Reload this Page >

Moving Back to UK After 4 years abroad - Mortgage

Moving Back to UK After 4 years abroad - Mortgage

Old Apr 5th 2016, 3:34 am
Just Joined

bmouthboyo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving Back to UK After 4 years abroad - Mortgage

Hi everyone,

My wife and I are looking to move back to the UK mid 2017 after working for 4 years in Asia and looking at the timeframe to be able to apply for a mortgage once we are back.

My wife has her old employment to walk back into, I will have to find a position but they tend to come up often in the area we are from.

We are going to move into the inlaws to start with to settle and keep spending down and continue saving. We will have around 70K saved at that time, no kids, no debts, first time buyers and will be both 34.

Whilst abroad we both kept our long term UK bank accounts open (Natwest and Nationwide) and used them regularly. We also have 3 Santander 123 accounts for the savings each month.

Will we face any problems getting a mortgage with our situation? We are looking at properties for between 210k - 250k.

How long will we have to be living back in the UK before we will be considered or a mortgage?

I assume we will both need to be employed for 6 months?

Is there anything we can do over the next year to help our credit history?

Any general advice?

Thanks in advanced
Old Apr 5th 2016, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving Back to UK After 4 years abroad - Mortgage

I will put it like this.

We have been out of the UK a lot longer and had kept open nothing - no bank accounts or anything.

I did have a job to come to.

I went into Halifax to open an account and on opening they asked if we would like a mortgage
Old Apr 5th 2016, 6:48 am
Just Joined

Sounds ideal. However would they not want to see you in your new UK job for at least 6 months first?

Would my income from abroad be accepted as the 6 months proof of earnings so long as I was in a job when back in the UK and applying?

Cheers
Old Apr 5th 2016, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bmouthboyo
Hi everyone,

My wife and I are looking to move back to the UK mid 2017 after working for 4 years in Asia and looking at the timeframe to be able to apply for a mortgage once we are back.

My wife has her old employment to walk back into, I will have to find a position but they tend to come up often in the area we are from.

We are going to move into the inlaws to start with to settle and keep spending down and continue saving. We will have around 70K saved at that time, no kids, no debts, first time buyers and will be both 34.

Whilst abroad we both kept our long term UK bank accounts open (Natwest and Nationwide) and used them regularly. We also have 3 Santander 123 accounts for the savings each month.

Will we face any problems getting a mortgage with our situation? We are looking at properties for between 210k - 250k.

How long will we have to be living back in the UK before we will be considered or a mortgage?

I assume we will both need to be employed for 6 months?

Is there anything we can do over the next year to help our credit history?

Any general advice?

Thanks in advanced

Hi,

We were overseas for nearly 14 years, we opened a HSBC account while overseas 18months before we returned home but while overseas we were offered an expat mortgage by Halifax (without having an account) and HSBC we did not buy while we were overseas seas (we nearly did though) upon our arrival we had a look at properties and after about 3 months we applied for a mortgage with HSBC and was offered one within a few days, we had no debts or loans (we even had pre paid mobile phones) and just had a debit/credit card but no credit cards all we had to supply were my husbands pay slips, a bank account and also ID. Good luck and hope your move goes well.
Old Apr 5th 2016, 6:55 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by brits1
Hi,

We were overseas for nearly 14 years, we opened a HSBC account while overseas 18months before we returned home but while overseas we were offered an expat mortgage by Halifax (without having an account) and HSBC we did not buy while we were overseas seas (we nearly did though) upon our arrival we had a look at properties and after about 3 months we applied for a mortgage with HSBC and was offered one within a few days, we had no debts or loans (we even had pre paid mobile phones) and just had a debit/credit card but no credit cards all we had to supply were my husbands pay slips, a bank account and also ID. Good luck and hope your move goes well.
Can I ask did your husband change jobs upon returning to the UK or was it for the same company?

Thanks
Old Apr 5th 2016, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds ideal. However would they not want to see you in your new UK job for at least 6 months first?

Would my income from abroad be accepted as the 6 months proof of earnings so long as I was in a job when back in the UK and applying?

Cheers
We didn't follow it up, so hard to say, but based on the conversation, they wanted 20% deposit and my employment contract with a letter to state I wasn't in probation period.
Old Apr 5th 2016, 12:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
No why do you think they want to see six months proof of earning?

When we returned to the UK in 2008 we got a mortgage before we even returned based on confirmation of a job. Obviously things have changed since then, but this year we had no trouble securing a mortgage for an investment property based upon three months of payslips and employment still being under probationary period (we moved back again last year but recent change of job).

If you have decent deposit and thee months proof of earnings I am sure you will have no issue.