Manchester

Old Aug 3rd 2009, 2:09 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Manchester

Originally Posted by dboy
What ever .... lets all hold hands and sing flowery songs about how God created manchester on the 8 th day

What's this tone that I have - it appears that you are the one with the mighty than thou tone.
lol Manchester was created on the 1st day...lol...I have been to lots of Cities around the world and although Manchester is not one of the best "me and mine" love it...."mighty than thou"...why thank you......alas I cannot sing a note in tune and I have never held hands with a stranger....so we will have to miss out one that lovely oppurtunity....just thought I would let you know what my 81 year old Father (woops..nearly 81...)did on Saturday evening....my brother took my Dad to Didsbury...had a few drinks in the area then went off for a late night curry in Rusholm....they both caught a taxi home arriving at 1.00am...not a sign of trouble..(in fact met a bunch of Irish guys over on a visit to watch Celtic play a friendly?..anyway the boys were having a great break in Manchester)..and the curry at the Sheia Kharn (? not sure on the spelling) was great...as in my Dad's words "great night all round"......as I have said we all have good and bad opions on certain things, I just don't "dance on anyone's parade...each to their own" is a fav. motto of mine. Now I have to go and be "mighty" and get on with a days work....lol
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 3:04 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brits1
lol Manchester was created on the 1st day...lol...I have been to lots of Cities around the world and although Manchester is not one of the best "me and mine" love it...."mighty than thou"...why thank you......alas I cannot sing a note in tune and I have never held hands with a stranger....so we will have to miss out one that lovely oppurtunity....just thought I would let you know what my 81 year old Father (woops..nearly 81...)did on Saturday evening....my brother took my Dad to Didsbury...had a few drinks in the area then went off for a late night curry in Rusholm....they both caught a taxi home arriving at 1.00am...not a sign of trouble..(in fact met a bunch of Irish guys over on a visit to watch Celtic play a friendly?..anyway the boys were having a great break in Manchester)..and the curry at the Sheia Kharn (? not sure on the spelling) was great...as in my Dad's words "great night all round"......as I have said we all have good and bad opions on certain things, I just don't "dance on anyone's parade...each to their own" is a fav. motto of mine. Now I have to go and be "mighty" and get on with a days work....lol
Ah yes the curry mile. I have to admit that you can get a good ruby there - a good one burns twice as my old fella would put it. I actually would say the night life is better there than here. Great bunch of lads and all that. My comments are more to do with the nature of the place. I've had a way better life over here but it's not for everyone.

There's a possibility I may end up there again one day, since my folks, brothers, sister, and all the other riff raff are there. I also have family in Lancaster/Morecambe. I can retire in 9 years so I have decisions to make, what with parents getting older etc.

Anyways, from one Manc to another - nice one!
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Ah yes the curry mile. I have to admit that you can get a good ruby there - a good one burns twice as my old fella would put it. I actually would say the night life is better there than here. Great bunch of lads and all that. My comments are more to do with the nature of the place. I've had a way better life over here but it's not for everyone.

There's a possibility I may end up there again one day, since my folks, brothers, sister, and all the other riff raff are there. I also have family in Lancaster/Morecambe. I can retire in 9 years so I have decisions to make, what with parents getting older etc.

Anyways, from one Manc to another - nice one!
Cheers.....all the best
Old Oct 7th 2009, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Canuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond repute

Are there any other areas of Manchester that are not dumps? lol
Old Oct 7th 2009, 9:24 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

What are Eccles and Monton like now? we used to visit there a lot as kids as my Nana was from there so we'd go see the family and see a show. My uncle lived next door to one of Pams People or whatever they were called they danced on Top of the Pops each week, that was his claim to fame. He had a paper shop in Eccles and it's still there, stationary now, being run by my Dads cousin.
As an adult I only had experience with Gorton and Disbury, (when my sister was living there) neither seems too fancy but I never felt unsafe when we'd walk to the chinese or the chippy.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Canuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond repute

Longsight, Whalley Range, Tameside, Withington, Wythenshawe, Wilmslow, Urmston, Blackley and Cheetham Hill good areas?
Old Oct 14th 2009, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

GagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Canuck74
Longsight, Whalley Range, Tameside, Withington, Wythenshawe, Wilmslow, Urmston, Blackley and Cheetham Hill good areas?
There are some good areas of Tameside on the Pennines, above the main towns & Wilmslow is definitely for the more wealthy. The rest, God no! Someone has suggested Glossop. That's again has some beautiful areas (although it does have some seamier parts) & it is a superb train ride over the Dinting viaduct to Manchester Piccadilly (central M/cr). Saddleworth is beautiful but expensive, although when I lived there it was before it became fashionable to live in a stone/weaver's cottage. Driving anywhere towards M/cr or Yorkshire from these places is not recommended but is an easy commute by train.

My husband has just said almost anywhere on the Derbyshire, Yorkshire, Cheshire side of M/cr should suit. Personally, I never remembered to lock my front door. It would be open for weeks.

Good luck with your search.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Is Stalybridge a good area?
Old Oct 15th 2009, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

GagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to all

An old mill town but again there is a posh side to the place, Mottram Road, Mottram Old Road & surrounding areas but the town itself became something of a Mecca for the young drinking set, after a local radio station broadcast from there. He said it was the best night out ever & the rest followed.

The areas I've mentioned are very quiet & peaceful (except for New Year's Eve, Bonfire night etc). Lots of places to live on the surrounding moors but that would depend on your budget.

Good rail links to the centre of Manchester. If you want to know anything else, please feel free to PM me.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

buggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to all

Hi there
I am sending you a PM if thats okay.

Buggalugs
Old Oct 15th 2009, 9:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by buggalugs
Hi there
I am sending you a PM if thats okay.

Buggalugs
Hi Buggalugs,

No problem. Thanks for the help.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 12:41 am

Avoid Cheetham Hill at all costs...........
Old Oct 16th 2009, 12:43 am

Known as Stalyvegas by the locals. Lots of bars in the centre which is good or bad. Used to be a 25 and up rule but it has fallen off and has become much what Ashton used to be - drunken kids picking fights.

Richard Gerre filmed Yanks there years ago. I used to go down after school and watch them filming.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 1:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Known as Stalyvegas by the locals. Lots of bars in the centre which is good or bad. Used to be a 25 and up rule but it has fallen off and has become much what Ashton used to be - drunken kids picking fights.

Richard Gerre filmed Yanks there years ago. I used to go down after school and watch them filming.
LOL. Which areas of Manchester do you consider good areas?
Old Oct 16th 2009, 7:26 pm

LOL. Which areas of Manchester do you consider good areas?
None. No doubt someone will be along to sort me out in a minute .

I like Upper Mill personally and agree that the area around the top end of Mottram Road is good. I would look for smaller market town type places. Anywhere in Manchester proper is very samey - same 1950's housing estates, run down terraces and town centers with Weatherspoons, Comet, Top Shop etc, and oh yes, drunken riff raff and chavs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.