Living outside of London

Old Jun 23rd 2023, 12:55 am
Just Joined

Moving2024 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living outside of London

Hi all, I am moving to the UK and London specifically. Trying to keep my budget within my salary, I am weighing the options of living outside of London (beyond the zone maps) and within the zone map. My office will be within Zone 1. I noticed that rail fares can be quite pricey and I need to switch different commute, particularly if I live along the borders of Kent and London. Are there any recommendations of great neighbourhoods? Single here but don't really need wild night life.
Old Jun 23rd 2023, 5:11 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living outside of London

Hi, welcome to BE.

You might have to give a bit more info so people can help you - max commute time, what kind of place you want (major town or sleepy village etc), housing budget, where about in Zone 1 you need to get to, etc? I live in Berkshire and a fast train to Paddington is approx 25 mins from here but that may be no use to you if Waterloo or Kings Cross would be a better station for you to come in to.

If you’ve not discovered it already, Right Move has a great tool which tells you places within your budget and commuting distance from the address you give - https://where.rightmove.co.uk
Old Jun 23rd 2023, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Moving2024;13200171]Hi all, I am moving to the UK and London specifically. Trying to keep my budget within my salary, I am weighing the options of living outside of London (beyond the zone maps) and within the zone map. My office will be within Zone 1. I noticed that rail fares can be quite pricey and I need to switch different commute, particularly if I live along the borders of Kent and London. Are there any recommendations of great neighbourhoods? Single here but don't really need wild night life.[/QUOT

Windsor is a good option their train times vary or Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire and Berkshire are all commutable to London. It depends on your Budget, ie St Albans is nice but can be pricey depending on your style of home, I am not too sure on travel from Kent (I have family there but never really visit)
Old Jun 23rd 2023, 2:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

I know someone who commuted from Epsom, Surrey for many years, so cannot be too bad from there.
Also Guildford area is doable.

Old Jun 23rd 2023, 2:54 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

My primary tip would be to, in the first instance, look at locations in the area served by the nearest mainline station to your office - so west London and Thames Valley if your office is near Paddington/ Marble Arch, and SW London, Kingston, Surbiton and Surrey if your office is near Waterloo/ Traf Sq/ Fleet St, (or the City - the Drain is a very short ride to Bank) etc., as it can be easy to add half an hour or more getting from the mainline terminus across central London to your office.

That said I do not know how Crossrail/ Elizabeth Line might have affected some commuting possibilities.