Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Living in the US, Working in the UK

Living in the US, Working in the UK

Old Nov 24th 2004, 5:47 pm
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Living in the US, Working in the UK

Not sure if this is the correct forum to post in but here goes...

I currently live in Florida, I like it, have a great house etc and the outlaws are near enough to us - but not too near if you catch my drift . However, the downside is that the work environment I'm in is horrible and the prospects for what I do (It industry) aren't that great.

My missus asked what the market was like in the UK so I looked it up. There is a tremendous difference in salary (almost 50% higher in Birmingham compared to where I'm at now) and there are plenty of jobs. So, her next question was "would you work over there for a while and I'd come over every month or so and you could come back over when you have holiday time". This was kind of an intriguing question she posed, I do miss home and the work environment. We're both prepared to give it a shot - if it doesn't work out, I haven't lost much except a sh*tty job here

Now for the immigration bit. I'm only a permanent resident at the moment (although I have the citizenship papers filled out and ready to go). Can I work in the UK and reside in the US or would I get my residency stripped from me? If I make frequent trips back and forth is that a good thing, or not? I'm pretty confused about it to be honest

Any comments/thoughts would be greatfully received
Old Nov 24th 2004, 9:27 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in the US, Working in the UK

Originally Posted by Titchski
Now for the immigration bit. I'm only a permanent resident at the moment (although I have the citizenship papers filled out and ready to go). Can I work in the UK and reside in the US or would I get my residency stripped from me? If I make frequent trips back and forth is that a good thing, or not? I'm pretty confused about it to be honest

Any comments/thoughts would be greatfully received

As a green card holder you are expected to *live* in the US. If you are working in the UK, and spending most of your time there, then there is a real risk you would not be viewed as resident in the US. Ask on the US immigration forum for more information on this.

Why not keep your life simple and get your US citizenship first, then think about moving to the UK?

Jeremy