British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Moving back to Blighty...parents dead against it (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/moving-back-blighty-parents-dead-against-721311/)

Maddyjvn Jun 17th 2011 10:25 am

Moving back to Blighty...parents dead against it

My parents live in Dubai..well one half the other is in the UK still. The Dubai contingent was disgusted when I suggested we might move back. No jobs and everyone's depressed?? really? Is this true? Would love to hear your throughts.

Hubby and I have battled with the fact no one in SA wants to employ me as a Brit at the same level as I was in the UK, as despite 12 years Executive Board and company Secretary EA experience, SA seems resigned to believe I am simply a secretary. (I don't think they understand my CV and the extent to which I had travelled, had my own teams, budgets, they can't comprehend a proper EA here).

I would love to move home, obviously for family reasons, we've only been here for 3 years but i do miss everyone. I also am not impressed with education here and think our baby daughter would be better off in the UK system.

So advice, support, people think we're mental your comments would be valued!

shiftdelete Jun 17th 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Moving back to Blighty...parents dead against it

Originally Posted by Maddyjvn (Post 9439006)
My parents live in Dubai..well one half the other is in the UK still. The Dubai contingent was disgusted when I suggested we might move back. No jobs and everyone's depressed?? really? Is this true? Would love to hear your throughts.

Hubby and I have battled with the fact no one in SA wants to employ me as a Brit at the same level as I was in the UK, as despite 12 years Executive Board and company Secretary EA experience, SA seems resigned to believe I am simply a secretary. (I don't think they understand my CV and the extent to which I had travelled, had my own teams, budgets, they can't comprehend a proper EA here).

I would love to move home, obviously for family reasons, we've only been here for 3 years but i do miss everyone. I also am not impressed with education here and think our baby daughter would be better off in the UK system.

So advice, support, people think we're mental your comments would be valued!

;) can't help thinking you need some sage commentary from Pablo right now ....but for me you should go where the future is right for the long-term- your concerns provide you with the answer you already protect in your heart....Dr.SD

nun Jun 17th 2011 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by Maddyjvn (Post 9439006)
My parents live in Dubai..well one half the other is in the UK still. The Dubai contingent was disgusted when I suggested we might move back. No jobs and everyone's depressed?? really? Is this true?

Does the Dubai contingent read the Daily Mail?

Seriously, everywhere has good and bad aspects. There are numerous factors to be weighed and only you know what will be best for you and your family.

PS I know plenty of people in the UK who love it, and one in particular who returned from the US and has been very happy. She loves that she doesn't have to worry about health insurance and can watch the first runs of Psychoville!

OakvilleSarah Jun 17th 2011 6:42 pm

We are coming home from Canada after 5 years. I will miss it but Canada isn't home and I know I want to be in the UK. I also think my children will be better off in UK schools (good schools).

Do what you feel is right, going home is a move forward and a new adventure (Yoda style advice over) :D

MagsB Jun 17th 2011 7:07 pm

Maddy, we will be returning to the UK (from SA) hopefully early next year. Our decision mainly revolved round the future of our daughter. Good luck, I'm sure you've made the right choice.

Nyz Jun 18th 2011 5:29 am

Oh gosh, your parents sound like my in-laws, and they don't even live in the UK, but they firmly believe in the Daily Mail's broken Britain attitude. They think we are crazy to move back to the UK.

I'm still dithering but know that my heart is in the UK and that LA will never be home.

I wish you luck with your decision.

chris955 Jun 18th 2011 6:32 am

Well all our friends are employed and none are depressed, I could just be lucky because we know people that make up the 93% of the workforce that are employed.
I was in the UK late last year and saw enough to make us decide to return permanently later this year.
Your parents do sound like dyed in the wool Daily Mail readers I'm afraid.

ducktastic Jun 18th 2011 7:45 am

We returned from Canada on the 1st June to the UK.

Within two weeks we have a house to live in and both have landed jobs. All my friends are employed and happy, and live well.

There are jobs if you have skills and personality.

We don't regret coming back one bit, it is so lovely to be home. I thought I would miss the Vancouver vista, but with a view of the rolling Cotswolds from my house, that is hard!

My bit of Yoda advice is: do what you want to do, and NEVER live your life to please others.

Which area of the UK are you thinking of returning to?

Maddyjvn Jun 18th 2011 1:08 pm

Thanks everyone...We're really thinking about moving back to Greater London or Kent, Surrey etc. Somewhere commutable to London where I have a guarrented job!!

LP9 Jun 18th 2011 4:11 pm

I'm chomping at the bit, ready to return after 18 years. I've spent half my life in the US now, and I was skeptical about coming in the first place, but I stuck it out. Its time for me. I'll make it one way or another.

Maddyjvn Jun 18th 2011 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by LP9 (Post 9441124)
I'm chomping at the bit, ready to return after 18 years. I've spent half my life in the US now, and I was skeptical about coming in the first place, but I stuck it out. Its time for me. I'll make it one way or another.

Good luck. I think we are almost 99% decided. Just got a feew loose ends her to tie up and find some nice family member to stay with for a while when we get back then I can pack and go. Hubby's going to stay here a while and get the house rented out.

OakvilleSarah Jun 18th 2011 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by ducktastic (Post 9440580)
We returned from Canada on the 1st June to the UK.

Within two weeks we have a house to live in and both have landed jobs. All my friends are employed and happy, and live well.

There are jobs if you have skills and personality.

We don't regret coming back one bit, it is so lovely to be home. I thought I would miss the Vancouver vista, but with a view of the rolling Cotswolds from my house, that is hard!

My bit of Yoda advice is: do what you want to do, and NEVER live your life to please others.

Which area of the UK are you thinking of returning to?

I am so happy to hear that, as much as i'm looking forward to going home, the thought of starting over is daunting, I have a fabulous school lined up for the kids and my husband has a job, everything is falling into place, we just need to sell the house now.

My sister in law is rolling out the red carpet for us. I have 10 weeks left in Canada before I go home in time for the kids to start their new school. I'm having dreams about walking up and down the aisles in Sainsbury's, (not the most exciting dream to be honest :o )

I'm glad to hear your move has gone well.

Dashie Jun 18th 2011 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by OakvilleSarah (Post 9441270)
I'm having dreams about walking up and down the aisles in Sainsbury's, (not the most exciting dream to be honest :o )

I think I have the same dream about Tesco ;)

Although Sainsbury's clothes are much nicer :)

MagsB Jun 18th 2011 8:08 pm

Maddy, if I may ask, what made you decide apart from the edu system? For us this has by far the hardest decision we've ever had to made. I love South Africa so much, and I have always been the eternal optimist about SA's future. But over the past couple of years I have found my optimism and hope drain away almost completely. I think the reality is that I've started to fear for my 6 year old daughter's future, and also for our own old age here in SA.

ducktastic Jun 18th 2011 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by OakvilleSarah (Post 9441270)
I am so happy to hear that, as much as i'm looking forward to going home, the thought of starting over is daunting, I have a fabulous school lined up for the kids and my husband has a job, everything is falling into place, we just need to sell the house now.

My sister in law is rolling out the red carpet for us. I have 10 weeks left in Canada before I go home in time for the kids to start their new school. I'm having dreams about walking up and down the aisles in Sainsbury's, (not the most exciting dream to be honest :o )

I'm glad to hear your move has gone well.

Don't worry, I get it, on my first morning back in the Uk I drove to waitrose and wandered around the aisles beaming from ear to ear!!