Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Leaving Brissy and going back to the UK!!

Leaving Brissy and going back to the UK!!

Old Dec 7th 2004, 1:57 am
LKB
Just Joined

LKB is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Leaving Brissy and going back to the UK!!

Hi Everyone,

I'm leaving to go back to the UK on the 23/12/04. Last minute thing but things aren't working out with my new in-laws!!! I've read some other threads and its so refreshing to read other people's thoughts on Australia (ns) and realise that I'm not alone in my thinking....so thanks to everyone for taking the time to do that. I have often referred to this website over the last year or so and it has been so helpful during the times when I had noone!

Anyway, it's very daunting and I will be going home with and to nothing. Except my family of course!!!

I'm just wondering if you are able to claim back any tax, like the aussies do in the UK. I believe that you can get your super back?

Also, can anyone recommend a good shipping company. I only need to send 2 standard cartons to the UK?

Thanks so much!!!!!

Louisa
Old Dec 7th 2004, 2:09 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving Brissy and going back to the UK!!

Originally Posted by LKB
H

I'm just wondering if you are able to claim back any tax, like the aussies do in the UK. I believe that you can get your super back?
How long have you been in Australia, and what's your visa status? (it's relevant for superannuation)

Jeremy
Old Dec 7th 2004, 3:10 am
LKB
Just Joined

Hi Jeremy,

I've been in Australia for approx 18mths. I am on a temporary resident defacto visa. This would have been permanent early next year.

Thanks for replying!!

Louisa
Old Dec 7th 2004, 4:39 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LKB
Hi Jeremy,

I've been in Australia for approx 18mths. I am on a temporary resident defacto visa. This would have been permanent early next year.

Thanks for replying!!

Louisa
On super, it looks like you should be able to get this money back as your visa is not a permanent one. There will be a tax witheld, as far as I know.
http://www.ato.gov.au/content/23357.htm

On a tax rebate, the answer is 'probably' but you may need to wait until you've done your tax return. The rebate depends on your final tax liability vs what has been deducted from your pay.

Jeremy
Old Dec 7th 2004, 7:48 am

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there

We are in NZ and due back late Jan to the UK. We have been advised by the tax office here that we will be entitled to approx $4k NZ. Pray that this is true as like yourself we are going back with no money to talk about.

Good luck
xx
Old Dec 7th 2004, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

dave66 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm going back as well. Going back with no dosh seems to be the general rule of thumb !!
Old Dec 7th 2004, 12:49 pm
Just Joined

Bellefield is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LKB
Hi Everyone,

I'm leaving to go back to the UK on the 23/12/04. Last minute thing but things aren't working out with my new in-laws!!! I've read some other threads and its so refreshing to read other people's thoughts on Australia (ns) and realise that I'm not alone in my thinking....so thanks to everyone for taking the time to do that. I have often referred to this website over the last year or so and it has been so helpful during the times when I had noone!

Anyway, it's very daunting and I will be going home with and to nothing. Except my family of course!!!

Also, can anyone recommend a good shipping company. I only need to send 2 standard cartons to the UK?

Thanks so much!!!!!

Louisa

Hi Louisa,
Thank God everyone else is having the same daunting problems to face when going back to the UK. Money!!! I'm going back in Feb.
I don't know about super, but a tax return is possible. You need to get a Request for Early Assessment from the tax office along with a Tax Return for Individuals-this form will say 2004, but you have to cross it out and put 2005.
You also need to request an early issue of your group certificate from your employer when you leave work. It can all be done from the UK.
As far as shipping goes, I'm using John Mason/Wridgeways, only because I have used them before.
Good Luck
Old Dec 7th 2004, 7:20 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davebwithane
I'm going back as well. Going back with no dosh seems to be the general rule of thumb !!

I thought I would have SOME money, but the dollar keeps slipping down!!! Guess we'll all be poor... but happy!
Old Dec 7th 2004, 11:23 pm
LKB
Just Joined

Thanks as always for the advice!!!

I will probably wait until I'm in the UK to sort it all out as my head is confused enough already!!

I have to admit it does hurt when I think of going from a nice house to living with my family and the prospect of not being able to buy a house again EVER! but I keep telling myself...it's all material.

An expensive lesson to have learnt but I guess that's what life is all about!

I'm booking my ticket today and I should arrive on xmas eve. My family are excited and I feel mean that I'm not. Just find it very daunting (having to start again and on my own), I'm sure I will be happy when I get there.

Anyway, good luck to everyone...bring on the cold and yorkshire puddings!!!

Thanks again!

Louisa.x
Old Dec 8th 2004, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

paddythepilot will become famous soon enoughpaddythepilot will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by LKB

I will probably wait until I'm in the UK to sort it all out as my head is confused enough already!!

I have to admit it does hurt when I think of going from a nice house to living with my family and the prospect of not being able to buy a house again EVER! but I keep telling myself...it's all material.

I'm booking my ticket today and I should arrive on xmas eve. My family are excited and I feel mean that I'm not. Just find it very daunting (having to start again and on my own), I'm sure I will be happy when I get there.

Thanks again!

Louisa.x
For your information, I moved a whole load of boxes from Brizzy to the UK in 2001 with 'Four Seasons', who were pretty good.

I went to collect the cartons myself, filled em up and taped them and they collected these took em away.......painless!

I think it was AUD $400 odd for about 8 large boxes, your 2 will be even cheaper!

Good luck in the UK.

Cheers
Old Dec 8th 2004, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to all

Originally Posted by LKB
Good luck with it Louisa, get out there and party with your friends as much as possible and enjoy being back with your family. Let us know how you get on.
Old Dec 8th 2004, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

Bella will become famous soon enough

Hi,

I sent a couple of boxes back with a firm called Jetta Express after getting a recommendation on here. You can find out everything you need to know on their website, can't remember address but just put their name in a search engine.

They were great, efficient & reliable.

Also, good luck with your return to UK. I've been back (from Oz) for 3 months. Not a moment's regret.

Bella
Old Dec 10th 2004, 4:05 pm
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Ohh my heart goes out to you Louisa.My in-laws or rather outlaws were one reason why we returned to the UK in Sept. We have ended up with very little money once everything was settled in Oz. My hubby ( an aussie) loves being here and our daughter who is 3 is finally going to get to see what a proper "family" Christmas is like...none of this cold factor from the in-laws..yipeeeeeeeee I feel relieved to be back. I do miss having my own home, pool etc but you know in the scheme of things it's not the end of the world....I am happy, hubby is happy and our little babe is thriving with all the love and friendship surrounding her from my family and close friends.

Jetta Express is very good from what I have heard.

Good luck I am sure all will work out very well for you.

Back for a luvvvlyyyyy pommie Xmas...can't beat it !!Get some jumpers cos its collddddddd..or have I become a woosh..!!!!

xx

Last edited by Pants; Dec 10th 2004 at 4:31 pm.
Old Dec 12th 2004, 11:33 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by LKB

Thanks again!

Louisa.x
Good luck Louisa.

We came back on the bones of our arse, still there skint but extremely happy.

More to life that big house, cars, etc. I smile as when I pass all those faceless Barrett homes here looking at the strained occupants wondering how the hell they are going to keep up the replayments, I think well hey I have given life a go and will continue to do so.

Go where you will be happy chicken.

Best wishes
Merlot x

Old Dec 12th 2004, 11:34 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by Bella
Hi,

I sent a couple of boxes back with a firm called Jetta Express after getting a recommendation on here. You can find out everything you need to know on their website, can't remember address but just put their name in a search engine.

They were great, efficient & reliable.

Also, good luck with your return to UK. I've been back (from Oz) for 3 months. Not a moment's regret.

Bella
Jetta were great, just be prepared to shell out for customs money and do a bit of running around at the airport when you collect - took us over 4 hours to get sorted, a pain after 48 hours without kip!

Bella - great to hear you are back safe and sound!

M

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.