Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Manchester City Centre(or near) recommendations

Manchester City Centre(or near) recommendations

Old Feb 29th 2016, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

manchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Manchester City Centre(or near) recommendations

Hi all,

We are moving to Manchester in late June. I am from Preston originally, and have been in the US for the past 6 years (currently in Miami).

We prefer flats to houses, and living in Miami downtown has left us never wanting to drive again, so we want to be in, or near to Manchester centre.

Northern Quarter is very high on our list, as are Castlefield, Chorlton, and Didsbury.

Any recommendations for areas, places, people etc would be great.

Also, we are looking for a 2-bed flat, max budget of 1,000 pounds per month.

Thanks.
Old Mar 1st 2016, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Manchester City Centre(or near) recommendations

Fellow Prestonian here. Just wanted to say hello and wish you all the best with your move.
Old Mar 1st 2016, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

Reidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manchester2016
Hi all,

We are moving to Manchester in late June. I am from Preston originally, and have been in the US for the past 6 years (currently in Miami).

We prefer flats to houses, and living in Miami downtown has left us never wanting to drive again, so we want to be in, or near to Manchester centre.

Northern Quarter is very high on our list, as are Castlefield, Chorlton, and Didsbury.

Any recommendations for areas, places, people etc would be great.

Also, we are looking for a 2-bed flat, max budget of 1,000 pounds per month.

Thanks.
Hi,

We lived in Chorlton for 20 years prior to moving to Toronto almost 6 yrs ago. Its got bars, restaurants and its easy to get into the city centre. Since we moved the tram system has expanded to include 2 stops, so even easier.
If you need a recommendation for a letting agent I can recommend the agent we use.
Old Mar 1st 2016, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

manchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Reidies
Hi,

We lived in Chorlton for 20 years prior to moving to Toronto almost 6 yrs ago. Its got bars, restaurants and its easy to get into the city centre. Since we moved the tram system has expanded to include 2 stops, so even easier.
If you need a recommendation for a letting agent I can recommend the agent we use.
We are definitely considering Chorlton. I assume the tram is direct? Could we get to NQ and Spinningfields fairly easily?

Letting agents, bars and restaurant recommendations are always welcomed.

Thank you
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 3:50 am
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

I like Didsbury, vibrant centre with plenty ofbars & restaurants. Close to the city centre. Favourite restaurantwas The LimeTree.

Budget should be fine too
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manchester2016
Hi all, We are moving to Manchester in late June. I am from Preston originally, and have been in the US for the past 6 years (currently in Miami). We prefer flats to houses, and living in Miami downtown has left us never wanting to drive again, so we want to be in, or near to Manchester centre. Northern Quarter is very high on our list, as are Castlefield, Chorlton, and Didsbury. Any recommendations for areas, places, people etc would be great. Also, we are looking for a 2-bed flat, max budget of 1,000 pounds per month. Thanks.
Hi
We currently live near Manchester (in the Peak District) if we wanted to live nearer to Manchester and wanted to be on the Tram Line then we would live in Altrincham, its just far enough out of Manchester that you feel you are in a Greener more open area of the City yet with plenty of shops, bars etc and within very easy reach of the City centre with the Tram, also easy to get to the Trafford Centre, your also near to Hale which also has a very good high street with shops bars etc. For me Didsbury is nice but nowadays it feels way to crowded/busy, it feels "squashed in" and also very expensive for what you can buy/rent.....sorry to say as years ago when it was very close to where I worked it had a more authentic vibe and felt more like a "village".
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 7:26 am
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
Hi
We currently live near Manchester (in the Peak District) if we wanted to live nearer to Manchester and wanted to be on the Tram Line then we would live in Altrincham, its just far enough out of Manchester that you feel you are in a Greener more open area of the City yet with plenty of shops, bars etc and within very easy reach of the City centre with the Tram, also easy to get to the Trafford Centre, your also near to Hale which also has a very good high street with shops bars etc. For me Didsbury is nice but nowadays it feels way to crowded/busy, it feels "squashed in" and also very expensive for what you can buy/rent.....sorry to say as years ago when it was very close to where I worked it had a more authentic vibe and felt more like a "village".
I lived in Sale &Altrincham for 35+ years and wouldn't disagree with your comments. But the OP seems to be looking more centrally for somewhere to live and, as such Sale/Altrincham are less likely to meet their requirements
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 12:13 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

London
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

saz1983 is an unknown quantity at this point

We used to live in Heaton moor, which is just into Stockport. Had a good village feel with shops, bars and restaurants and nice houses. It's not far from didsbury and was 8 mins on the train to picadilly. I used to also live in altrincham and would say that it was going downhill when we moved out. Hale is much nicer but further out from the city centre. Chorlton is also good and better now it has improved tram.