Maternity allowance

Old Mar 17th 2019, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

Teganwarren is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Maternity allowance

Hi All,

Ive looked High and Low for the answer and I’m yet to find a conclusion for the following situation.

My partner and I will be moving back to the UK permanently either January or June next year. He are both British Citizens but I have not worked in the UK.
We will be moving back with a toddler and I will be far enough along in my pregnancy to not be able to get full time work.

My question is, will I be entitled to any assistance by the government in the form of Maternity Allowance?
I’ve been working on a Part-Time basis for 2 years now following the birth of my child which entitles me to maternity pay in Australia but given I wouldn’t have contributed in the UK I get the feeling there won’t be much help available when we get back and I’ll need to be searching for steady work the moment our second is born?

I woukd love some help on this!
Thank you.
Old Mar 17th 2019, 9:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Maternity allowance

You need to have been employed or self-employed for at least 26 weeks before being eligible. Nowhere that I can see does it specifically say that must have been in the U.K., but I’m guessing that is the case. You can read the application notes to double check though.

https://www.gov.uk/maternity-allowance/eligibility

Last edited by christmasoompa; Mar 17th 2019 at 9:54 pm.
Old Mar 19th 2019, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Maternity allowance

Hi, I think you will be able to claim child benefit straight away for your first child ( can taket up to 12 weeks for the money to go into your account) and when your 2nd child is born you can also claim for that child. There are other benefits when also pregnant so check with the correct government department . Good luck