Moved to Wales

Old Mar 30th 2021, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

Gloriajean is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moved to Wales

Hi I moved from Canada to U.K. I’m British returned to U.K. after 40 years in Canada after my husband passed away I only get Canada old age pension and I have riff in Canada I just sold my home I’m wondering I don’t get any money from U.K. my question is can you still file taxes in Canada if you don’t live there because I get my pension and have my investment money there that I cannot transfer to U.K. thanks
Old Mar 31st 2021, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moved to Wales

Have you completed the NR73 form yet? Google it to check it out. That determines whether Canada still deems you tax resident so could be a good starting point? If you’re not, it saves you the pain of filing taxes. Presumably somewhere along the way, you’ll need/want to transfer funds to the UK - there are better options than banks when you need to do that, like Transferwise ( think they’ve changed their name recently though) and other similar companies.
Old Mar 31st 2021, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Twitcher1958
Have you completed the NR73 form yet? Google it to check it out. That determines whether Canada still deems you tax resident so could be a good starting point? If you’re not, it saves you the pain of filing taxes. Presumably somewhere along the way, you’ll need/want to transfer funds to the UK - there are better options than banks when you need to do that, like Transferwise ( think they’ve changed their name recently though) and other similar companies.
You don’t need to complete NR73. I’m getting my pension from Canada so I think I’ll have to file tax there every year
Old Mar 31st 2021, 3:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gloriajean
You don’t need to complete NR73. I’m getting my pension from Canada so I think I’ll have to file tax there every year
You shouldn't be paying tax in Canada if you're not tax resident there though?
Old Mar 31st 2021, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You shouldn't be paying tax in Canada if you're not tax resident there though?
That was my thinking too. Just getting Canadian pension won’t necessarily mean Canadian tax residency, if that’s the only tie. I think that’s the purpose of NR73 - for the CRA to look at ties to Canada and determine status of tax residency.
Old Mar 31st 2021, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

I only get money from Canada I think I have to file N4. Non residence form. I’m a pensioner I don’t get money in U.K.
Old Mar 31st 2021, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

Someone on here must be getting a old age pension for Canada living in U.K. any other info
Old Mar 31st 2021, 4:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I only get money from Canada I think I have to file N4. Non residence form. I’m a pensioner I don’t get money in U.K.
Which country you get money from isn't relevant. There are some exceptions, but generally speaking you should be paying tax wherever you are living/resident. If you are tax resident in the UK (https://www.gov.uk/tax-foreign-income/residence) then that's where you should be paying tax.

HTH.

Old Mar 31st 2021, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Which country you get money from isn't relevant. There are some exceptions, but generally speaking you should be paying tax wherever you are living/resident. If you are tax resident in the UK (https://www.gov.uk/tax-foreign-income/residence) then that's where you should be paying tax.

HTH.
That would my understanding as well, unless there is a tax treaty between Canada and the UK that says otherwise. In the UK self assessment forms there is a section on reporting foreign pensions so it is very easy to declare. (I report and pay tax to HMRC from 2 US private pensions, plus my US State pension will also be taxed in the UK).

There is a treaty and article 17 covering pensions clearly states that pensions in Canada are taxed in the UK if the recipient resides in the UK.
https://www.canada.ca/en/department-...1980-1985.html

Last edited by durham_lad; Mar 31st 2021 at 5:47 pm.
Old Apr 3rd 2021, 7:16 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

You will be classed as an Emigrant if you have left Canada and taken up residence permanently in another country anyway. See the following links for information about taxes, tax returns, potential benefits you may be able to claim

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...emigrants.html
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...ction-217.html
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...cy-status.html
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...ts-canada.html

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 3rd 2021 at 7:20 pm.