Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Midlife Crisis: I want to move to UK to live

Midlife Crisis: I want to move to UK to live

Old Feb 22nd 2005, 6:40 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute
Question Midlife Crisis: I want to move to UK to live

Hi and welcome to my very own first thread

I am mid 40's, divorced and currently living in Perth, Australia.
I am trying to decide whether to spend the extra year in study here that it will take to become a qualified social worker or exit next year with a bachelor of social sciences degree (community studies major). I already hold a diploma in non-clinical mental health work. Am not sure what the work situation is like there or how it varies from area to area.

I have not worked for some time due to being in fulltime study and a couple of other factors. I think perhaps I am just lacking a bit of confidence which under the circumstance is probably quite normal.

I will likely arrive in UK on a bit of a shoestring (not having much in the way of financial resources).

I would greatly appreciate any sugesstions that might be helpful about how to best make a go of a new life in the UK at my age.

I am not overly concerned where I would live as long as it has opportunities, good public transport, not too far from the country or coast (maybe for a daytrip) and friendly people, and the essentials of a decent local or three an good takeaway for when you get the urge !

Also am a bit confused as to my entitlement to jobsearch allowance/income support/housing benefit should I run low on funds before I get work.

I do hold UK citizenship (have my little red passport ) as well as OZ and NZ.

Thanks,

Chris
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

odaat will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Midlife Crisis: I want to move to UK to live

Originally Posted by kiwichild
Hi and welcome to my very own first thread

I am mid 40's, divorced and currently living in Perth, Australia.
I am trying to decide whether to spend the extra year in study here that it will take to become a qualified social worker or exit next year with a bachelor of social sciences degree (community studies major). I already hold a diploma in non-clinical mental health work. Am not sure what the work situation is like there or how it varies from area to area.

I have not worked for some time due to being in fulltime study and a couple of other factors. I think perhaps I am just lacking a bit of confidence which under the circumstance is probably quite normal.

I will likely arrive in UK on a bit of a shoestring (not having much in the way of financial resources).

I would greatly appreciate any sugesstions that might be helpful about how to best make a go of a new life in the UK at my age.

I am not overly concerned where I would live as long as it has opportunities, good public transport, not too far from the country or coast (maybe for a daytrip) and friendly people, and the essentials of a decent local or three an good takeaway for when you get the urge !

Also am a bit confused as to my entitlement to jobsearch allowance/income support/housing benefit should I run low on funds before I get work.

I do hold UK citizenship (have my little red passport ) as well as OZ and NZ.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris,
1. Finances - stay and save as much Oz dollars, the Oz $ is strong and will buy plenty of pounds.
2. Employment - Start sourcing work via the net before you arrive, try getting employment as a NHS "keyworker" , positions include accomodation.
3. NI + Healthcare - you are entitled to healthcare, you need to check via the net on NI contributions, should you need to claim benefits.

4. Confidence - Its all in the planning - and give yourself at least 1 yr to readjust back to UK - takes a longer explaining to others that you are not mad for returning.

odaat
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 10:38 am
Account Closed

yonk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by odaat
Chris,
1. Finances - stay and save as much Oz dollars, the Oz $ is strong and will buy plenty of pounds.
2. Employment - Start sourcing work via the net before you arrive, try getting employment as a NHS "keyworker" , positions include accomodation.
3. NI + Healthcare - you are entitled to healthcare, you need to check via the net on NI contributions, should you need to claim benefits.

4. Confidence - Its all in the planning - and give yourself at least 1 yr to readjust back to UK - takes a longer explaining to others that you are not mad for returning.

odaat
There are habitual residence tests for benefits.
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 11:44 am
sula

Hi Chris,
I am a British qualified social worker in the UK. There is currently a national shortage of social workers in the UK and lots of local authorities are currently recruiting in OZ.

The first thing to do would be to check out your qualifications with the General Social Care Council in the UK, similar to AASW: www.gscc.org.uk
Their link for oversea's qualified sw's is: www.gscc.org.uk/care_notinuk.html

If you were eligible to work as a social worker in the UK, I think you could choose your city! It is cheaper to live in Northern UK.

Here are some links for jobs: www.socialworkcareers.co.uk
www.communitycare.co.uk

If you do a search in Oz for jobs as a social worker you will find jobs for the UK. Careerone regularly advertise for social workers in UK: careerone.com.au

Good luck,
Sula

Old Mar 3rd 2005, 7:49 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your input. It's much appreciated.