Kids Education

Old Sep 14th 2018, 8:28 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kids Education

Originally Posted by JDH101
Honestly, my parents would be a temporary home until we found somewhere to live. But we would stay within the catchment area as its where we want to live.
I have emailed the admissions team and told them of my situation. You are right, I shouldn't lie over something as important as my son's schooling.
Thank you so much for your advice and taking the time to respond. I do think the system is flawed for genuine situations like this. Do they expect me to take my son out of his current school and miss 6 months of education just so we can be placed come September? Moving a family from one country to another is stressful as it is, but this might be the most stressful part to it. So now a little 5 year old is going to do a move across the world, make new friends at a new school, then after a year get moved once again to a new school that is his parents preference.
Hey ho - thanks again.
He'll get a school place, it's a legal obligation for the council to provide one. So no, they don't expect him to miss 6 months of education (although really, how much 'education' is a 4 year old getting?!) just so he can be placed, as he will be given a place somewhere even if you don't rock up until 3rd September. He just may not be placed in your choice of school, but I guess that's a price you pay for moving in an admissions year unfortunately. I wouldn't worry about him changing schools if needed, my son went to 3 different primary schools before the age of 7. At that age they're usually very adaptable.

Lesson learned - in 6 years time make sure you're in your permanent house in the right catchment area by the end of October of his final primary school year, secondary admissions close even earlier and are likely to be even more competitive! We live in an area that has some of the best state schools in the country, and people here often plan their lives around school admissions, I've got several friends who were thinking of moving house and had to bring their plans forward to make sure they moved before October of Year 6 to get their child in to our amazing secondary school.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Sep 14th 2018 at 8:31 am.