Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Misleading Info from Pet Travel Company?

Misleading Info from Pet Travel Company?

Old Jun 14th 2013, 3:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Misleading Info from Pet Travel Company?

Originally Posted by dunroving
Must say that my recollection (2006, admittedly) was that the tick and tapeworm treatment was done AFTER the USDA vet had certified the rest of the third country cert. I mean the T & T has to be done within 12-36 hrs of flying (or something like that), which would make it impossible to then send it to the USDA vet and get it back in time to fly ... surely?
This was the case for our cats in 2011. The state USDA signed off the certificate basically for the microchip and rabies vacc and the blood test results. I got our certificates signed/stamped about 2months before we flew (back in the days of the 6mo waiting period & a blood test requirement), and then went back to our normal vet for the T&T 24hours before flying..there was no add'l sign/stamp needed from the state USDA vet for the T&T. I can't imagine why that would change from 2011 to now.
Old Jun 14th 2013, 7:15 am
BE Enthusiast

larrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
This was the case for our cats in 2011. The state USDA signed off the certificate basically for the microchip and rabies vacc and the blood test results. I got our certificates signed/stamped about 2months before we flew (back in the days of the 6mo waiting period & a blood test requirement), and then went back to our normal vet for the T&T 24hours before flying..there was no add'l sign/stamp needed from the state USDA vet for the T&T. I can't imagine why that would change from 2011 to now.
Because the rules have changed since then. The way you went about the process in 2011 is really not relevant today.

https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad
Old Jun 15th 2013, 2:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by larrabee
Because the rules have changed since then. The way you went about the process in 2011 is really not relevant today.

https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad
I've seen nothing that says that you have to have the state USDA sign off on the tapeworm treatment. Reading the info here on the UK-Yankee website, which clearly outlines the process that many peeps moving to the UK use:

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=70546.0

No mention of taking your pets back to a state USDA vet for another stamp after T&T.
Old Jun 15th 2013, 3:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
I've seen nothing that says that you have to have the state USDA sign off on the tapeworm treatment. Reading the info here on the UK-Yankee website, which clearly outlines the process that many peeps moving to the UK use:

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=70546.0

No mention of taking your pets back to a state USDA vet for another stamp after T&T.
No tick treatment anymore....just for tapeworms At least they have extended the time frame from 3 to 5 days. There are many vets close to major airports who can be accessed for this and provide proof of service.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 1:40 am
BE Enthusiast

ElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really nice

very sad day for me yesterday, I had to have one of my lovely cats put to sleep He had quickly gone downhill in the last 5 weeks from being a healthy lively cat to a very sedate lethargic and incredibly thin cat. All of this was, according to the vet, due to advanced kidney disease and hyperthyroidism ( there'd been no signs of any illness at all until about a month ago). I understand that both conditions could have been treated but the vets advice was that even with medication there was a lot more damage done to the kidneys than they originally thought. He'd lost around 3lbs in the last two weeks and on Sunday morning I found that he was having great difficulty swallowing and could barely stand up
Even though he was gravely ill and likely would not have been given the okay to travel internationally, it was still the hardest decision I have had to make to put him to sleep He was only 8 years old.

All I can think of is the song "Bright Eyes" and it makes me cry and poor Bailey won't get to see England now.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 3:45 am
Forum Regular

Redgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to all

Oh no Elizabeth, that is really sad news. I am so sorry for your loss. I lost one of my dogs over Christmas and I am still struggling with it. My heart goes out to you. I am sure you made the right decision though I can't imagine how hard it was. Better that he is now at peace than suffering.

He will get to see England as he will be with you in spirit....

So sorry. My thoughts are with you.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ElizabethK
very sad day for me yesterday, I had to have one of my lovely cats put to sleep He had quickly gone downhill in the last 5 weeks from being a healthy lively cat to a very sedate lethargic and incredibly thin cat. All of this was, according to the vet, due to advanced kidney disease and hyperthyroidism ( there'd been no signs of any illness at all until about a month ago). I understand that both conditions could have been treated but the vets advice was that even with medication there was a lot more damage done to the kidneys than they originally thought. He'd lost around 3lbs in the last two weeks and on Sunday morning I found that he was having great difficulty swallowing and could barely stand up
Even though he was gravely ill and likely would not have been given the okay to travel internationally, it was still the hardest decision I have had to make to put him to sleep He was only 8 years old.

All I can think of is the song "Bright Eyes" and it makes me cry and poor Bailey won't get to see England now.
So sorry Elizabeth.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 4:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

larrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of light

This is heartbreaking Elizabeth, I'm so sorry.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

ElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really nice

Originally Posted by Redgal
Oh no Elizabeth, that is really sad news. I am so sorry for your loss. I lost one of my dogs over Christmas and I am still struggling with it. My heart goes out to you. I am sure you made the right decision though I can't imagine how hard it was. Better that he is now at peace than suffering.

He will get to see England as he will be with you in spirit....

So sorry. My thoughts are with you.
Thank You for your thoughts and I am sorry too for your loss last Christmas. It does take a long time to come to terms with, I know I'll be the same about Bailey
Old Jun 19th 2013, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

I am so sorry! It's so hard to make these decisions.

What a heartbreaking turn of events. I've cried for years after losing a pet and some you never get over.

Last edited by windsong; Jun 19th 2013 at 10:21 am.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

pondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to all

(((hug))) ElizabethK - how sad. Two of our cats (years ago) had something similar happen, one had intestinal cancer (we had no idea, neither did the vet till it was far too late to save her, and she went downhill in a matter of a couple of weeks), and one had kidney disease too, brought on by stones in his bladder? I've never had a pet have that before, and he was literally pouncing about not three days before he died (and the vet had nothing to do with the dying either, it happened naturally, so so sad. Never got over losing my Bean.)
It's so hard. Thinking of you... and Redgal!
Old Jun 19th 2013, 7:03 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Misleading Info from Pet Travel Company?

Just watching "Heathrow Airport Live" on BBC 2 right now.

They will be having a segment coming up of animals as air cargo on a transatlantic flight.

(Not sure if it will be on Youtube later on?)
Old Jun 19th 2013, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by windsong
I am so sorry! It's so hard to make these decisions.

What a heartbreaking turn of events. I've cried for years after losing a pet and some you never get over.
I know Windsong, it's so heartbreaking especially because he was so young and now all I keep thinking to myself is "I'm sure I could have done more to save him" now I have to go through getting the refund / returning his travel crate too which is sad .
Old Jun 19th 2013, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pondhopper2014
(((hug))) ElizabethK - how sad. Two of our cats (years ago) had something similar happen, one had intestinal cancer (we had no idea, neither did the vet till it was far too late to save her, and she went downhill in a matter of a couple of weeks), and one had kidney disease too, brought on by stones in his bladder? I've never had a pet have that before, and he was literally pouncing about not three days before he died (and the vet had nothing to do with the dying either, it happened naturally, so so sad. Never got over losing my Bean.)
It's so hard. Thinking of you... and Redgal!
Thanks Pondhopper

I couldn't believe how fast this all happened too, from an incredibly lively, fat cat to basically a skelton covered in fur in around 5 weeks. I did notice him losing a little weight back in April but thought nothing of it as my cats always lose weight in the summer due (I expect) to the heat here.
The worst thing is having to make the decision to put them to sleep. The realisation that you can't keep having bood tests or x-rays done to the poor animal to try and find a way to save him, and that it's causing him more distress by keeping him alive.
But I must keep on going for the 2 remaining cats and my dog getting ALL their papers ready (oh god there's so much) and then fly them out on 12th July.
Thanks for all your kind words
Old Jun 20th 2013, 3:55 am
Forum Regular

Redgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Just watching "Heathrow Airport Live" on BBC 2 right now.

They will be having a segment coming up of animals as air cargo on a transatlantic flight.

(Not sure if it will be on Youtube later on?)

Going to see if I can watch that one! Thank you.

Hope you are doing a bit better today Elizabeth. (Hug)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.