Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Knowing its right to go home from Aus when

Knowing its right to go home from Aus when

Old Jan 25th 2008, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

bramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Knowing its right to go home from Aus when

Originally Posted by Basil Brush
Our daily feelings range from "It's such a beautiful place-we should stick it out hoping that we wake up one day and love it here" to "What are we even doing here-lets stop wasting our lives being unhappy and pluck up the courage to just take the plunge"

life is too short to spend it waiting for Oz to "click" for us.

BB
I can really relate to how you are feeling, we are going through the same emotions here in France
Old Jan 25th 2008, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

dinwiddie98 has a brilliant futuredinwiddie98 has a brilliant futuredinwiddie98 has a brilliant futuredinwiddie98 has a brilliant futuredinwiddie98 has a brilliant futuredinwiddie98 has a brilliant futuredinwiddie98 has a brilliant future

Similar story to mine - our first trip back was after 4.5 years as we also wanted to settle in & were advised not to take a trip back for a few years. Our trip was also in Dec 05/Jan 06!! We had a ball and didn't want to return to Oz but as you say you get back and the routine begins again, before you know it another 6 or 8 months has gone by and then those feelings return with a vengeance! I still feel like a foreigner here after all this time and just want to have that feeling of belonging that I took for granted before we emigrated.

We also took a second trip back to England to test the waters - ours was Oct & Nov 2006 and unfortunately we didn't have a good trip this time. Partly because my OH stayed in Oz and so it wasn't the same without him and I was in the difficult position of having to decide if the UK was the right decision for all of us. The little car that we bought was also vandalised whilst I was visiting an old friend (she did live in a rough area though), and I focused way too much on all the negative news reports about crime and racial issues. We came back to Oz in late November 2006 after deciding that we couldn't go through with the move, but within 6 months of returning we were feeing just the same and have been that way for the last 7 months. Our daily feelings range from "It's such a beautiful place-we should stick it out hoping that we wake up one day and love it here" to "What are we even doing here-lets stop wasting our lives being unhappy and pluck up the courage to just take the plunge"

Six years of being confused and anxious is beginning to take it's toll and the last 12 months (since we came back from our 2nd trip) has been the first time in my life that my health has been affected by my unhappiness. A close friend of ours has just died in the UK very suddenly at just over 40yo and it's really made me think that life is too short to spend it waiting for Oz to "click" for us.

When will you be returning to the UK and which year level will your 14yo be going into? I'm hoping that they will allow my 14yo to go into year 9 when they return in Sept 08 (although his age would normally place him in year 10, he is currently just about to start year 8 in Oz as we kept him back a year), so he wouldn't be anywhere near ready to begin his GCSE's if we return in the next few months!!!

Thanks for such an in-depth reply - there aren't many on the MBTTUK forum who are taking teenagers back as most are taking back little ones, so it's good to hear your experience & positive feedback.

All the best
BB
Couldn't help but reply to your text, we left South Africa 9 years ago with all our family the youngest being 16. She found it hard at college because the curriculam was completely differant and the teachers she had did'nt seem to like the way she talked!!! that was my impression. But we soldiered on and 9 years later she has a wonderful job in corperate travel and has been on so many away trips plus she found a great boyfriend and they have even bought a house together . All my children got jobs as soon as we arrived, in fact my other daughter then aged 21 walked up to Thomas Cook at Manchester AIrport when we stepped off the plane and asked if they had any vacancies, I think they were that impressed with her chutzpa and YES they did give her a job. So just keep thinking positive and good luck
Old Jan 25th 2008, 4:58 pm
Banned

Backhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond repute

I have noticed a lot of folks saying ”we want to go home but do not want to really leave such a lovely Country” why not consider if coming home moving to Dorset, Devon or Cornwall, I have yet to find a more beautiful relaxing place than the Dorset coastline and would consider moving there myself if I did not live in such a vibrant beautiful place like Stratford upon Avon.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Lancashire - Vic, Oz - hopefully Yorkshire or Devon
Basil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Backhomeatlast
I have noticed a lot of folks saying ”we want to go home but do not want to really leave such a lovely Country” why not consider if coming home moving to Dorset, Devon or Cornwall, I have yet to find a more beautiful relaxing place than the Dorset coastline and would consider moving there myself if I did not live in such a vibrant beautiful place like Stratford upon Avon.
This is what we have decided to do - except that as we are from 'Up North' we are thinking about trying to settle in one of the lovely Yorkshire villages. Going back to the exact place that we had originally left was heartbreaking as we can see how much the area has deteriorated, so even if we only move an hour away from our home-town we can enjoy something different, rather than going back to the same old.

We took a trip to Stratfrord upon Avon when we were back in the UK in Jan 2006 - it is a beautiful area with heaps of character and history. Would love to live there but can imagine it's very pricey!!
Old Jan 26th 2008, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

This is what we have decided to do - except that as we are from 'Up North' we are thinking about trying to settle in one of the lovely Yorkshire villages. Going back to the exact place that we had originally left was heartbreaking as we can see how much the area has deteriorated, so even if we only move an hour away from our home-town we can enjoy something different, rather than going back to the same old.

We took a trip to Stratfrord upon Avon when we were back in the UK in Jan 2006 - it is a beautiful area with heaps of character and history. Would love to live there but can imagine it's very pricey!!
Hi again...we are originally from nice areas back home near Manchester...so e have had not "bad experiences" when we visited.....and luckily neither have our families...like all places around the world....the areas you choose to live in are important for what you want out of life...I would not come and live in a certain suburb in Perth because of the violence etc....so I would do the same on my arrival back home......we will be trying an area slightly away from where we lived...just because we want to try it..something different....but we would be still close enough for our family to drop by............if you do not have that pull of family I would choose anywhere I loved..York...all the old Northern Villiages in Lancashire....some beautiful places and because of transport not far from the City if needed....we loved Chester...and parts of the Wirral and just love Northern Derbyshire....(we border near enought on Derbyshire/Cheshire and Yorkshire so great location really) it to is talking a toll and both me and now my husband....so we finally decided last year after our visit enough is enough and lets go home...easier than it sounds as you do weigh up lots of things...but as my friends have said once your back home...it will all be good.....I know a few people who have gone back home and have gone through all of this and once home they said "they cannot believe Aus made them nearly ill with all the stress"...and no they have not regretted it.....going home...and all different ages...(their children)
The education will be different and we have told our boys this but they are good lads and have really good grades here and they said they will be fine..they are confident they will get the help from teachers and from us.....my sister in law has just had an English family move in next door to them from South Africa....they lost a lot in material things...ie they had "home help" (nicer way of putting servants!!!) a huge home etc but they were just not happy so they decided to come home they did think of Aus but they realised it would not be the home they wanted and they are very happy, they live in a nice area...have a 3 bedroom semi and are lovely the social life they and their boys are having now back at home....no regrets except they wish they had done it sooner...oh and the boys attracted a lot of "girlfriends" because they just looooooved their accents!!!!! I think my boys will now adapt Aussie ones (they still have their Northern accents after all this time) just to get the girls back home!!!!...I think not!!!!
Best wishes and enjoy the long weekend end..I am off now to cook a big breakfast....alas not on the bbq as it has just broke!!! typical of my luck!!!!
Old Jan 26th 2008, 1:47 am
Forum Regular

Basil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dinwiddie98
Couldn't help but reply to your text, we left South Africa 9 years ago with all our family the youngest being 16. She found it hard at college because the curriculam was completely differant and the teachers she had did'nt seem to like the way she talked!!! that was my impression. But we soldiered on and 9 years later she has a wonderful job in corperate travel and has been on so many away trips plus she found a great boyfriend and they have even bought a house together . All my children got jobs as soon as we arrived, in fact my other daughter then aged 21 walked up to Thomas Cook at Manchester AIrport when we stepped off the plane and asked if they had any vacancies, I think they were that impressed with her chutzpa and YES they did give her a job. So just keep thinking positive and good luck
Thanks for the positive post.....sending some karma to you!
Old Jan 26th 2008, 1:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by brits1
Hi again...we are originally from nice areas back home near Manchester...so e have had not "bad experiences" when we visited.....and luckily neither have our families...like all places around the world....the areas you choose to live in are important for what you want out of life...I would not come and live in a certain suburb in Perth because of the violence etc....so I would do the same on my arrival back home......we will be trying an area slightly away from where we lived...just because we want to try it..something different....but we would be still close enough for our family to drop by............if you do not have that pull of family I would choose anywhere I loved..York...all the old Northern Villiages in Lancashire....some beautiful places and because of transport not far from the City if needed....we loved Chester...and parts of the Wirral and just love Northern Derbyshire....(we border near enought on Derbyshire/Cheshire and Yorkshire so great location really) it to is talking a toll and both me and now my husband....so we finally decided last year after our visit enough is enough and lets go home...easier than it sounds as you do weigh up lots of things...but as my friends have said once your back home...it will all be good.....I know a few people who have gone back home and have gone through all of this and once home they said "they cannot believe Aus made them nearly ill with all the stress"...and no they have not regretted it.....going home...and all different ages...(their children)
The education will be different and we have told our boys this but they are good lads and have really good grades here and they said they will be fine..they are confident they will get the help from teachers and from us.....my sister in law has just had an English family move in next door to them from South Africa....they lost a lot in material things...ie they had "home help" (nicer way of putting servants!!!) a huge home etc but they were just not happy so they decided to come home they did think of Aus but they realised it would not be the home they wanted and they are very happy, they live in a nice area...have a 3 bedroom semi and are lovely the social life they and their boys are having now back at home....no regrets except they wish they had done it sooner...oh and the boys attracted a lot of "girlfriends" because they just looooooved their accents!!!!! I think my boys will now adapt Aussie ones (they still have their Northern accents after all this time) just to get the girls back home!!!!...I think not!!!!Best wishes and enjoy the long weekend end..I am off now to cook a big breakfast....alas not on the bbq as it has just broke!!! typical of my luck!!!!
This part made me laugh.....I think you are quite right & reckon their accents are going to be quite popular with the girls!!!!!!
Old Jan 26th 2008, 10:03 pm
Banned

Backhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond repute

In the popular areas close to the town yes, but say a mile outside town there are some good older properties and fair prices.