Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Mom wants to move back to UK

Mom wants to move back to UK

Old Dec 11th 2004, 6:58 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice
Default Re: Mom wants to move back to UK

I do not think it is fair for the rest of the UK to subsidise people who have spent most of there lives outside of the UK, and have contributed nothing.

Coming "home" just to enjoy free pension and health is not fair on people in the UK who are paying big deductions to cover this.

Firstly, she went there as a child. Had no choice in the matter.

Secondly, she IS a citizen, unlike many who go in illegally and obtain benefits.

Thirdly, just be glad you haven't made a home in a third world country that you have to leave practically destitute (unless you're megawealthy looking at the pound/rand exchange rate here), like so many hundreds of thousands have had to do in recent years.

As to healthcare. A close friend of mine went over from S.A. to have a liver transplant last year, and found the service absolutely spectacular compared to what she was used to in S.A.
Old Dec 12th 2004, 2:04 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aud123
.... She left when she was a child and has never worked in the UK therfore has never contributed to NI.She is now turning 60, ....
Excuse me for asking, but after 50 years outside the UK why is she looking to return now. Surely she has no friends there, nor relatives that she is familiar with, so why go through such a major upheaval just around the time of life that most people are looking to take it easy?
Old Dec 12th 2004, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

aud123 will become famous soon enoughaud123 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Excuse me for asking, but after 50 years outside the UK why is she looking to return now. Surely she has no friends there, nor relatives that she is familiar with, so why go through such a major upheaval just around the time of life that most people are looking to take it easy?
Mom has two daughters, I live in the UK and my sister in Australia so she is alone in SA apart from a sister. Missing out on the grandchildren etc.Would make sense for her to be near one of us.She is exploring her options at present and nothing is definite.