Manchester

Old Jul 22nd 2009, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Canuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Manchester

Looking for a studio or one bedroom flat that is close to the tram or a train station. Which areas of Manchester would you recommend?

Thanks.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

Gordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really nice
Default Re: Manchester

Originally Posted by Canuck74
Looking for a studio or one bedroom flat that is close to the tram or a train station. Which areas of Manchester would you recommend?

Thanks.
Manchester is currently full of empty one bed and studio apartments for rent. I would stick to city centre personally. Northern Quarter and Picadilly Basin good, Castlefield & Danesgate also good. Leafy suburbs in south Manchester (just south of city centre) are Didsbury / fallowfield - but pricey.

It's a renters market in Manchester at the moment. Move near Canal Street etc for a good party time, which is very near Picadilly railway station, Arndale Centre, city centre shops etc. Near Oxford Road, lots of trams and aqauatics centre and universities too.

Would personally think you are sticking to city centre in Manchester!

Upside: FABULOOOOSHHHH people - best in the UK I reckon!
downside - bit rainy & grey. Mooooody Manchester men at times! Never quite get that!
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Gordo Marshall
Manchester is currently full of empty one bed and studio apartments for rent. I would stick to city centre personally. Northern Quarter and Picadilly Basin good, Castlefield & Danesgate also good. Leafy suburbs in south Manchester (just south of city centre) are Didsbury / fallowfield - but pricey.

It's a renters market in Manchester at the moment. Move near Canal Street etc for a good party time, which is very near Picadilly railway station, Arndale Centre, city centre shops etc. Near Oxford Road, lots of trams and aqauatics centre and universities too.

downside - bit rainy & grey. Mooooody Manchester men at times! Never quite get that!
Also, the Manchester area has low unemployment and is surrounded by a good motorway network which makes commuting easy if necessary.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 12:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Canuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordo Marshall

Originally Posted by johnh009
Also, the Manchester area has low unemployment and is surrounded by a good motorway network which makes commuting easy if necessary.
Hi guys. Thanks for the info. I was living in Dublin. The cost of living in Manchester is cheap compared to Dublin. I was paying 745 Euro a month for a studio flat in a old Georgian building. It was clean but, the up keep of the building was not good. Looking for a quiet area of Manchester no students hahaha.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

jillandsi will become famous soon enough

Hi,

I'm sure if you look on the metrolink website it will show you the map of the tram stations. But if you want to be further away from the city centre then the three main areas on the tram route are Eccles, Altringham and up Bury way.

Eccles:
Salford Quays is quite nice, had a lot of regeneration money and has some bars/restaurants, The Lowry, Imperial War Museum, Lowry outlet mall. It's not particularly studenty, but not too far away it will be and also a bit rough.
Eccles itself is alright, has plenty of shops and lots of flats. The ones along Eccles New or Old Road (the one the tram runs on) generally have young proffesionals in them. The ones in the town centre usually have people on benefits in them.

Altringham:
Don't know much about the stops on route as I never went there on the tram, but Altringham is generally considered nice, although I don't know about flats in the area.

Bury:
I would generally look from Heaton Park - Bury rather than the stops closer to the city as the areas are generally quite rough. Most of the stops have flats nearby especially Heaton Park, Prestwich (has shops), Besses (has local shops and Tesco within walking distance) and Whitefield (Morrisons). None of them are student areas.

Hope I haven't bored you

Jillian
Old Jul 24th 2009, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jillandsi
Hi,

I'm sure if you look on the metrolink website it will show you the map of the tram stations. But if you want to be further away from the city centre then the three main areas on the tram route are Eccles, Altringham and up Bury way.

Eccles:
Salford Quays is quite nice, had a lot of regeneration money and has some bars/restaurants, The Lowry, Imperial War Museum, Lowry outlet mall. It's not particularly studenty, but not too far away it will be and also a bit rough.
Eccles itself is alright, has plenty of shops and lots of flats. The ones along Eccles New or Old Road (the one the tram runs on) generally have young proffesionals in them. The ones in the town centre usually have people on benefits in them.

Altringham:
Don't know much about the stops on route as I never went there on the tram, but Altringham is generally considered nice, although I don't know about flats in the area.

Bury:
I would generally look from Heaton Park - Bury rather than the stops closer to the city as the areas are generally quite rough. Most of the stops have flats nearby especially Heaton Park, Prestwich (has shops), Besses (has local shops and Tesco within walking distance) and Whitefield (Morrisons). None of them are student areas.

Hope I haven't bored you

Jillian
You haven't bored me. lol. I was taking a look at some of the areas you mentioned on the rightmove website. Salford Quays looks good.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Is Sale a good area?
Old Jul 27th 2009, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

WelshDoll will become famous soon enoughWelshDoll will become famous soon enough

Hi, I have an apartment in the village of Hale (not far from Altrincham) so I know the tram stops fairly well into town. The ones to avoid are Trafford Bar, Stretford & Old Trafford. I would look maybe at Timperley rather than Sale as that can be a bit 'so so' even tho' both there and Brooklands (the next tram stop) have excellent transport links. Altrincham I am afraid is a dump and the last time I went home in February even the McDonalds had packed up, but there is talk of a regeneration plan. There is however a large Tesco and a good Sainsburys and there is plenty of rental choice as lots of apartments have been built over the last few years that are standing empty. A look at the Rightmove website will confirm this.
Salford Quays could be a good option as next year some of the BBC will be transferring up there so prices may go up a bit, and as another poster mentioned, Castlefields is a good location on or near the canal and walking distance to the city.The 'Up mystreet' website might give you some demographic information and crime rates as well as pictures.
I have to agree with the other poster, Manchester is a great city (except for the team that I shall not mention who reside at Old Trafford) and I am proud to call it my adopted home.
Feeling a bit homesick now!!
Old Jul 29th 2009, 5:39 am
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

I'm from Sale. It is a good area. Expensive though. Let me know if you have any questions.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Could anyone recommend a good site to look for flat lettings? I have been using rightmove.
Old Aug 1st 2009, 4:10 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to agree with the other poster, Manchester is a great city .....

Have I missed something since I left? Manchester and great are not two words I would put togetheR (other than the people i suppose). There are way more bad areas than good. Sorry to put a downer on things, but there are way better areas in the UK. Period (I'm from Dukinfield originally but lived in Ardwick and Cheetem Hill).
Old Aug 1st 2009, 5:10 pm

nutgrove is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Canuck74
Could anyone recommend a good site to look for flat lettings? I have been using rightmove.
try this as a start & filter

http://www.fish4.co.uk/homes/letting...uency_monthly/

good luck
Old Aug 1st 2009, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

GagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dboy
I have to agree with the other poster, Manchester is a great city .....

Have I missed something since I left? Manchester and great are not two words I would put togetheR (other than the people i suppose). There are way more bad areas than good. Sorry to put a downer on things, but there are way better areas in the UK. Period (I'm from Dukinfield originally but lived in Ardwick and Cheetem Hill).
I am sick of you "calling" Manchester. Will you please shut the hell up. If I was from Ducky then fine. But I'm not. There are wonderful parts & ugly but M/cr is a beautiful city that I was proud to work in for 38 years. Have you ever walked down from St Peters Square to The Law Courts. Have you ever walked in Back King Steet. Have you ever seen the Library. Been to the reguvernated Castlefield. I doubt it. I really wish that you & Rea would just bugger off.
Old Aug 1st 2009, 7:19 pm

nutgrove is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GagainPEI
I am sick of you "calling" Manchester. Will you please shut the hell up. If I was from Ducky then fine. But I'm not. There are wonderful parts & ugly but M/cr is a beautiful city that I was proud to work in for 38 years. Have you ever walked down from St Peters Square to The Law Courts. Have you ever walked in Back King Steet. Have you ever seen the Library. Been to the reguvernated Castlefield. I doubt it. I really wish that you & Rea would just bugger off.
dboy is way off track by some 20-miles

Liverpool is way better in every way, well maybe on par with Castlefield
Old Aug 1st 2009, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

GagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to all

Originally Posted by nutgrove
dboy is way off track by some 20-miles

Liverpool is way better in every way, well maybe on par with Castlefield
I agree & thankyou but Castlefield is rather beautiful. And I love Liverpool.l

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.