Logistics of moving…

Old Jan 21st 2024, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

rejc86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Logistics of moving…

Hi all we’re currently planning a move back to the Uk from NZ, feels all a bit last minute but we only have a short window to move back (pregnant and I don’t want to fly after second trimester ideally as it’s so far!). Anyway just wondering if anyone has any advice on the logistics of selling a house, sending stuff back, etc when flying to another country. It’s our first house so we’ve never done it before and it’s all much more daunting moving when you now have a dog, toddler, and a house to sell rather than just leaving the Uk with a bag young and single! Any advice, hints or tips would be much appreciated thanks!
Old Jan 23rd 2024, 1:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Logistics of moving…

How likely is your house to sell quickly? Do you need to sell it before you leave, either from your own finances or a tax point of view?
To move your personal items back, you’ll need to complete a Transfer of Residence form, which means you don’t pay tax on those items.
You’ll need to sort out a company to move your ‘stuff’ and I suggest you get rid of as much as possible to reduce moving costs.
Old Jan 23rd 2024, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Just on the house selling, you won’t need to have completed the sale of your house when you move back from a UK tax perspective. It is your primary home so will not be subject to capital gains by HMRC. This was our daughter’s situation when she moved back from California 15 months ago, her buyers pulled out last minute so the house was back on the market when time came to move.
Old Jan 24th 2024, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Twitcher1958
How likely is your house to sell quickly? Do you need to sell it before you leave, either from your own finances or a tax point of view?
To move your personal items back, you’ll need to complete a Transfer of Residence form, which means you don’t pay tax on those items.
You’ll need to sort out a company to move your ‘stuff’ and I suggest you get rid of as much as possible to reduce moving costs.
House is likely to sell very quickly - we live in a very tourist area where houses are sought after, estate agent reckons 3 weeks of marketing then auction and should sell as they have buyers already looking for properties where we live. Yes that’s what we thought, get rid of all the big stuff and just move personal belongings
Old Jan 24th 2024, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by durham_lad
Just on the house selling, you won’t need to have completed the sale of your house when you move back from a UK tax perspective. It is your primary home so will not be subject to capital gains by HMRC. This was our daughter’s situation when she moved back from California 15 months ago, her buyers pulled out last minute so the house was back on the market when time came to move.
oh that’s so good to know thank you! We know our estate agent quite well so I know he’d handle that well for us if it came to it but good to know there isn’t a tax issue if that happens
Old Jan 25th 2024, 10:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

C.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rejc86
... it’s all much more daunting moving when you now have a dog, toddler, and a house to sell...
Is the toddler and the dog included in the house sale or are you selling them separately? ;-) And if included , would that increase or decrease the price of the house? ;-)

Sorry... couldn't resist...

I think that there's possibly a time period to think about with regards to UK Capital Gains tax ... where if you kept the house past a certain date and had one in the UK that the tax would start to apply. But I think it's a fairly long time. I read about this and decided not to worry (for my situation). Maybe, worth researching a bit further for you?

​​​​​​Do you have somewhere to move to? Like a house of a family member? Generally speaking (with some regional variation), rental properties are:
1. Extremely expensive
And
2. Difficult to find (especially with pets)

​​

​​​