Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Letting agents not getting back to you

Letting agents not getting back to you

Old Sep 13th 2021, 2:17 pm
Just Joined

Palomino is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Letting agents not getting back to you

We've just enquired for a couple of apartments for let, but havent heard back from the Agents.
Im now thinking that maybe they dont want to rent to outsiders because they want local people to get these first.
Has anyone else run into this?
We are looking in Northern Ireland right now.
Please share your experience with Letting Agents, good or bad.
thanks
Old Sep 13th 2021, 2:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Letting agents not getting back to you

Originally Posted by Palomino
We've just enquired for a couple of apartments for let, but havent heard back from the Agents.
Im now thinking that maybe they dont want to rent to outsiders because they want local people to get these first.
thanks
How did you enquire and was it via phone, email or contact form? I am in the Republic myself and it is very common in Ireland that you have to chase the people for everything and phone is the preferred method. We don't rent but the housing market is tough everywhere and apartments might be gone on the same day they are published, depending on location What sites do you use (propertypal etc.)?.

Last edited by Moses2013; Sep 13th 2021 at 3:01 pm.
Old Sep 13th 2021, 3:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Palomino
thanks
Yep, as Moses said, how are you enquiring, are you picking up the phone or going in person? Emails are less likely to get a response. If you're not already in the country, you'll find they may not take you all that seriously, particularly if the market in NI is as crazy as it is in my area (south east England - everything renting or selling within a day or two, often with a bidding war).
Old Sep 13th 2021, 11:50 pm
Just Joined

RoyalBlood77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, I have had the same issues. I had to have my Dad check out a few rentals for me. However, I am just going to stay with family short-term and look myself when I get back.
Old Sep 14th 2021, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

MrCheeky is an unknown quantity at this point

I experienced the same issue (England). I made enquiries via email and only received a reply from two out of seven letting agencies. My main issue was that we are not seeking to move in until July 1 next year so enquiries so far in advance are redundant, especially in this market. What could be useful is to seek some advice from letting agents as to a particular area you may want to move to if you are not familiar with it.
Old Sep 14th 2021, 10:19 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

My Canadian stepson has been transferred to Scotland on a 2yr posting, the employer has arranged for all their stuff to be shipped to the UK (minus whatever they want to store in Canada)

The employer has a UK relocation agent who has helped them with dealing with estate agents, the problem is a lack of suitable accomodation with a set travel time from where he'll be working. But the employer will be paying for the AirBnB until they find something, and paying the rent, so the estate agent won't need to worry whether they'll get paid.

The Canadian government is good for some things.
Old Sep 15th 2021, 4:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Palomino
I’ve sent you a Private Message.
I know a good agent.
Old Sep 18th 2021, 5:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

You’re welcome.