Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Miss the UK. Need advice on moving back.

Miss the UK. Need advice on moving back.

Old Mar 15th 2024, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

262626mmmmmm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Miss the UK. Need advice on moving back.

I wasn't born in the UK but I spent a significant portion of my childhood there, around 5 years, my earliest childhood memories are from there.

I have been missing it ever since, but now at 18 I miss it more than ever. I miss the places, the people, the culture, the nature, everything. It just feels like my home.

I've never had trouble fitting in, not for that reason atleast, but I just cant imagine myself spending the rest of my life here in Israel. It feels like a large piece of me was left behind.

I just want to go back, if not to live there than to atleast visit often for decent amounts of time but it seems impossible.

I don't know much about visas but from what I understand I dont qualify for one, even tho my grandparents on one side of the family are both born british and one of them currently lives there.

What should I do?

Last edited by 262626mmmmmm; Mar 15th 2024 at 7:30 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2024, 7:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Miss the UK. Need advice on moving back.

Are you British? .... it sounds like you don't know, so we can try determine that for you, and I have a few questions.

Where were you born (that might determine on what visas are open to you if it turns out that you are not British).

Are your parents British (either one of them)? If they are British, where were they born (inside or outside the UK)? ....

We're either of your parents naturalized as a British citizen? Meaning, were they born "not British", but became British following application either by their own application or as part of an application by their parents.

This should help to find out if you are, in fact, British. For example, if either of your parents are British and they were born in the UK, then you already are British (British by descent, meaning born outside the UK to a parent who is "British other than by descent"). If your parents are British, but they were born outside the UK, then you are probably not British (though there are exceptions, especially if either of your parents were employed by the British government at the time you were born, e.g. they were in the military or employed at an embassy).

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 15th 2024 at 8:00 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2024, 6:11 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Are you British? .... it sounds like you don't know, so we can try determine that for you, and I have a few questions.

Where were you born (that might determine on what visas are open to you if it turns out that you are not British).

Are your parents British (either one of them)? If they are British, where were they born (inside or outside the UK)? ....

We're either of your parents naturalized as a British citizen? Meaning, were they born "not British", but became British following application either by their own application or as part of an application by their parents.

This should help to find out if you are, in fact, British. For example, if either of your parents are British and they were born in the UK, then you already are British (British by descent, meaning born outside the UK to a parent who is "British other than by descent"). If your parents are British, but they were born outside the UK, then you are probably not British (though there are exceptions, especially if either of your parents were employed by the British government at the time you were born, e.g. they were in the military or employed at an embassy).
I dont think I am. I think my dad is but he wasn't born there. Is there really nothing I can do in my situation?
I was born in israel.
Old Mar 16th 2024, 6:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

You haven’t really answered Pulaski’s questions but it sounds like you’re probably not British.

You have access to the internet so I assume you’ve already researched visas and opportunities to study in the UK and are aware of the costs.

You’re only 18. My advice to you would be to choose a field that interests you with good prospects for the future and then work hard to become as well qualified as you possibly can.
Make yourself attractive enough to future employers and pretty much any country will open its doors to you.
Old Mar 16th 2024, 7:36 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Helen1964
You haven’t really answered Pulaski’s questions but it sounds like you’re probably not British.

You have access to the internet so I assume you’ve already researched visas and opportunities to study in the UK and are aware of the costs.

You’re only 18. My advice to you would be to choose a field that interests you with good prospects for the future and then work hard to become as well qualified as you possibly can.
Make yourself attractive enough to future employers and pretty much any country will open its doors to you.
What did I miss in the question?
What does being qualified mean, what does it require? I dont really have any life experience around jobs or anything like that.
Old Mar 16th 2024, 8:19 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 262626mmmmmm
I wasn't born in the UK but I spent a significant portion of my childhood there, around 5 years, my earliest childhood memories are from there.

I have been missing it ever since, but now at 18 I miss it more than ever. I miss the places, the people, the culture, the nature, everything. It just feels like my home.

I've never had trouble fitting in, not for that reason atleast, but I just cant imagine myself spending the rest of my life here in Israel. It feels like a large piece of me was left behind.

I just want to go back, if not to live there than to atleast visit often for decent amounts of time but it seems impossible.

I don't know much about visas but from what I understand I dont qualify for one, even tho my grandparents on one side of the family are both born british and one of them currently lives there.

What should I do?
You're 18 - the whole world is waiting for you.

Looks like you aren't British, but you have all the time in the world and nothing you do now will seal your fate forever and you don't have to make any final choices now.. If you aren't planning on university in Israel right now, you could save a bit of money with a job there and then maybe travel a little - a holiday in the UK for example. Take the time to work out why you want to be in the UK. Maybe you just feel like "getting away" as you become a young adult, which is totally understandable and normal. I was exactly the same way. The key thing here is that there is no rush and there are many things to explore without making a long-term commitment.

Good luck to you, enjoy life.
Old Mar 16th 2024, 8:46 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
You're 18 - the whole world is waiting for you.

Looks like you aren't British, but you have all the time in the world and nothing you do now will seal your fate forever and you don't have to make any final choices now.. If you aren't planning on university in Israel right now, you could save a bit of money with a job there and then maybe travel a little - a holiday in the UK for example. Take the time to work out why you want to be in the UK. Maybe you just feel like "getting away" as you become a young adult, which is totally understandable and normal. I was exactly the same way. The key thing here is that there is no rush and there are many things to explore without making a long-term commitment.

Good luck to you, enjoy life.
Thank you.
I dont think its about getting away, I just feel like its where I belong, I miss so many things about it, and its not just my childhood that I miss but all those things that were a part of my life and define me as a person but are now gone.
​​​​​​
Im not making any final decisions right now, I just know that I want a connection to the UK in my life. I don't necessarily want to live there but I dont want to take just one trip and forget about it.
Old Mar 16th 2024, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

As you probably already know, Israeli citizens don’t even need a tourist visa to visit the UK. And you can stay up to 180 days.
So there’s nothing to stop you going there, other than possibly lack of funds.
Old Mar 16th 2024, 11:16 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you.
I dont think its about getting away, I just feel like its where I belong, I miss so many things about it, and its not just my childhood that I miss but all those things that were a part of my life and define me as a person but are now gone.
​​​​​​
Im not making any final decisions right now, I just know that I want a connection to the UK in my life. I don't necessarily want to live there but I dont want to take just one trip and forget about it.

As Helen1964 says, if you can swing it, take the trip. It wouldn't be instead of, but in addition to any longer term plan you can make. In the meantime, scratch the itch and see what it feels like, and research what routes you might have longer term if citizenship isn't one of them. You aren't stuck, you just need a different plan. When were you last in the UK? Moving as a child, when you have no say in the matter, can be very dislocating irrespective of country.
Old Mar 16th 2024, 11:40 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
As Helen1964 says, if you can swing it, take the trip. It wouldn't be instead of, but in addition to any longer term plan you can make. In the meantime, scratch the itch and see what it feels like, and research what routes you might have longer term if citizenship isn't one of them. You aren't stuck, you just need a different plan. When were you last in the UK? Moving as a child, when you have no say in the matter, can be very dislocating irrespective of country.
I cant take a trip right now or anytime soon, for financial and personal reasons, but ill keep that in mind thank you.
I was in the UK approximately between the ages of 4 - 8.
I dont think I had trouble fitting in here in Israel at first, and in elementary school I was doing fine socially and all, but since highschool I have been dealing with pretty awful social anxiety and self esteem issues. I've never contributed it to moving countries tho, I blame it on bad parenting, which I think is what it is.
Old Mar 16th 2024, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think when you grow up you’ll realize the world isn’t really interested in whom
we blame for our problems.
Do yourself a huge favour and instead of dwelling on past grievances, focus on what you can do now to get to where you want to be.
Old Mar 16th 2024, 12:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Helen1964
I think when you grow up you’ll realize the world isn’t really interested in whom
we blame for our problems.
Do yourself a huge favour and instead of dwelling on past grievances, focus on what you can do now to get to where you want to be.
Thats what im doing. I used to resent my parents but now im just trying to focus on my own life and avoid them, even tho we live together still. It was a hard thing to do and im still not completely over it but im trying.
Old Mar 16th 2024, 4:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

What did I miss in the question?
What does being qualified mean, what does it require? I dont really have any life experience around jobs or anything like that.
You were asked where your father and mother were born?
You say you have grandparents who were 'born British' and one still lives in the UK. Where were your grandparents born and when?
Old Mar 16th 2024, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
You were asked where your father and mother were born?
You say you have grandparents who were 'born British' and one still lives in the UK. Where were your grandparents born and when?
​​​​​​My parents were both born in Israel. My grandparents were born in the UK. Idk when exactly, they're both around 70 years old I think.
Old Mar 16th 2024, 5:44 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I dont think I am. I think my dad is but he wasn't born there. Is there really nothing I can do in my situation?
I was born in israel.
OK, so as Helen said, you didn't answer all of my questions, and when it comes to determining if you have British citizenship the devil really is in the detail, so please bear with me, and irrespective of what you "think", please go through the questions one by one and provide answers (and indicated if you are uncertain about any of them). Then we can try to work out whether there are any factors that might mean you are British, or have claim to British citizenship.
Are your parents British (either one of them)? If they are British, where were they born (inside or outside the UK)?

Were either of your parents naturalized as a British citizen? Meaning, were they born "not British", but became British following application either by their own application or as part of an application by their parents. .... For example your grandparents could have immigrated to the UK taking your father (as a child) with them, and later the family naturalized as British citizens.
In addition to the earlier questions, do you know if your father ever lived in the UK before you were born? .... Even if your father is "British by descent", if he lived in the UK for three years or more, you could still yet be British, so for example if he attended university in the UK that would likely meet the requirement and enable him to pass on British citizenship to you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.