Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Light bulb moment - relieved to be going home!

Wikiposts

Light bulb moment - relieved to be going home!

Old Jan 10th 2008, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

lucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud of
Default Light bulb moment - relieved to be going home!

Hi there

Well I've had a lightbulb moment and I'm no longer going through the turmoil of am I am I not doing the right thing to be leaving oz etc which everyone seems to go through at some stage!

I've turned a corner so to speak and I'm actually feeling relieved to be going home! In fact, I can't wait! I'm not sure what's caused me to have this epiphany but I no longer think am I making a big mistake to be leaving oz because I know in my hearts of hearts I just want to be home!

Only 10 weeks to go now. We had the removalists round yesterday for a quote (Wridgways). We were planning to do our removal ourselves, but b****r that! With a toddler to look after we're going to go for the easier option of a shared container. Could take months and months for our stuff to get back but that's ok.

I think sitting down and getting my big checklist week by week of things to do has taken a lot of the stress out of the impending move back as well. It doesn't seem as overwhelming because I know we can get it all done in the timeframe that we have left.

I've made a big list of things I'm looking forward to when I get home and it's on my fridge to remind me every day of all the good things we have to look forward to!

Of course, there are many things I"ll miss about Australia, and a part of me is slightly nervous as to how I'll actually feel when I get home and will I like it but I'm kind of pushing those thoughts to the back of my mind and focussing on all the positives that moving back can offer!

So, to all of you out there in a sea of angst as to whether you're doing the right thing or not moving back, just trust your gut instincts, who know's you might get a light bulb moment too!

Old Jan 10th 2008, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

Location: woodbridge suffolk hoping to go live northside brisbane
suffolk nuts has a brilliant futuresuffolk nuts has a brilliant futuresuffolk nuts has a brilliant futuresuffolk nuts has a brilliant futuresuffolk nuts has a brilliant futuresuffolk nuts has a brilliant future
Default Re: Light bulb moment - relieved to be going home!

good luck to you hope all goes well its a lovely feeling to be going home isnt it
Old Jan 10th 2008, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

varnold is just really nicevarnold is just really nicevarnold is just really nicevarnold is just really nicevarnold is just really nicevarnold is just really nicevarnold is just really nicevarnold is just really nicevarnold is just really nice

Originally Posted by lucy71
Hi there

Well I've had a lightbulb moment and I'm no longer going through the turmoil of am I am I not doing the right thing to be leaving oz etc which everyone seems to go through at some stage!

I've turned a corner so to speak and I'm actually feeling relieved to be going home! In fact, I can't wait! I'm not sure what's caused me to have this epiphany but I no longer think am I making a big mistake to be leaving oz because I know in my hearts of hearts I just want to be home!

Only 10 weeks to go now. We had the removalists round yesterday for a quote (Wridgways). We were planning to do our removal ourselves, but b****r that! With a toddler to look after we're going to go for the easier option of a shared container. Could take months and months for our stuff to get back but that's ok.

I think sitting down and getting my big checklist week by week of things to do has taken a lot of the stress out of the impending move back as well. It doesn't seem as overwhelming because I know we can get it all done in the timeframe that we have left.

I've made a big list of things I'm looking forward to when I get home and it's on my fridge to remind me every day of all the good things we have to look forward to!

Of course, there are many things I"ll miss about Australia, and a part of me is slightly nervous as to how I'll actually feel when I get home and will I like it but I'm kind of pushing those thoughts to the back of my mind and focussing on all the positives that moving back can offer!

So, to all of you out there in a sea of angst as to whether you're doing the right thing or not moving back, just trust your gut instincts, who know's you might get a light bulb moment too!

Goodluck to you....I think i had a light bulb moment, woke up one day and decided this is it.....I need to go back. I hope it works out for us both and anyone else returning. Goodluck
Old Jan 10th 2008, 10:10 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck Lucy

Now you have made the decision life gets quite exciting!!

I returned to UK back in August thinking it was for good, but circumstances mean I have had to come back for a while. Having done this, it has made me realise there are things i will miss about Aus, but only a handful of minor things really.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Good luck Lucy

Now you have made the decision life gets quite exciting!!

I returned to UK back in August thinking it was for good, but circumstances mean I have had to come back for a while. Having done this, it has made me realise there are things i will miss about Aus, but only a handful of minor things really.

Spot on. I think anyone going back has to accept that there will be things they miss about oz. Don't try and block those things out of your mind just accept them. It would be foolish to go back and try and think everything in oz was bad. Just like it's very foolish of those coming out here from the UK and changing there name to Bruce and Sheila before they've even got of the plane.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 9:58 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manc1
Spot on. I think anyone going back has to accept that there will be things they miss about oz. Don't try and block those things out of your mind just accept them. It would be foolish to go back and try and think everything in oz was bad. Just like it's very foolish of those coming out here from the UK and changing there name to Bruce and Sheila before they've even got of the plane.
Hi Manc

Absolutely agree with you.
The things i will miss are the excellent outdoor cafe culture here in Sydney. Access to glorious beaches even though i dont go there that much it's great to have them on hand when in the mood for it. Of course the warmer weather, although i hate it when its too hot and loved the frosty mornings when I was back in UK.
Apart from bananas and potatoes, i feel aussie fruit tastes nicer especially stone fruit and grapes.
Cant think of other stuff right now, but as you can see none of them are important enough to want to keep me here. All quite trivial.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

SiennaRowe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lucy71
Hi there

Hi there,

I just wondered how long you have been in Aus & where...

S xx

PS: Congrats on making the decision to go back to England, I have been here for 2.5 years now, and can't see myself making that decision any time soon!
Old Jan 12th 2008, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

lucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud of

We've been here 3 years and live in Melbourne. We've got our citizenship so we can always come back if we want to. Feel we've given it a good go, but I think you know in your heart of hearts when you've had enough, still not feeling settled and want to go home.

I was walking through my local village thinking was I sad to be leaving and I actually felt nothing. Maybe it's because our departure date is still 9 weeks away, maybe I will feel sad to leave but at the moment I just feel relief to be leaving! Of course I'll miss lots of good things about oz, and there are plenty, but this is only natural when you've lived somewhere for a while and get familiar with where you live.

I've got some strategies I've thought about to help me transition back to living in England.

So I've decided to get a lightbox to help get me through the winter, to buy a coffee making machine to make my own coffee and get out and about no matter what the weather and keep some of that outdoorsy attitude!
Old Jan 12th 2008, 2:54 pm

Triboy is an unknown quantity at this point

$20 says there's a 'have you tried somewhere else' post coming.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 8:12 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you tried moving to a different state ??? Mmmm??

Good for you Lucy21, you must feel so relieved not to be doing that "Should we, shouldn't we?" thing everyday...like wot we do!

Keep us all posted won't you.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 3:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with all your preparations for your return!
Old Jan 13th 2008, 4:05 am
Forum Regular

isleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really nice

HI lucy

HOPE ALL GOES WELL FOR YOU ON YOUR PLANNED RETURN, I MOVED BACK TO UK MANY YEARS AGO, LIVE ON THE ISLE OF MAN NOW, NICE BEACHES, CLEAN WATER, LITTLE TAX. YOU HAVE TO MAKE THE MOST OF WINTERS IN UK, YESTERDAYS WEATHER WAS GOOD,NOT COLD WINDY OR RAINING WHENT ON A 7 MILE HIKE WITH SOME FRIENDS THROUGH SOME SPECTACULAR SENARY, GREEN HILLS, VALLEYS, RIVERS AND WATERFALLS, ENDED UP AT GREAT PUB, REAL ALE, LOG FIRE, IT WAS GREAT, WE GOT A MINI BUS BETWEEN US AND IT COST 5 QUID EACH. BEST PART OF WINTER FOR ME IS GETTING OUT WALKING AND ENDING UP FOR A FEW PINTS WITH FRIENDS WITH THRE LOG FIRE BURNING........
Old Jan 14th 2008, 6:01 am
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Light bulb moment - relieved to be going home!

Originally Posted by isleofmanmike
HI lucy

HOPE ALL GOES WELL FOR YOU ON YOUR PLANNED RETURN, I MOVED BACK TO UK MANY YEARS AGO, LIVE ON THE ISLE OF MAN NOW, NICE BEACHES, CLEAN WATER, LITTLE TAX. YOU HAVE TO MAKE THE MOST OF WINTERS IN UK, YESTERDAYS WEATHER WAS GOOD,NOT COLD WINDY OR RAINING WHENT ON A 7 MILE HIKE WITH SOME FRIENDS THROUGH SOME SPECTACULAR SENARY, GREEN HILLS, VALLEYS, RIVERS AND WATERFALLS, ENDED UP AT GREAT PUB, REAL ALE, LOG FIRE, IT WAS GREAT, WE GOT A MINI BUS BETWEEN US AND IT COST 5 QUID EACH. BEST PART OF WINTER FOR ME IS GETTING OUT WALKING AND ENDING UP FOR A FEW PINTS WITH FRIENDS WITH THRE LOG FIRE BURNING........
Ohhhhhhhhh that sounds so nice roaring log fire and all sounds like you had a brilliant day.....Im here in NZ slowly melting in the heat & swatting the flies of me like crazy..Wishing i was in the UK but have grandchildren here in NZ so the decision keeps getting put off.....
Old Jan 15th 2008, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

Charlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant future

Best of luck. We returned nearly 7 years ago from Auckland and the best advice I can give is NEVER look back, always look forward; otherwise it will screw you up!
Old Jan 17th 2008, 11:43 pm
Forum Regular

bramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to behold

I am really pleased for you, must be a great feeling.

I have almost got that light bulb feeling, at the moment I think the dimmer switch has been turned down

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.