Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Local uk International number

Local uk International number

Old Mar 29th 2016, 12:38 am
Forum Regular

msnapz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Local uk International number

Hey guys. In the process of trying to get a job in the UK and bought a skype number that's appears to be a local Leicester number. What I didn't realize is an employer would have to dial +44116.... Instead of just 0116... Was wondering why I hadn't got any calls! Anyone have any other companies they recommend for a "local" number?

Thanks in advance and I am using Skype for that number right now!
Old Mar 29th 2016, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Vadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Local uk International number

Vonage - not sure what the cost is right now. When we initially came back to the UK, we had a US number that was 'local' for folks most likely to call. No one knew that it was not in the US.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know about the technical reason why someone dialling a local UK number would need to also dial the country code, but I think this is a problem common to all VoIP services. When a phone call is made using a traditional phone line, it travels up the wire to the local switching office where it is routed onto the public switched telephone network (PSTN). When a Voice Over IP (VoIP) call is made, it does not travel to a local switching office, but rather, across the internet to your phone provider, where it passes through a gateway onto the PSTN. Because the internet is used, the full number (including the country code) is required.

I have used https://www.flextel.com/ in the past. This is a UK company, and therefore likely to be more oriented towards UK use. They offer a local number for Leicester. You may wish to take a look at their website, and if interested, check with them about the need to dial the country code.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the question, but that sounds normal for Skype to me?

The advantage of a "local" number on Skype is that the caller only pays "local" charges; or have I got this all wrong?
Old Mar 29th 2016, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the feedback! Yea it is great having a local number but with skype at least they literally have to dial +44116.... So if you're trying to use it for business purposes you might end up not receiving any calls as no one dials the country code to call someone in the same country. Gonna check out this other company! Thanks so much!
Old Mar 30th 2016, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by msnapz
Hey guys. In the process of trying to get a job in the UK and bought a skype number that's appears to be a local Leicester number. What I didn't realize is an employer would have to dial +44116.... Instead of just 0116... Was wondering why I hadn't got any calls! Anyone have any other companies they recommend for a "local" number?

Thanks in advance and I am using Skype for that number right now!
I have a local UK Skype number and folks don't need to use +44, just the usual 0191... That they would use with any other local UK number.

It did stop working recently after many months of successful operation and I think it was a Skype upgrade because when I contacted them they directed me to change the security settings on my Skype account to allow incoming calls from "anyone". After I changed the setting I had a friend call me from the UK and it was back to working as normal.
Old Mar 30th 2016, 2:43 am
Forum Regular

Durham lad thanks for the reply. Yes that's exactly what they told me but I couldn't find where to change that on the website under my account. I did download skype on my Mac and looked at the settings there but it was already set to anyone. Am I looking in the right place? Thanks again!
Old Mar 30th 2016, 3:15 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Durham lad thanks for the reply. Yes that's exactly what they told me but I couldn't find where to change that on the website under my account. I did download skype on my Mac and looked at the settings there but it was already set to anyone. Am I looking in the right place? Thanks again!
I have Skype downloaded on my Mac and the screen is under Preferences, Privacy.

See the attached screen shot with my new settings that seems to work just fine for me.
Attached Thumbnails Local uk International number-screen-shot-2016-03-29-10.12.07-pm.png  
Old Mar 30th 2016, 3:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by durham_lad
I have Skype downloaded on my Mac and the screen is under Preferences, Privacy.

See the attached screen shot with my new settings that seems to work just fine for me.
Thanks appreciate it! How long you been in America for yourself?
Old Mar 30th 2016, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks appreciate it! How long you been in America for yourself?
We moved to the US in 1987 to the Houston area on a 2 year assignment with my UK company, then another 2 year assignment to Louisiana in 1989 and ending up staying for good (Green card in '93, citizenship in '98).

We moved back to the Houston area again in 2004 with another company move and then retired here in January 2010. This last 6 years we have spent about 6 months each year traveling (escape the heat and humidity) and are now in the process of moving back to UK, planning on spending winters back here.
Old Mar 31st 2016, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Obihai hardware, the Obi202 is the best model, at around $70. Plus Callcentric service, around $6/month for a UK number plus 1cent/minute for outgoing UK calls. Works great, callers don't know where in the world you are, can be a local call for them if your chosen UK number is for their locality.
Vonage works well too, but costs more.
Old Mar 31st 2016, 12:47 am
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

I use Ring Britain. A local number with unlimited calls from the UK for $9.99 per month. You can have your calls directed to a cell phone or a land line.
Old Apr 2nd 2016, 5:38 am
HLJ
Forum Regular

HLJ is an unknown quantity at this point

I also have a UK Skype number and people just dial 0151 without +44.
Old Apr 4th 2016, 1:42 am
Just Joined

Rover Allover is an unknown quantity at this point

I pay 99c a month per number with Didlogic and then up to 2c per minute for calling mobiles.

You can divert the numbers to mobiles/landlines/voip phones or skype and the caller has no idea they are connecting with you half way around the world. I have Australian mobiles diverting to my Australian Voip number that then rings wherever I am in the world and the same setup for the Uk.

Local callers only need dial the local code, no +44 or +61 etc and the quality is excellent

The downside is that they offer no technical support, so it's a bit of a challenge to set it up but there are help files on the website