Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Miss the UK. Need advice on moving back.

Miss the UK. Need advice on moving back.

Old Mar 16th 2024, 6:09 pm
Just Joined

262626mmmmmm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Miss the UK. Need advice on moving back.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
OK, so as Helen said, you didn't answer all of my questions, and when it comes to determining if you have British citizenship the devil really is in the detail, so please bear with me, and irrespective of what you "think", please go through the questions one by one and provide answers (and indicated if you are uncertain about any of them). Then we can try to work out whether there are any factors that might mean you are British, or have claim to British citizenship.

In addition to the earlier questions, do you know if your father ever lived in the UK before you were born? .... Even if your father is "British by descent", if he lived in the UK for three years or more, you could still yet be British, so for example if he attended university in the UK that would likely meet the requirement and enable to pass on British citizenship to you.
My father's hasn't lived in the UK for 3 years before I was
​​​​​​ born. My father has British citizenship but was born in Israel, so im assuming he was naturalized? His parents applied him to a British citizenship when he was born.
Old Mar 16th 2024, 6:10 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 262626mmmmmm
Thats what im doing. I used to resent my parents but now im just trying to focus on my own life and avoid them, even tho we live together still. It was a hard thing to do and im still not completely over it but im trying.
Are you studying, or planning to do uni, or working? And if you are an Israeli citizen and required to do military service, you will have to factor that in too. If you are not entitled to British citizenship (answer all Pulaski's questions, specifically) then higher education will likely be important for future visas. Plan ahead.

Old Mar 16th 2024, 6:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Are you studying, or planning to do uni, or working? And if you are an Israeli citizen and required to do military service, you will have to factor that in too. If you are not entitled to British citizenship (answer all Pulaski's questions, specifically) then higher education will likely be important for future visas. Plan ahead.
Im not working and never have. I might go to uni later on in life but I dont know if thats enough.
Old Mar 16th 2024, 6:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

My father's hasn't lived in the UK for 3 years before I was​​​​​​ born. My father has British citizenship but was born in Israel, so im assuming he was naturalized? His parents applied him to a British citizenship when he was born.
Ugh, please STOP assuming things, I am trying to help, but you are making it very difficult! .... If your father was born in Israel, and has not lived in the UK for an extended period, it is highly unlikely that he is "naturalized". By virtue of being born outside if the UK to a British (other than by descent) parent he would have been born British (by descent), and all that was needed was to apply for a British passport for him. Registering his birth with the British consulate would have been an option, but wouldn't change the facts of your situation.

IMO He is likely, based on the limited information you have provided, to be "British by descent", meaning he was born to (at least) one parent who was "British other than by descent", and his British parent(s) was able to pass on British citizenship, making him "British by descent" because he was born outside the UK. If he is "British by descent" he cannot generally pass on citizenship to his children, which on the face of it is most likely your situation, but if you'd care to answer, one by one, the questions I have asked, then we can try to determine if any of the exceptions might apply to you.

Another question, which could open a door for you - were either of your British grandparents working for the British government (in the military, in the embassy, etc.) at the time your father was born in Isreal? If this was the case, it would mean that your father would be "British other than by descent" and could pass on British citizenship to you.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 16th 2024 at 6:43 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2024, 6:39 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Im not working and never have. I might go to uni later on in life but I dont know if thats enough.
Step one - answer ALL of Pulaski's questions carefully. If you don't know an answer, you will have to find out but don't guess or assume.
Old Mar 16th 2024, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

Ugh, please STOP assuming things, I am trying to help, but you are making it very difficult! .... If your father was born in Israel, and has not lived in the UK for an extended period, it is highly unlikely that he is "naturalized". By virtue of being born outside if the UK to a British (other than by descent) parent he would have been born British (by descent), and all that was needed was to apply for a British passport for him. Registering his birth with the British consulate would have been an option, but wouldn't change the facts of your situation.

IMO He is likely, based on the limited information you have provided, to be "British by descent", meaning he was born to (at least) one parent who was "British other than by descent", and his British parent(s) was able to pass on British citizenship, making him "British by descent" because he was born outside the UK. If he is "British by descent" he cannot generally pass on citizenship to his children, which on the face of it is most likely your situation, but if you'd care to answer, one by one, the questions I have asked, then we can try to determine if any of the exceptions might apply to you.

Another question, which could open a door for you - were either of your British grandparents working for the British government (in the military, in the embassy, etc.) at the time your father was born in Isreal? If this was the case, it would mean that your father would be "British other than by descent" and could pass on British citizenship to you.
No they weren't working for the British government.
Sorry, I just didnt understand some of the questions and I didn't have time to look into it. Ill try looking into it soon.
Old Mar 16th 2024, 9:52 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If your paternal grandparents were born in the UK and your father was born in Israel then he would’ve almost certainly been born a British citizen by descent. You mention that he didn’t live in the UK for three years before you were born, but even if he had been, you are now 18 so that ship has sailed.

I would start by asking your parents what status you held in order to live in the UK as a child. You also haven’t mentioned your mother beyond the fact she was born in Israel. Where were her parents born? Does she hold any passport other than Israeli?
Old Apr 6th 2024, 9:45 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't born in the UK but I spent a significant portion of my childhood there, around 5 years, my earliest childhood memories are from there.

I cant take a trip right now or anytime soon, for financial and personal reasons, but ill keep that in mind thank you.

Q.1 I just want to go back, if not to live there than to at least visit often for decent amounts of time but it seems impossible.
A.1 https://embassies.net/united-kingdom...srael-citizens
A1.1 a visa is NOT required for Israeli passport holders visiting United Kingdom for a short-term stay: 6 months.

Old Apr 7th 2024, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

daniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant future

For the OP

If your grandfather was born in the UK and you only have Israeli nationality, the key question is whether you were born in the UK to your British parent who is your grandfather's child. (Sorry to be pedantic.)

Then, as you said, since your father was born outside the UK, he/she should be a British citizen by descent when your grandfather registered your father's birth. I've read somewhere that children born to British citizens by descent outside the UK do not have claims to citizenship. [Section 2, Article 1a - British Nationality Act 1981]

Other conditions might apply if you look at Section 2, Article 1b or 1c of the same act.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ic-acquisition
Old Apr 7th 2024, 4:03 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daniel_t
For the OP

If your grandfather was born in the UK and you only have Israeli nationality, the key question is whether you were born in the UK ....
He wasn't born in the UK - that was the very first thing he said in his opening post above.
Old Apr 7th 2024, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

daniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant future

He wasn't born in the UK - that was the very first thing he said in his opening post above.
Thank you for clarifying this. If you had kept on reading my reply, you should have noticed that I knew he wasn't born in the UK at the time of writing.

For your convenience, here it is:
Then, as you said, since your father was born outside the UK, he/she should be a British citizen by descent when your grandfather registered your father's birth. I've read somewhere that children born to British citizens by descent outside the UK do not have claims to citizenship. [Section 2, Article 1a - British Nationality Act 1981]
Old Apr 7th 2024, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by daniel_t
Thank you for clarifying this. If you had kept on reading my reply, you should have noticed that I knew he wasn't born in the UK at the time of writing.

For your convenience, here it is:
Great, so you're just recapping the rest of the thread. There is nothing in the information the OP provided during his exchanges in this thread, that gave any indication that he has any right to British citisenship or to live in the UK, at least not without obtaining some sort of visa.
Old Apr 7th 2024, 4:17 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

^^^ my post#23 ..

OP wants to visit, I think this is covered, 6 mths, no visa requirements, OP also posted "no time soon with financial restrictions"

from all the really good posts & links to CUKC, answering what the OP posted, it looks like the OP doesn't qualify.

the OP hasn't been on the thread for a few weeks, seeing from all the replies by BE posters it could be Fait accompli

agree with @pulaski, we've thrashed this one out, little more to add.
Old Apr 7th 2024, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

Great, so you're just recapping the rest of the thread. There is nothing in the information the OP provided during his exchanges in this thread, that gave any indication that he has any right to British citisenship or to live in the UK, at least not without obtaining some sort of visa.
Yep you're absolutely right.

(N.B. Disclaimer: I'm a teacher by profession - not trained to give proper legal advice.)
Old Apr 7th 2024, 10:26 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

I asked several questions of the OP which have gone unanswered for three weeks. I think it’s safe to assume they will not be returning.