Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back to Blighty...parents dead against it

Moving back to Blighty...parents dead against it

Old Jun 21st 2011, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

Location: Lancashire - Vic, Oz - hopefully Yorkshire or Devon
Basil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Moving back to Blighty...parents dead against it

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Those stupid shows have a lot to answer for, home and away or something was taking people to Florida fun in the sun. Yet there wasn't mention of visas and how these people were going to be able to even move there.
Plus those shows don't mention any of the negative aspects like the expensive cost of living for example in Aus and sooooo many other things that you only become aware of once you actually have to live your daily life here.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 1:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

Yeah, I guess it wouldnt have been much of a show if there were all these hurdles...its about living the dream...I heard Jeremy hardy on the radio (podcast) call it temperature based colonialism!! hehe!

I cannot believe how much getting sick worries me here,,,,no sick leave no free care...i feel fine but what if? so glad my dad had the NHS...what a worry it would have been to wait for those bills....
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 2:27 am
Forum Regular

Debbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud of

I now realise the phrase 'living the dream' is actually not very grown up. Please don't be offended by that if you don't agree. I'm also aware (now) of a bit of an, 'I'm a better expat than you' going on, even if if it's not meant that way. Basically, I'm happy what's your problem ? I've realised there are 'fantastic expats' where everything is fantastic. So, every day for the last four years has been fantastic on a daily basis ? Say no more. I wondered where people would have had to come from in Britian to make NZ look good. I wondered that before we left and got a few clues. Now I know. I also wondered what sort of 'back against the wall' motivation people had for leaving Britain. Reading other threads and also sometimes getting a PM, I'm understanding more of this. I've also read on BE that those who had it good in Britain but fancied a change might not stay but those escaping from a broken relationship, money problems, personal issues and could do with a change of direction probably stay. Nobody needs to take offence at the above, it's just a personal observation.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 5:39 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

I wondered where people would have had to come from in Britain to make NZ look good.
It would be good to research some of this.... who stays who goes etc. I came for adventure and now having spent everything wish I could go back! I cant stand people slagging off the UK! but also stand up for Oz now too! Im destined to be confused!!

Maybe its about identity? Ill always be an English woman...even though Im an Australian citizen... thats just me! and as has been said I dont believe really that theres a dream destination...its horses for courses....
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

Location: Lancashire - Vic, Oz - hopefully Yorkshire or Devon
Basil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by pompeyblonde
It would be good to research some of this.... who stays who goes etc. I came for adventure and now having spent everything wish I could go back! I cant stand people slagging off the UK! but also stand up for Oz now too! Im destined to be confused!!

Maybe its about identity? Ill always be an English woman...even though Im an Australian citizen... thats just me! and as has been said I dont believe really that theres a dream destination...its horses for courses....
Well we came to Aus in August 2001 because my OH was offered a job in Melbourne at the end of June 2001 and we were given just 7 days to make a decision!!! At the time we had just bought a lovely old semi in a place that I'd always wanted to live, had a good social life, were debt-free (except the mortgage) and our 7 y/o son was doing really well in school. To be honest I wasn't that struck on making the move to Aus, however we didn't want to regret not trying it out and decided that we would give it a go. I didn't want to come to Australia permanently and that has never really changed for me, whereas my OH talked about staying forever in the first few years and has gradually become bored / disillusioned with Aus as the years went by. I think that because we had such a good thing going before we left and because we had nothing to "escape from" over there combined with the fact that it was never meant to be a permanent move we have never truly settled here.

You sound like me PompeyBlonde - I'm a true English woman too and do get a bit sick of the Aussies constantly slagging off the UK. I work in retail and meet new faces all the time (mainly Aussies but quite a few Brits too in our area) & I have discovered that there seems to be 3 different categories of Aussies: -

The well-travelled Aussie - has been to the UK & Europe at least once and whilst they love Australia, they tend to be very complimentary about the UK and marvel at it's history, architecture, landscape & country pubs, etc.

The well-travelled / patriotic Aussie - as above but insists that while the UK has some nice features it doesn't compare to Aus because Aus has everything and is "the best country in the world".

The ignorant Aussie - has rarely/never been out of Aus & has no intention of ever setting foot in the UK because it's "a dump and is full of poms".

In my personal experience I would say that the last category tends to tip the scales slightly and I've encountered many a rude Aussie who will put down the UK at every opportunity (including my own work colleagues who are all Australian and most of whom have never really travelled).

In the last 2 weeks alone I have had one Aussie say to me "You poor thing" when I said I was returning to the UK after 10 years (I made sure that I kept smiling and told him that I can't wait to get back because there's so much about the UK that I love & miss), then another Aussie said that "Poms can't speak English properly" - he was referring to our dialects and in particular about a UK programme he had watched where a little girl talked about having a 'eater in her bedroom and not a heater (again I kept smiling and told him that the Aussies are as bad as they drop plenty of letters too (think 'Stralia rather than Australia)) and another Aussie said to me yesterday that I have a "nasty accent" because I'm British (I didn't smile at this customer cos I thought he was pretty rude - I just carried on writing his order and told him that I rather like my accent). I just turn the other cheek now but I have to admit that it does get tedious after 10 years of it.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Basil Brush
Sounds like you had a great time with your Dad & FIL and that's what it's all about at the end of the day - spending time with our loved ones can give a lot more joy than sitting in our huge mansions everyday on the other side of the world

It's good that you have continued to drop in with updates about the UK Brits1 - I remember you leaving Aus 12 mths ago. It's encouraging to hear positive stories of returnees because many of them just head back and either regret the move and become ping-pongers or they are happy that they made the move back but stop posting on BE so we never get a chance to hear how happy they are.
Yes, I did have a lovely time...more's the point so did the "Fathers".....my Dad now raves about Frankie and Benny's..lol...at nearly 83...that's so cute...lol...

I felt the same about reading Expats when planning our return...I did say that once we were "back home" I would drop a "line" the get on with my life.....lol...I have "got on with my life" but now and again I visit expats just because I remember how I felt when wanting extra reasurrance etc....not really that just a bit of a "help" when having a day at work etc that sounds a bit like yours did the the other day...(I read your other quote..lol...your a saint to put up with the comments!!) it's like reading Quols common sense replies...priceless...I suppose it's all down to being happy where your really happy...large homes, hot weather etc are all very,very nice but don't always do the trick.....spent yesterday with my MIL shopping and what a laugh we had....cannot buy those moments...
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

vauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond repute

Some advice from an old man....short version.
I spent 10yrs in Kent/London, loved it!
Being poor in the UK is not on, a decent salary and choosing where to live - Sevenoaks/Tonbridge Wells/Crowborough/Matfield - good schools, lovely areas.
Been back in SA 4 yrs, Zuma/Malema/corruption and the grandkids future insist the future lies elswhere.
My only resevation is you say you miss your job and the London highlife, please don't shortchange your kids futures for what you want, make it a balanced decision.
I came back to SA for the sake of others, always meaning to retire back near London, And now can't because of illness -a great personal sadness.
So, whilst being careful about your decision, and how it will affect your family, do follow your heart, you've only one life to live.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 10:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maddyjvn
Oh I so can't wait!! I've been dreaming of going to work on the tube!! Am I mad? Probably but I really can't wait.

Busking or pickpocket?
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 11:11 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pompeyblonde
Yeah, I guess it wouldnt have been much of a show if there were all these hurdles...its about living the dream...I heard Jeremy hardy on the radio (podcast) call it temperature based colonialism!! hehe!

I cannot believe how much getting sick worries me here,,,,no sick leave no free care...i feel fine but what if? so glad my dad had the NHS...what a worry it would have been to wait for those bills....
Are you on some kind of visa and is that the reason why you don't get free healthcare? Just wondering as that was never a concern of mine in Australia, but then again I was a permanent resident for almost 30 years.

Definitely agree that these TV shows have a lot to answer for, all that fun in the sun..........
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 8:20 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't it interesting that I have read elsewhere how people have never met an Aussie that wasn't wonderful and helpful unfortunately this country is still very insecure and they feel the need to put down every other country at every opportunity regardless of whether they have been outside this country or not. Heaven help you if you are critical about Straya though, it's one way traffic only

In the last 2 weeks alone I have had one Aussie say to me "You poor thing" when I said I was returning to the UK after 10 years (I made sure that I kept smiling and told him that I can't wait to get back because there's so much about the UK that I love & miss), then another Aussie said that "Poms can't speak English properly" - he was referring to our dialects and in particular about a UK programme he had watched where a little girl talked about having a 'eater in her bedroom and not a heater (again I kept smiling and told him that the Aussies are as bad as they drop plenty of letters too (think 'Stralia rather than Australia)) and another Aussie said to me yesterday that I have a "nasty accent" because I'm British (I didn't smile at this customer cos I thought he was pretty rude - I just carried on writing his order and told him that I rather like my accent). I just turn the other cheek now but I have to admit that it does get tedious after 10 years of it.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 8:24 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Isn't it interesting that I have read elsewhere how people have never met an Aussie that wasn't wonderful and helpful unfortunately this country is still very insecure and they feel the need to put down every other country at every opportunity regardless of whether they have been outside this country or not. Heaven help you if you are critical about Straya though, it's one way traffic only
Now that would be very Un-Australian!!
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 9:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955

Can't say that I've experienced that at all. As a foreigner to both the UK and Oz, I have found the Ozzies very helpful and friendly just about everywhere I've been.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

diana97 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll put my 2 cents worth in. My parents are British and i was raised in Canada and also lived in the U.S. I moved to London 17 years ago for a relationship and because I had the passport. My relationship broke down then I met an Australian and we are now married. I visit Australia with my eyes wide open. On my first visit, it struck me how similar it is to Canada, albeit with different trees/landscape. I don't care for the cities at all, with the exception of Sydney because of its harbour. I love the countryside in Australia but I wouldn't want to live there. My parents always dumped on the UK when I was growing up but then the UK was a different place when they were youjng. It was a different place when I moved here in the early 90s. We DO go to Europe all the time: Athens, Istanbul, Amalfi Coast, Morocco, Andalucia - each place as different and as exotic as the next. Australia is a mono-culture. Even my husband agrees. There is nothing like arriving in Paris off the Eurostar in London from the beautiful St Pancras. I always intended to move back to Canada. My mom is still there. I visit once a year and again, i keep my eyes wide open. As much as I love Canada, I adore London more. This city has it all and I never stop telling people that. It is beautiful, leafy and civilised. Sure, people are pushy on the Tube but my London rule is to move one street north or south and the crowds disappear. The night before the Royal Wedding, I wandered down the Mall and talked to some Canadians on holiday. I truly pitied them for not living here. I work in Mayfair and sometimes, in the summer, I love nothing more than to walk home to Hammersmith through Hyde Park as the sun sets. I live in a nice apartment (we DON'T have a lot of money) and I cook most evenings. This city is so charming, it kills me sometimes. I find it easy to live here. Sure, there's crime but hand on heart, I experienced and saw more crime in Canada than i have the entire time I have lived in London. Don't believe everything the Daily Mail says.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 9:16 pm
Mad Moo plus 2

Maddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Alfresco

Busking or pickpocket?
oh no sex worker for sure!! Brixton tube here I come.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 11:56 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Something else that is a big problem on another forum is people who have never even lived in Australia giving people advise about life here and telling them how much things cost and how great everything is

Plus those shows don't mention any of the negative aspects like the expensive cost of living for example in Aus and sooooo many other things that you only become aware of once you actually have to live your daily life here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.