Many moons ago.....

Old Aug 25th 2023, 6:24 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Many moons ago.....

Originally Posted by durham_lad
We are so very pleased that we moved back from the USA a few years ago, we love it here. Since then our son moved back from Texas year later and our daughter moved back from California last year along with her partner and they are also really pleased to have moved here. (We had all moved to the USA in 1987 when the children were very small so they have little to no memory of living here)

My brother and his family all still live in Australia (McKay and Perth) and they love it there but do visit family in England quite regularly so have plenty of contact with their roots.

In other words I don’t believe it’s all doom and gloom as reported in the media but it’s not a utopia either and it will very much depend on individual circumstances how one cares.
So nice that your family are together now. I yearn for the day. Sadly, I've yearned for too many years through circumstances, some beyond our control.
Old Aug 25th 2023, 6:31 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
People who are unhappy will always blame the whole country and all you can really do is look at your personal situation. Those who moved abroad for sunshine hours will often complain when they come back to Northern Europe, that's also reality.
I have been home a number of times, always December and January and have actually enjoyed it. I'm sure I'll be moaning about the lack of summer when I finally return for good, especially as I am looking forward to having a decent sized garden to work on, but the sunshine mean nothing when you have no family to enjoy it with.
Old Aug 25th 2023, 6:38 am
'In limboland'

Originally Posted by Nypool1e
I returned to the UK after 32 years being in NYC along with my US born wife. Yes, the country is in a bit of a mess right now but so is most of the world one way or another. I don’t regret coming home, it was time, it felt right & my wife loves it here. It seems from your post that you want to return to Britain, if you have the resources to finance your future & family support I would say go for it! Best of luck to you.
Thank you. Almost 30 years here in Oz, but each time I've been home to visit I've not wanted to leave so know that's what I need to do,
Old Aug 25th 2023, 6:41 am
'In limboland'

Originally Posted by Jolly Good
Just wanted to say hi G. Hope all is well with you xx
Also second the advice to talk to Pollyanna.
( Poster formally known as Sugarmooma)
Hello Sugar. I hope you are well. I gather you are still in the US? My niece lives in Halstead btw, that's where you hailed from wasn't it?
Old Aug 25th 2023, 6:50 am
'In limboland'

Originally Posted by Pulaski
This!

Just remember that you are not "going back", you're moving forwards, to another country, which despite some familiar things, has changed since you left. How you balance the familiarities with the changes is something only you can decide for yourself.
I agree. I have never liked to say 'going back', I've always said home. All my family live across various parts of the UK. Our son left Oz early 2019 and never came back. He left here single and is now a family man living in London, although he'd rather be near the coast somewhere, but his work is in London. We've just become first time grandparents, so the pull for me is even stronger now. I really should stay off the news channels on youtube, I know they're no good for my mental health.
Old Aug 25th 2023, 6:53 am
'In limboland'

Hi Pollyanna, weren't you from Wiltshire originally or am I mistaken? Pleased to hear you are happy being home.
Old Aug 25th 2023, 7:08 am
'In limboland'

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The UK has most of the same issues as Australia, and any other western country. Nowhere is paradise, but you know that, you've done this migration thing once already! Ignore what "everyone else" says, its your life not theirs. And if you are at that point when you want to come home, start doing it.
I stayed in Aus far too long, as I adored my job and knew I couldn't do it over here (not enough cyclones!) but finally I realised my sanity was at risk, I was hating the place more each week, and the anti-foreigner attitude of many in Queensland during Covid put the final nails in the coffin. Had to give it another year so I could get my super to fund the move, so I had time to plan it all. I knew I wanted to come back to my old home, Brighton, so eventually I did a rekkie trip, introduced myself to estate agents, spoke to my bank, got used to the place again, and after 4 weeks went back to Brisbane and resigned. There was a lot of planning as I had family illness issues that complicated the timeline and meant I literally had 3 weeks after finishing work in which to ship everything, get my super and transfer it, and get all my stuff shipped.

Yes I was knackered on arrival, but it was a happy-knackered if that makes sense and I haven't had a single moments doubt since I arrived back in March. I feel like I am alive again; I'm among people who speak my language, share my humour, and just understand me. Sounds daft but other returnees probably know what I mean. Its not perfect cos nowhere is, but I feel at home, something I didn't feel in 20 years over there.

Do a search of my posts in this Moving Back forum over the last year and you'll pick up a lot of info about shipping and stuff which people were passing on to me. Then set yourself a date - stop doing what I did and saying "one day I will go back home......" and actually set a date to work towards, trust me once you do that & you can start to build a timeline it feels like you are actually on your way, and that really will help you do do it
Oh I've felt this way for years Polly, but circumstances got in the way, then a huge case of fraud and our life savings virtually wiped out has kept us here waiting for the notoriously slow legal proceedings, which are still ongoing almost 7 years after the criminal act. I've been house hunting online for many years, but am now seriously getting in to that again as the goalposts look to be getting closer. Not knowing if we'd ever get any of our stolen money back has been a major worry and it looks as though we won't. If we do get the 26% we've been told to expect, it has cost us far more than that in legal fees. Anyway, we've had to be here for the court cases, so not been able to set a date, but hopefully by the end of October, it should all be over.

I will take a peek at your posts. Thank you.
Old Aug 25th 2023, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I feel like I am alive again; I'm among people who speak my language, share my humour, and just understand me. Sounds daft but other returnees probably know what I mean. Its not perfect cos nowhere is, but I feel at home, something I didn't feel in 20 years over there.
Nicely stated, exactly how we feel.
Old Aug 25th 2023, 7:38 am
'In limboland'

Originally Posted by durham_lad
Nicely stated, exactly how we feel.
...and exactly how I felt each time we visited family for Christmas and New Year. There was no excitement or anything like that, it just felt as though everything was normal again, just being, just belonging. Sad to think I've been in Oz almost 30 years and never felt like that, not even once..
Old Aug 25th 2023, 10:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
I have been home a number of times, always December and January and have actually enjoyed it. I'm sure I'll be moaning about the lack of summer when I finally return for good, especially as I am looking forward to having a decent sized garden to work on, but the sunshine mean nothing when you have no family to enjoy it with.
Moaning is fine:-). I'm in the Republic of Ireland myself, but it is annoying when people return and complain about weather all the time. Some are just so focused on weather that they forget the benefits of why they moved back in the first place (family, friends etc.). It is what it is, but it's certainly not as bad as some make it and you still have plenty of cheap sun destinations around the corner if you wish.
And even within the UK, there are plenty of places to explore. I do hope to visit the Isles of Scilly sometime soon, Solva is also on the list.
Old Aug 25th 2023, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all, I haven't posted on BE for a good few years and am finding this a bit difficult, but I would just like to hear from anyone who has returned to the UK from overseas lately.
Don't know what else to say really except I have been yearning to go home from Australia for many years and yet I'm still here. (Don't ask).
I keep being told I must be out of my mind to even think of returning now. I am told by everyone, except my family who want me back,
that England and all across the UK is doomed, gone to the dogs etc.etc. but I know I need to for my sanity.

Anyone got any views? Help!

From a very scared and old BE member.
Hi, We retuned to the UK back in 2010 , we like you were told (mainly by ex brits living in Aus) that we were bonkers ( and worse lol ) but we are so very glad we did, we had a very good life in Aus but ..well still cannot explain it …but it was never home and maybe that’s all….. you need to just think about your life and how you want to live it and where, everybody’s life is different and asking for advice is good but only you can finally make the decision. Our life here has been fab and it’s home. Good luck ps the hardest bit is trying to make up your mind
Old Aug 25th 2023, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

kateg60 is an unknown quantity at this point

I moved to England in April after 36 years in the US. I am happy, no regrets so far. There are problems, but to me US has big problems as well, and as others have noted, pretty everywhere has. I'm visiting the US at the moment and I'm 100% happy I moved.
Old Aug 25th 2023, 10:36 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Pollyanna, weren't you from Wiltshire originally or am I mistaken? Pleased to hear you are happy being home.
Did most of my school years just outside Swindon, yes, but then moved to Brighton to go to college and just ended up staying!

Oh I've felt this way for years Polly, but circumstances got in the way, then a huge case of fraud and our life savings virtually wiped out has kept us here waiting for the notoriously slow legal proceedings, which are still ongoing almost 7 years after the criminal act. I've been house hunting online for many years, but am now seriously getting in to that again as the goalposts look to be getting closer. Not knowing if we'd ever get any of our stolen money back has been a major worry and it looks as though we won't. If we do get the 26% we've been told to expect, it has cost us far more than that in legal fees. Anyway, we've had to be here for the court cases, so not been able to set a date, but hopefully by the end of October, it should all be over.

I will take a peek at your posts. Thank you.
That's awful news about your savings, hopefully you can soon move on and plan the future.
With me it was the fact I didn't have the money to make the move back and support myself until I got a job. Although I had a fairly well-paid job in the end, I did several years on a lower income, and a few years with a husband earning less than me the credit card bills grew and started swallowing every pay rise. Looking back if I hadn't allowed myself an annual trip home, I probably could've saved up and got home earlier, but the trips home were the only thing that kept me sane for years!! And I did love my job, up until the last 2 years, it really was my entire world.

...and exactly how I felt each time we visited family for Christmas and New Year. There was no excitement or anything like that, it just felt as though everything was normal again, just being, just belonging. Sad to think I've been in Oz almost 30 years and never felt like that, not even once..
That's exactly it, there's no fanfare, its just like putting on a familiar old jacket and sliding back into the same old habits
Old Aug 26th 2023, 2:18 am
'In limboland'

Yes, except when you vist you don't have the comforts of your own home to prepare for Xmas in etc. That always got to me as I was the one in the family who made the Xmas cakes, mince pies, rum truffles etc.etc.I envied everyone as they went back to their homes to bed and as we drove around seeing the Xmas tree lights in windows and gardens. I couldn't shop for Xmas 'cos as you know, you can't bring everything back with you, there's no point anyway as Xmas is a non starter for us here. Having a first grandchild in England now has got to me a lot. Waiting for this rope around our necks (legal proceedings) for so long has affected my health and our finances and now, along with the AU$ almost on a parity with the GBP and house prices back home, I sometimes think we aren't meant to be going home at all.

I thought of you when Shane Warne died. I hope you coped okay.
Old Aug 26th 2023, 2:21 am
'In limboland'

Originally Posted by Nypool1e
I returned to the UK after 32 years being in NYC along with my US born wife. Yes, the country is in a bit of a mess right now but so is most of the world one way or another. I don’t regret coming home, it was time, it felt right & my wife loves it here. It seems from your post that you want to return to Britain, if you have the resources to finance your future & family support I would say go for it! Best of luck to you.
Thank you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.