety, but I don't think it's as bad as it's made out to be. People would be leaving in droves if it was. We know the press and the British LOVE to complain. Mind you - having lived in Oz for long enough - I think the ozzies are catching up!
Old Aug 30th 2008, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes, it's our age that worries me...and the fact that I'd rather poke myself repeatedly in the eye than teach in an English high school! Maybe I need to go back to Nursing.
How long have you been here?

Originally Posted by onepearlyb
We are both in jobs which we "should" find easily enough when we get back or hopefully before we get back ( nursing and insurance ) Already had interest there so not as concerned about that one.
Mind you - having lived in Oz for long enough - I think the ozzies are catching up!
Old Aug 30th 2008, 12:10 pm
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it's our age that worries me...and the fact that I'd rather poke myself repeatedly in the eye than teach in an English high school! Maybe I need to go back to Nursing.
How long have you been here?
Too long is the obvious answer. This is my third time here. First time was for a year in 1999, then for another year in 2001 and now since March 2007.
By the time we leave in January 2009 I'll have spent 4 years of my life in Oz......
Hmmmmmmm.
Definately not coming back for a fourth time after this one. Other things to do,people to see, places to go,eh?
Oh - and for the record - DON'T go back to Nursing! That's all I can say.;o)
Old Aug 30th 2008, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

I would not pay to much attention to the sensationialist British press. Look at this, after house prices have doubled in 5 years, they have fallen back 4.8% in 1 year. Big deal. Now if I lived in the USA, I would really be worried. Then again, they should pay more attention who they vote for. They should remember that Clinton left them with a 155 billion dollar surplus.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/pdf/p/hpi...August2008.pdf

Last edited by johnh009; Aug 30th 2008 at 2:45 pm.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 3:48 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Jobs may be harder to come by in a recession, but house prices will likely be cheaper and the pound sterling weaker. Both of these factors can make it easier to return.

Employment may not be such a problem for those in certain occupations that are in high demand, eg healthcare.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JAJ
Jobs may be harder to come by in a recession, but house prices will likely be cheaper and the pound sterling weaker. Both of these factors can make it easier to return.

Employment may not be such a problem for those in certain occupations that are in high demand, eg healthcare.

Exactly, I am loving this, house prices are falling in the UK and I am considering moving back. I am an engineer and I am finding that there is a shortage of skilled labour in this area in the UK.

Even better, I am in Canada where the banks, unlike the UK, had the foresight not to throw all of their investments into the USA and house prices are now stable here.

One day, British politicians will realise that America is not the centre of the universe.

Last edited by johnh009; Aug 30th 2008 at 4:07 pm.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 4:12 pm
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with most comments on here especially Pearly's about how cheap food/clothing is in the UK. I was there in April too and all I heard from friends and family was how expensive it had got so I was pleasantly surprised to see it was much cheaper than Australia. It was definitely more expensive than when we left 18 months ago but my money went further apart from petrol prices of course.

I, too think the press sensationalise everything. There's no denying things are tougher than a year ago but I don't know any one on a decent salary who is really really struggling. They are tightening their belts a little, sure but not struggling.

Whilst I was in the UK one of my BILs got made redundant the day after I arrived (a Friday). By Wednesday he had 8 interviews lined up and by the following Monday he had 5 jobs to choose from.

A friend of mine with no qualifications lost her job at a nursery and just to get some money in applied to all the supermarkets for a customer service desk job. She was offered 4 jobs and picked the one that offered the best hours to work around the kids. Only 6 weeks later she's proved herself and is now a supervisor. Not what she wants long term but she's starting college in September and will work in the supermarket to earn money around college/kids.

I have applied for 8 jobs and got 6 interviews. I've even been offered an interview for a specialized job I didn't even apply for after the company saw my application for another job. Trouble is it's in Dubai and I don't fancy moving from living on the edge of one desert to living in another.

There are opportunities out there despite the recession. Maybe it depends on whether you come from a disadvantaged area or not as to whether the work is out there. Maybe it depends on how you present yourself and your attitude. (not you Ezzie, the universal you).

Don't analyse things too much. It can just blow things out of proportion, however, I can fully understand your worries after 22 years out of the UK.

If you are going back to the Midlands I can think of 3 jobs right away you could apply for. Not in your field (as you are a teacher I believe) but just to get in the job market to begin with. Almost 50 isn't old and I think you'll find these days companies in the UK tend to prefer 'mature' workers who are reliable.

No-one truly knows how long this recession is going to last or how bad it is going to be, not even your friend, who is never wrong..
Old Aug 30th 2008, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by crystal23
I agree with most comments on here especially Pearly's about how cheap food/clothing is in the UK. I was there in April too and all I heard from friends and family was how expensive it had got so I was pleasantly surprised to see it was much cheaper than Australia. It was definitely more expensive than when we left 18 months ago but my money went further apart from petrol prices of course.

I, too think the press sensationalise everything. There's no denying things are tougher than a year ago but I don't know any one on a decent salary who is really really struggling. They are tightening their belts a little, sure but not struggling.

Whilst I was in the UK one of my BILs got made redundant the day after I arrived (a Friday). By Wednesday he had 8 interviews lined up and by the following Monday he had 5 jobs to choose from.

A friend of mine with no qualifications lost her job at a nursery and just to get some money in applied to all the supermarkets for a customer service desk job. She was offered 4 jobs and picked the one that offered the best hours to work around the kids. Only 6 weeks later she's proved herself and is now a supervisor. Not what she wants long term but she's starting college in September and will work in the supermarket to earn money around college/kids.

I have applied for 8 jobs and got 6 interviews. I've even been offered an interview for a specialized job I didn't even apply for after the company saw my application for another job. Trouble is it's in Dubai and I don't fancy moving from living on the edge of one desert to living in another.

There are opportunities out there despite the recession. Maybe it depends on whether you come from a disadvantaged area or not as to whether the work is out there. Maybe it depends on how you present yourself and your attitude. (not you Ezzie, the universal you).

Don't analyse things too much. It can just blow things out of proportion, however, I can fully understand your worries after 22 years out of the UK.

If you are going back to the Midlands I can think of 3 jobs right away you could apply for. Not in your field (as you are a teacher I believe) but just to get in the job market to begin with. Almost 50 isn't old and I think you'll find these days companies in the UK tend to prefer 'mature' workers who are reliable.

No-one truly knows how long this recession is going to last or how bad it is going to be, not even your friend, who is never wrong..
Hi there, at least, as a start, try this site:

www.jobsite.co.uk
Old Aug 30th 2008, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

whereamifrom has a spectacular aura aboutwhereamifrom has a spectacular aura aboutwhereamifrom has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by crystal23

I have have had 4 interviews, and one via webcam. They are waiting on my references to check out.

However, if you care to share those jobs in the Midlands, I would be able to send them a cv pronto. As you said, to get into the job market once I land.

Thanks!
Old Aug 30th 2008, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

One of the main reasons I am moving back to Australia is for the children I plan to have. Another one is that even if I return to the UK (although not planning to at all) I will be able to retire to Australia.

Everyone has their own reasons to do things in life, but all things being equal, I would never choose to retire to a country as chronically over-crowded and cold as the UK, if I had a sparsely-populated and warm place to live.

The recession is global by the way. Don't know about Australia but Britain is due to go down the pan sometime in the next nine months.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 8:43 pm
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by whereamifrom
I have have had 4 interviews, and one via webcam. They are waiting on my references to check out.

However, if you care to share those jobs in the Midlands, I would be able to send them a cv pronto. As you said, to get into the job market once I land.

Thanks!

The jobs I thought of are female-oriented. Sorry. I'll pm them to you if you like but I honestly don't think you would be interested.

If you haven't already, have you thought about looking at jobs at places directly such as local councils, NHS trusts, schools, colleges etc etc. From your posts you seem to be relying on agencies to put your cv out for you.

To get into the job market what about considering working as a traffic warden (no piss taking please), a hospital porter, warehouse picking, courier driving, delivering Tesco direct orders, airport security (you'd need a 5 year checkable work history for that and security clearance).

I'm sure none of those jobs would be what you want long term but they would give you an income to start with, UK experience and a reference for when you move on.

The other thing is that companies are starting to hire extra staff for Xmas (although they may be cutting the numbers taken on because of the credit crunch - I don't know). What about checking that out?

If I think of anything else I'll post it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.