moving back

Old Jun 2nd 2005, 5:01 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: moving back

Originally Posted by Amanda&Paul
Women don't tend to move away from their family circle in the way men do and they also benefit more from the help and support given by family.
Not all women....

I think sometimes it's because people have kids who they tend to give to the grandparents quite a lot and they miss the fact that there's noone but themselves to take care of them so they have no social life like maybe they did back home.
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 2:58 am
Franklin

Originally Posted by aussie73
Having read alot of threads, why does it always seem its the wife in OZ or NZ that is homesick and wants to return to the UK, while the Husband loves the place, is there an explanation for the difference between the sexes.
Sort of happened to me in reverse. I married a non-Brit in the UK and we settled in the UK, but she got homesick for her home country, missed her job, missed sibling contact, missed friends, missed just about everything American.

So we moved back to her country so that she could be near her siblings and friends, and get a decent job again. Because of my job/career I was used to big moves and coped with leaving my home country quite well.

The only thing that really did my head in was having a mother back home who had difficulty doing shopping etc (severe arthritis and other medical conditions), and she missed having me visit often and got very lonely and felt very isolated. I couldn't cope with that, it just played on my mind that she was so lonely and depressed. My other siblings were not much help, it happens like that sometimes.

Soon as I got citizenship in the USA I sponsored my mum for a Green Card under the Immediate Relative program.

Now I have my mum with me and what a relief that was.

Of course, she now misses not seeing her friends back in the UK and spends hours on the phone talking to them!

Can't really win!

Old Jun 3rd 2005, 5:55 am
Forum Regular

Amanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really nice

Originally Posted by bridiej
Not all women....

I think sometimes it's because people have kids who they tend to give to the grandparents quite a lot and they miss the fact that there's noone but themselves to take care of them so they have no social life like maybe they did back home.

I reckon you've hit the nail on the head there.
Old Jun 4th 2005, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

My wifes a Kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by its grim up north
my wife has told me she wants to return to the uk as she dislikes nz and she miss;s her family ,im putting on a brave face but im gutted, i had a look at property on the net today and their so poxy ,are kids are settled and we have two new buisness;s that are just picking up ,we have been having some arguements lately ,but i feel she is being selfish ,its a case of like it or lump it and the kids go with her , just needed to get it off my chest
Its funny I have the opposite problem, my wife after 15 years of living in the UK wants to go back to NZ. Its caused no end of arguments and problems at home. We went there on a visit a couple of months ago and she has been so homesick since we got back. I am tempted to go to NZ but some of the financial aspects of living there and missing some good friends we have here puts me off. She says she feels trapped here and there's no freedom. She has a point we live near London and its a bit of a rat race. All I can say is I am in the same boat and know where your coming from its a tough one.
Old Jun 4th 2005, 8:45 pm
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice

Originally Posted by My wifes a Kiwi
Its funny I have the opposite problem, my wife after 15 years of living in the UK wants to go back to NZ. Its caused no end of arguments and problems at home. We went there on a visit a couple of months ago and she has been so homesick since we got back. I am tempted to go to NZ but some of the financial aspects of living there and missing some good friends we have here puts me off. She says she feels trapped here and there's no freedom. She has a point we live near London and its a bit of a rat race. All I can say is I am in the same boat and know where your coming from its a tough one.
You could always swap wives !! :scared:
Old Jun 4th 2005, 10:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by heading downunder 2002
You could always swap wives !! :scared:

Bloody good idea if shes got big LaLa's I'll go for it.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 11:46 pm
Professional Princess

Bloody good idea if shes got big LaLa's I'll go for it.

PMSL

Big LaLa's - Ive never heard them called that before.

Old Jun 10th 2005, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
PMSL

Big LaLa's - Ive never heard them called that before.
LOL You hear it lot now (in the UK) quite a nice term for them
I think.
Old Jun 10th 2005, 3:03 pm
Professional Princess

LOL You hear it lot now (in the UK) quite a nice term for them
I think.

Come and chew on my LaLa's

Fantastic - my new word.

Old Jun 10th 2005, 7:51 pm
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Come and chew on my LaLa's

Fantastic - my new word.
hehe, in my family we call them LooLa's . haven't a clue where it came from.
all mad i tellya.
Old Jun 11th 2005, 10:34 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by louise4
hehe, in my family we call them LooLa's . haven't a clue where it came from.
all mad i tellya.
LooLa's nice take on Laa Laa's not heard that one.