Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back after 14 years !!!!

Moving back after 14 years !!!!

Old Jan 6th 2011, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

Bootleg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back after 14 years !!!!

Well we have 6 months until we move back to the UK and I cant wait. We never thought we would return but decided 2 years ago that with aging parents it was probably the right thing to do. We will have a daughter going to university, a daughter starting 6th form and a son going into school at 13 so it does all work out quite well. We will not be returning to an area we are familiar with as the job is near East Midlands Airport so any advice on Derbyshire would be gratefully appreciated. We will rent for the first year while we suss out the areas. I am already sick of people saying ..." why would you want to go back there" ...... We are currently in Dubai and do enjoy the sunshine but this place has no soul.

Well thats all for now, really enjoy the forum.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Moving back after 14 years !!!!

Would love to hear how it all goes as I've been away that length and am considering moving back.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

I moved back after 21yrs and was shocked to the amount of change, Deirdre Barlow has changed her glasses and Emmerdale Farm is now just called Emmerdale.

Old Jan 6th 2011, 8:18 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
I moved back after 21yrs and was shocked to the amount of change, Deirdre Barlow has changed her glasses and Emmerdale Farm is now just called Emmerdale.

Old Jan 6th 2011, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
18 sleeps and a wake up......going home after 34 yrs in the US...
Old Jan 6th 2011, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
You think I am getting excited BEE..lol..you're right behind me girl..
Old Jan 6th 2011, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond repute

Been in the U.S 15 years and as soon as the house is sold we will be outta here, love Florida but now we've made the decision I want to go. Had someone viewing the house today fingers crossed.
OMG can't believe Diedre change her glasses, you would have thought they would have put that on the news
Old Jan 7th 2011, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bootleg
Well we have 6 months until we move back to the UK and I cant wait. We never thought we would return but decided 2 years ago that with aging parents it was probably the right thing to do. We will have a daughter going to university, a daughter starting 6th form and a son going into school at 13 so it does all work out quite well. We will not be returning to an area we are familiar with as the job is near East Midlands Airport so any advice on Derbyshire would be gratefully appreciated. We will rent for the first year while we suss out the areas. I am already sick of people saying ..." why would you want to go back there" ...... We are currently in Dubai and do enjoy the sunshine but this place has no soul.

Good luck, look out for ByeDubai, also posting on here regarding a move back from Dubai. You can compare notes and give each other moral support. Always a good thing, I feel.
Old Jan 7th 2011, 5:40 am
Just Joined

Bootleg is an unknown quantity at this point

I may have been out of the UK but still manage to get Corrie and Eastenders which is quite sad really!!!!
Old Jan 7th 2011, 6:28 am
Forum Regular

flbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really nice

I envy you ! Wish l could go back to the UK. I've been living in the US for 13 yrs now and l'd go back in a heartbeat,and,of course,all my friends back home think l'm crazy Unfortunately,l'm unlikely to be going back there to live,l'm sorta stuck here really due to circumstances. Maybe when l retire,the best l could hope for would be to live some of the year back there...oh well could be worse ! Good luck with the move.

Old Jan 7th 2011, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Sentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond repute

Feeling hopefull that the house will sell this time. A couple came yesterday and loved it then they came back last night so hope that is a good sign.
We thought it was sold at Christmas, but we decided not to accept the offer. This time I think they will offer a decent price. We are selling at a low price so we can get back home but I ain't giving it away.
Old Jan 7th 2011, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

SuperRams is a name known to allSuperRams is a name known to allSuperRams is a name known to allSuperRams is a name known to allSuperRams is a name known to allSuperRams is a name known to allSuperRams is a name known to allSuperRams is a name known to allSuperRams is a name known to allSuperRams is a name known to allSuperRams is a name known to all

Originally Posted by flbrit59
I envy you ! Wish l could go back to the UK. I've been living in the US for 13 yrs now and l'd go back in a heartbeat,and,of course,all my friends back home think l'm crazy Unfortunately,l'm unlikely to be going back there to live,l'm sorta stuck here really due to circumstances. Maybe when l retire,the best l could hope for would be to live some of the year back there...oh well could be worse ! Good luck with the move.
I soooooooo hear you!
Old Jan 7th 2011, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

MNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really nice

We live in the East Midlands, Leicestershire and we are very happy here (did live in USA for 10 years but returned many years ago). I only know Leicestershire villages, but there are some lovely places in North Leicestershire. There are lots of open spaces (Bradgate Park comes to mind with red deer roaming around and lots of space for walking). We have chosen to live in a market town (we live in south Leics), but friends live in Cossington, a lovely village, Rothley too is a lovely village. Lots of canal side walks and canal side pubs to eat by the water (not as warm as Dubai, but we take the dogs and sit outside when weather permits).

Good luck on your move back (and you will love East Midlands Airport for travel, so easy to park and get to, and so many destinations on the doorstep.
Old Jan 7th 2011, 4:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold

I moved back to the UK after 12 years in Australia, I really like being back (though there are a few things that drive me mental) but mostly it's been a really positive experience.

Yes some things had changed, but it's still home, so hopefully you and your family will really enjoy the experience of coming back. There's nothing like being able to say to your family "I'll pop up this weekend and see you then" and just being able to jump in the car and go visit people without planning months in advance! (snow permitting at the moment mind you) and no traumatic airport farewell at the end of the trip to dread, you'll see them again in a few weeks or days even!

And as much as I LOVED the south coast of NSW the more diverse experience of being able to do European city breaks is fab too.
Old Jan 7th 2011, 10:20 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

I may have been out of the UK but still manage to get Corrie and Eastenders which is quite sad really!!!!
I am a Coronation Street addict LOL!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.