Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Car Leasing, Moving back to UK from US

Car Leasing, Moving back to UK from US

Old Mar 3rd 2016, 7:27 pm
Soon to be Expat

gazzer82 has a brilliant futuregazzer82 has a brilliant futuregazzer82 has a brilliant futuregazzer82 has a brilliant futuregazzer82 has a brilliant futuregazzer82 has a brilliant futuregazzer82 has a brilliant future
Default Car Leasing, Moving back to UK from US

Hello All,

So i have a situation that i didn't think was that unusual, but i am really struggling with!

Myself and my wife relocated to Los Angeles 18 months ago from the UK and for various reasons are now moving back.

We have maintained a UK address at my wife parents house and Bank Accounts, Credit Cards e.t.c at that address whilst we were away, but we are struggling to secure any financing for leasing/purchasing cars for our return as we're not on the Electoral Role in the UK.

Has anyone on here gone through this process before, if so, any suggestions/recommendations for companies, manufacturers, brokers that you've used who might be able to assist?

Thanks

Gareth
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 7:39 pm
L/R

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Leasing, Moving back to UK from US

Put yourselves back on the electoral roll. IIRC you can vote for 15 years after leaving the UK, so reregistering should be no problem - you have to register where you last lived in the UK.
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 7:45 pm
Soon to be Expat

gazzer82 has a brilliant futuregazzer82 has a brilliant futuregazzer82 has a brilliant futuregazzer82 has a brilliant futuregazzer82 has a brilliant futuregazzer82 has a brilliant futuregazzer82 has a brilliant future

Hi Pulaski,

Sorry to be clear, we are on the electoral role registered as an overseas voter, but that doesn't seem to work in the same way as being registered at living at a physical address in the UK. Experian in the UK cannot see me on the UK register at my previous address. Plus we no longer live at that address so all our accounts are linked to my wife parents address . . . .

That said, we have just processed a request to be added to the electoral role for my wife parents house, but it takes several months to process and we don't have that time.

This is unfortunately a very last minute move, i only found out last week and we are moving at the beginning of April.

Cheers

Gareth
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

So time is of the essence. Pity because you could, while you are waiting for an auto lease as you mentioned, you could go the ride share route and have a car as you need it.
You can see if this would be for you. Zip Car share or Car2Go and many others.
Good Luck.
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 8:30 pm
Soon to be Expat

I have just come across Apex Rental, seems like a reasonable/viable option, anyone have any experience of them?
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 8:36 pm
L/R

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

You may find better luck in dealing with a person face-to-face, who can examine your ID and credentials, as opposed to dealing with a web interface where every field must be filled and every question answered satisfactorily or your application will be binned.
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 8:39 pm
Soon to be Expat

Hi Pulaski, i have been in contact with some brokers who have gone to there financial underwriters and all have rejected the application as they need to verify my address, which doesn't work.

I will try going into some dealerships though i think when i get to the UK.

If that doesn't work i think i will look at a short term lease/rental with Apex and then get something longer term once we show up on the Electoral Role.
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 8:43 pm
Soon to be Expat

I will say it've very frustrating that i was able to just walk into a VW and Ford dealership in the US with my visa and walk out with vehicle leases in the US, but in the UK there are no provisions for people in my situation.

Similar setup with renting somewhere to live.
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gazzer82 View Post
I will say it've very frustrating that i was able to just walk into a VW and Ford dealership in the US with my visa and walk out with vehicle leases in the US, but in the UK there are no provisions for people in my situation.

Similar setup with renting somewhere to live.
It is frustrating. I'm planning on renting a car for the first month until we get address established, and name on electoral role.

We just talked to an agent today for a house we want to rent and for an overseas person they are asking for 6 months up front, which fortunately we can afford and are prepared to do in order to secure the place. (our friends who live in the town did a viewing with the agent and have given us an excellent review of the place, plus it is well situated for us)
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 10:33 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Pick up something second hand for £1000 or less to run around in for a few months until you get something?
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 10:36 pm
Soon to be Expat

Hi BritInParis, thanks for the reply, but i'm likely going to be doing at least 1 hour a day on the M25, on a good day, so picking up some banger isn't really a realistic option.

I think a short term lease is probably the way we'll go, i'll let you guys know how we get on . . .

Thanks

Gareth
Old Mar 4th 2016, 5:16 pm
Soon to be Expat

Ok so if anyone else is going down this road, Apex Car Rental are also not able to help without a permanent UK address in place, with tenancy agreement e.t.c

This is so damn frustrating . . . . .
Old Mar 4th 2016, 5:47 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Hi BritInParis, thanks for the reply, but i'm likely going to be doing at least 1 hour a day on the M25, on a good day, so picking up some banger isn't really a realistic option.

I think a short term lease is probably the way we'll go, i'll let you guys know how we get on . . .

Thanks

Gareth
Ok so if anyone else is going down this road, Apex Car Rental are also not able to help without a permanent UK address in place, with tenancy agreement e.t.c

Not ideal I know but at least a banger will get you mobile for a few months. My brother has just picked up a perfectly serviceable Ford Focus for £700. Not going to win any concours prizes but if he gets one or two years out of it then it's cheap motoring.
Old Mar 4th 2016, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

That is so annoying.

I'll be renting a car for the first month we get there while shopping for a good 2nd hand car and a quick look now shows Europcar, for a month, compact size car for ~$650 for a US driver booked from here.

Other UK websites you can try are Rentalcars.com and Kayak.co.uk
Old Mar 5th 2016, 1:48 am
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
Put yourselves back on the electoral roll. IIRC you can vote for 15 years after leaving the UK, so reregistering should be no problem - you have to register where you last lived in the UK.
i was going to say the same thing

Contact your bank and put your parents address as your new address, this will put you on the electoral roll, you might have to wait a month or two but it'll happen.

Its exactly what I did when i went back to the UK and reactivated by Nationwide account.