Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Knowing its right to go home from Aus when

Knowing its right to go home from Aus when

Old Jan 23rd 2008, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Knowing its right to go home from Aus when

I have been on this forum for a while now, found this site by accident and it has been a lifesaver...we are going home this year from Perth to England and after 10 years here it will be a dream come true...not all of it has been bad by any means and we would never put anyone off from coming over to start a new life here in Aus...it's just not home for us....but the truth of the matter is that even now there are days when I think "are we doing the right thing"..."I will miss walking our dog on the beach"..etc those little things...but yesterday I had a bit of a shock....we had our home valued ready to put it on the market and the values came back a lot lower than late last year...I was shocked...I cried as we are relying on the money for our move home...and it was then that it really came to me.....I really, really do want to move home.....I did not realise just how much until yesterday...when for a short time I thought we did not have a choice..and the thought of staying here in Perth for heavens knows how long was just to awful for words.....we are still going home....all be it with a lot less money than we thought....there has been a silver lining though....we do have an "off the plan" which is where a lot of our money is tied up in and that will be ready for sale in Dec08/Jan 09
and it has made me realise just how much I do not want to be here....my family have always been so definate about going home...me I had my moments but when you think you may not have a choice and really look at staying for ever it was all that I needed.......we still have a choice...thank the heavens but for those who don't and would like to go home...I feel for you I really do.........
Jackie...rich is so many otherways now I never thought I was........
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

gsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nice
Default Re: Knowing its right to go home from Aus when

Originally Posted by brits1
I have been on this forum for a while now, found this site by accident and it has been a lifesaver...we are going home this year from Perth to England and after 10 years here it will be a dream come true...not all of it has been bad by any means and we would never put anyone off from coming over to start a new life here in Aus...it's just not home for us....but the truth of the matter is that even now there are days when I think "are we doing the right thing"..."I will miss walking our dog on the beach"..etc those little things...but yesterday I had a bit of a shock....we had our home valued ready to put it on the market and the values came back a lot lower than late last year...I was shocked...I cried as we are relying on the money for our move home...and it was then that it really came to me.....I really, really do want to move home.....I did not realise just how much until yesterday...when for a short time I thought we did not have a choice..and the thought of staying here in Perth for heavens knows how long was just to awful for words.....we are still going home....all be it with a lot less money than we thought....there has been a silver lining though....we do have an "off the plan" which is where a lot of our money is tied up in and that will be ready for sale in Dec08/Jan 09
and it has made me realise just how much I do not want to be here....my family have always been so definate about going home...me I had my moments but when you think you may not have a choice and really look at staying for ever it was all that I needed.......we still have a choice...thank the heavens but for those who don't and would like to go home...I feel for you I really do.........
Jackie...rich is so many otherways now I never thought I was........
Hi, Dont forget prices have falling in England too!!! So it sort of evens out. Obviously depending where you want to live, but houses are not selling so if you go in with a cash offer, they will probably snap your hand off because everyone is getting worried!!!!
Do you have children? what made you stay 10 years?
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 10:56 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

And don't forget that the Aussie dollar is so much stronger against the pound than it was this time last year too.

I felt the same as you when we had this valued. It's lost a bit since we had it valued last year but we'll still walk away with the same in pounds...thanks to the dollar getting stronger.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gsxrmad
Hi, Dont forget prices have falling in England too!!! So it sort of evens out. Obviously depending where you want to live, but houses are not selling so if you go in with a cash offer, they will probably snap your hand off because everyone is getting worried!!!!
Do you have children? what made you stay 10 years?
Because we kept thinking we would wake up one day and it would be home...and that (before this site) everyone we knew here kept saying it was wonderful....people are mad not to enjoy it here...we thought everyone felt like that and it was only us who did not just feel "settled".....and it changed when we went home for our first visit after 7 years....it was still home...we still loved being there and if anything to us it had changed for the better...we went back last year for 10 weeks to really make a decision..really we should not have done it as for the main reason the cost but the 2nd we already knew we were going to head back home...it just made us want to do it sooner rather than later....
Thanks for the advice...It is nice to know (horrible in otherways for some people) that the pound is not as strong...and that homes are becoming cheaper at home...it's just well we have not really had to worry about money before.....but as I said it's not everything in life....helps.....but not everything
Thank you.......take care
ha
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

gsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nice

Because we kept thinking we would wake up one day and it would be home...and that (before this site) everyone we knew here kept saying it was wonderful....people are mad not to enjoy it here...we thought everyone felt like that and it was only us who did not just feel "settled".....and it changed when we went home for our first visit after 7 years....it was still home...we still loved being there and if anything to us it had changed for the better...we went back last year for 10 weeks to really make a decision..really we should not have done it as for the main reason the cost but the 2nd we already knew we were going to head back home...it just made us want to do it sooner rather than later....
Thanks for the advice...It is nice to know (horrible in otherways for some people) that the pound is not as strong...and that homes are becoming cheaper at home...it's just well we have not really had to worry about money before.....but as I said it's not everything in life....helps.....but not everything
ha
What part of England are you heading for ? Luckily we could not sell our house so rented it out which ends in March, cant wait we are already making plans to do this and that!!!
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TraceyW
And don't forget that the Aussie dollar is so much stronger against the pound than it was this time last year too.

I felt the same as you when we had this valued. It's lost a bit since we had it valued last year but we'll still walk away with the same in pounds...thanks to the dollar getting stronger.
Thanks Tracey.....I spoke to Kath last night (Kath & Graham) and she said he same thing..homes are dropping in price and that she was glad she sold when she did.........but as long as we go home.....then everything else can be worked out....we will not be struggling...but I may not get my dream home for now!!!
Thanks
Jackie
I still think the Estate Agents are Cheeky though, I would snap my hand off for what they want to sell our home for...it's better than a bargain...it's a rip off......$50,000 / $60,000 they have dropped it !!!!!! it's only 14 months old, huge, and all the top appliances etc.......
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 11:18 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Hang on a mo....don't forget that the real estate agent is having to work a helluva lot harder for their commission at the moment so they will obviously want you to market it at a very appealing price. They don't want to be having to fork out advertising fees week after week, they just want shut of the house and walk away with their money.

Our agent wanted to market this house $50k below what it was valued at last year which was $635+, she reckons she just wanted to get peeps through the door, then she'd bump the price up Not on your nelly mate! We're marketing at $620 - $650 and we will be very happy with anything within that range. We know the market is slow, but, I've been watching the houses around by us selling within that price range, and yes, it does take a while but we've got the time, we're in no great rush. If ours isn't even getting a sniff in the the next few months, well, we'll drop it a bit then.

Why don't you go to a few home opens in your area over the weekend, look at houses around your price and compare what you have to what they have. Your agent can only advise you, it's up to you what you ask for your house.

Remember, a house is only worth what a punter wants to pay for it. I'm waiting for a cashed up Pommie, fresh off the boat!!
Old Jan 24th 2008, 8:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Hang on a mo....don't forget that the real estate agent is having to work a helluva lot harder for their commission at the moment so they will obviously want you to market it at a very appealing price. They don't want to be having to fork out advertising fees week after week, they just want shut of the house and walk away with their money.

Our agent wanted to market this house $50k below what it was valued at last year which was $635+, she reckons she just wanted to get peeps through the door, then she'd bump the price up Not on your nelly mate! We're marketing at $620 - $650 and we will be very happy with anything within that range. We know the market is slow, but, I've been watching the houses around by us selling within that price range, and yes, it does take a while but we've got the time, we're in no great rush. If ours isn't even getting a sniff in the the next few months, well, we'll drop it a bit then.

Why don't you go to a few home opens in your area over the weekend, look at houses around your price and compare what you have to what they have. Your agent can only advise you, it's up to you what you ask for your house.

Remember, a house is only worth what a punter wants to pay for it. I'm waiting for a cashed up Pommie, fresh off the boat!!
Yes, maybe we need to have a real estate section on here - cut out the real estate middle man!
Old Jan 24th 2008, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Tracey, yes last Oct our home was worth $620 - $655....now they want the mid to late 500!!! we are having another agent round in about 20 mins and hopefully they might come back with a bit more than the other two!!!....I've only been to home opens when I have been looking for a home..so I will give that a try....a home smaller than ours further along the Blvd where we live sold in two weeks and that was mid to late 500 but it's smaller than our and it not situated around the lake and park as our home is!!! we will just have to wait...we are not going to hurry to sell as we have said as long as the boys are home in time for the new school year (08) in Sept we will be happy!!!!!
Would love to have a buyer "fresh of the boat"...but even they now seem to think homes here are expensive!!!!!
Thanks once again
Jackie
Old Jan 24th 2008, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Lancashire - Vic, Oz - hopefully Yorkshire or Devon
Basil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of light

ha
Do you have any kids Jackie and at what ages? How do they feel about the move back?
Old Jan 24th 2008, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Basil Brush
Do you have any kids Jackie and at what ages? How do they feel about the move back?
Two and both have wanted to be home for a couple of years...in fact my youngest has said quite often "you promised after two years if we did not like it we would go home".....and now 10 years later!!!! one is going into year 10 and the other into year 12...
Old Jan 24th 2008, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

Basil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of light

Two and both have wanted to be home for a couple of years...in fact my youngest has said quite often "you promised after two years if we did not like it we would go home".....and now 10 years later!!!! one is going into year 10 and the other into year 12...

Wow....so they must be around 16 & 18 - what will they do back in the UK. College / Uni???

My 14 yo son has been here since he was 7.5yo and he has mixed feelings about returning to England.....he sees it as a cold, wet country that is full of crime & has nothing to offer him, but me & OH still aren't happy here after more than 6 years & aside of the financial struggle of moving back, we are scared that our son will struggle to settle there and that he will resent us for it....not to mention our own fears that we will regret the move.

The last 6 years has been such an emotional roller-coaster!
Old Jan 24th 2008, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Basil Brush
Wow....so they must be around 16 & 18 - what will they do back in the UK. College / Uni???

My 14 yo son has been here since he was 7.5yo and he has mixed feelings about returning to England.....he sees it as a cold, wet country that is full of crime & has nothing to offer him, but me & OH still aren't happy here after more than 6 years & aside of the financial struggle of moving back, we are scared that our son will struggle to settle there and that he will resent us for it....not to mention our own fears that we will regret the move.

The last 6 years has been such an emotional roller-coaster!
My sons are 14 and nearly 17, our 14 year old would start his GCSE's in Sept 08 and our oldest who has just done a year of Tee's would start his A level's in college....we have always felt that Aus was not home for us...we really have tried...we have been here 10 years this Oct (08) and it is time for us to stope trying and to get on with our lives. We did not go back home until we had been here for 7 years...mainly because we wanted to give Aus a chance and for us to "settle"...we heard of the British people who lived here how horrible it was "back home"....how brill Aus was etc..and that kept us here as well for so long...but our first visit (Christma & Newyear of 05/06) was just wonderful...no yob's, polite people and if anything the cities that we visited were so much more improved....we came back to Aus...it was just terrible at first but we got into the "routine" again...but it was just not right...our boys missed their cousins,aunts, grandparents etc as we did!! they loved being there....so we went back last March to May and we paid all our own "way"...we found it really cheap compaired to Perth in lots of ways....most of the people we knew here in Perth who had gone on about how horrible it was back home we had since found out had not been back in years.......our families have not had any problems with this so called "yob" culture, all of our neices and nephews have turned out to be wonderful people who all have good jobs and homes (we are from a normal working class background kind of family) but most of our nephews and neices have A levels or degrees or very good jobs....my youngest nephew and neice are 7 years old (twins a boy and a girl) and they play cricket, swim, dance, play football and are generally "out" more than they are "in" which I cannot say that for children in Perth....mine are very sporty (even before they came here) but they seem to be in a minority at their now age groups!!!...My sister in law is a teacher in England and she says that the papers really go overboard on this yob culture......it really annoys her as she has not come across anything like that in her classes and she has been teaching for 17 years!!!!! I am not saying it does not happen but then it happens here in Aus....my sons have been bullied here, one very badly when he was in years 2 & 3......my husband and I have thought about it as we will loose out in money terms but when we look to our future....well we would rather be in Europe and travelling around Britain on coach tours when we are older!!! hopefully in many, many more years to come.....I would not worry too much about your son....children are much better than handling change than adults...inspire your son with confidence if you want to return home....and see the difference.....there are some excellent High Schools in England...and I personally think that they have a greater choice in work and educational choices than here in Aus........it is a great place for some...it really is....just not for us........
All the best
Old Jan 24th 2008, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

My sons are 14 and nearly 17, our 14 year old would start his GCSE's in Sept 08 and our oldest who has just done a year of Tee's would start his A level's in college....we have always felt that Aus was not home for us...we really have tried...we have been here 10 years this Oct (08) and it is time for us to stope trying and to get on with our lives. We did not go back home until we had been here for 7 years...mainly because we wanted to give Aus a chance and for us to "settle"...we heard of the British people who lived here how horrible it was "back home"....how brill Aus was etc..and that kept us here as well for so long...but our first visit (Christma & Newyear of 05/06) was just wonderful...no yob's, polite people and if anything the cities that we visited were so much more improved....we came back to Aus...it was just terrible at first but we got into the "routine" again...but it was just not right...our boys missed their cousins,aunts, grandparents etc as we did!! they loved being there....so we went back last March to May and we paid all our own "way"...we found it really cheap compaired to Perth in lots of ways....most of the people we knew here in Perth who had gone on about how horrible it was back home we had since found out had not been back in years.......our families have not had any problems with this so called "yob" culture, all of our neices and nephews have turned out to be wonderful people who all have good jobs and homes (we are from a normal working class background kind of family) but most of our nephews and neices have A levels or degrees or very good jobs....my youngest nephew and neice are 7 years old (twins a boy and a girl) and they play cricket, swim, dance, play football and are generally "out" more than they are "in" which I cannot say that for children in Perth....mine are very sporty (even before they came here) but they seem to be in a minority at their now age groups!!!...My sister in law is a teacher in England and she says that the papers really go overboard on this yob culture......it really annoys her as she has not come across anything like that in her classes and she has been teaching for 17 years!!!!! I am not saying it does not happen but then it happens here in Aus....my sons have been bullied here, one very badly when he was in years 2 & 3......my husband and I have thought about it as we will loose out in money terms but when we look to our future....well we would rather be in Europe and travelling around Britain on coach tours when we are older!!! hopefully in many, many more years to come.....I would not worry too much about your son....children are much better than handling change than adults...inspire your son with confidence if you want to return home....and see the difference.....there are some excellent High Schools in England...and I personally think that they have a greater choice in work and educational choices than here in Aus........it is a great place for some...it really is....just not for us........
All the best

Similar story to mine - our first trip back was after 4.5 years as we also wanted to settle in & were advised not to take a trip back for a few years. Our trip was also in Dec 05/Jan 06!! We had a ball and didn't want to return to Oz but as you say you get back and the routine begins again, before you know it another 6 or 8 months has gone by and then those feelings return with a vengeance! I still feel like a foreigner here after all this time and just want to have that feeling of belonging that I took for granted before we emigrated.

We also took a second trip back to England to test the waters - ours was Oct & Nov 2006 and unfortunately we didn't have a good trip this time. Partly because my OH stayed in Oz and so it wasn't the same without him and I was in the difficult position of having to decide if the UK was the right decision for all of us. The little car that we bought was also vandalised whilst I was visiting an old friend (she did live in a rough area though), and I focused way too much on all the negative news reports about crime and racial issues. We came back to Oz in late November 2006 after deciding that we couldn't go through with the move, but within 6 months of returning we were feeing just the same and have been that way for the last 7 months. Our daily feelings range from "It's such a beautiful place-we should stick it out hoping that we wake up one day and love it here" to "What are we even doing here-lets stop wasting our lives being unhappy and pluck up the courage to just take the plunge"

Six years of being confused and anxious is beginning to take it's toll and the last 12 months (since we came back from our 2nd trip) has been the first time in my life that my health has been affected by my unhappiness. A close friend of ours has just died in the UK very suddenly at just over 40yo and it's really made me think that life is too short to spend it waiting for Oz to "click" for us.

When will you be returning to the UK and which year level will your 14yo be going into? I'm hoping that they will allow my 14yo to go into year 9 when they return in Sept 08 (although his age would normally place him in year 10, he is currently just about to start year 8 in Oz as we kept him back a year), so he wouldn't be anywhere near ready to begin his GCSE's if we return in the next few months!!!

Thanks for such an in-depth reply - there aren't many on the MBTTUK forum who are taking teenagers back as most are taking back little ones, so it's good to hear your experience & positive feedback.

All the best
BB
Old Jan 24th 2008, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

Whoops....just realised that you've already told me which school year for your 14 yo! Have you been given any advice by the school, eg, do they think he will do okay in his GCSE's given that he only has 2 years left at school. Will he sit a test to show where he is at academically or do they choose the year level purely off their age?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.