Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Just returned from Appealing for school places.

Just returned from Appealing for school places.

Old Aug 14th 2008, 2:24 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Just returned from Appealing for school places.

I know their are afew of you out there, that are worrying about getting your kids in the local school of your choice. I have just returned from having to appeal for my kids to be accepted at our local school.

And we won the appeal, i got myself all worked up and needn't have In my case it was a breeze..........

Their was a panel of 3 independents and 1 person representing the schools.
Its supposed to be done in 2 parts, the first part where the school representative says why they have been refused and the second where the panel listen to the parents.

In our case the panel tripped up the school representative several times and objected to the fact they expected my kids to travel 20 miles a day and through it out, we never even got to the second stage haha. And so my kids can now go to the local school, which incidently is a 2 minute walk away.

The statistic's for refusal after an appeal are very low and most are successful..so i'm told by a member of the education commitee.

Hope this is of some help, to any of you worrying over it
Old Aug 14th 2008, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

peanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nice
Default Re: Just returned from Appealing for school places.

I cant even get in touch with my school of choice at the moment because of the school hols. Hopefully I will have a reply sooner rather than later as we are due to fly out on the 6th and we dont even have a school to attend.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 1:05 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Thanks for that. Where are you in UK?
Old Aug 15th 2008, 1:52 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sans
I know their are afew of you out there, that are worrying about getting your kids in the local school of your choice. I have just returned from having to appeal for my kids to be accepted at our local school.

And we won the appeal, i got myself all worked up and needn't have In my case it was a breeze..........

Their was a panel of 3 independents and 1 person representing the schools.
Its supposed to be done in 2 parts, the first part where the school representative says why they have been refused and the second where the panel listen to the parents.

In our case the panel tripped up the school representative several times and objected to the fact they expected my kids to travel 20 miles a day and through it out, we never even got to the second stage haha. And so my kids can now go to the local school, which incidently is a 2 minute walk away.

The statistic's for refusal after an appeal are very low and most are successful..so i'm told by a member of the education commitee.

Hope this is of some help, to any of you worrying over it
I have been informed the same by the High School my sons wants to attend, they hae been really wonderful and so has the college my older son is to attend, they have even phoned me here in Aus to go through his A level choices and arrange a personnel time/date to meet his teachers now how lovely/nice/kind and helpful is that especially as he is going on his own (gulp...boy have I shed bucket loads of tears over this)until we sell our home.......
good luck and try not to worry to much to anyone else going through the same and thank you for your info. it does help.
good luck and 2 mins walk away..you lucky thing!!!!!
Old Aug 15th 2008, 10:13 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peanut21
I cant even get in touch with my school of choice at the moment because of the school hols. Hopefully I will have a reply sooner rather than later as we are due to fly out on the 6th and we dont even have a school to attend.
Here in nrth/Lincolnshire the schools wont deal with you, they will just pass you on to the education department that deals with new admissions. If the school of your choice is full, they will offer you the next nearest with room.

If you dont approve then you have to appeal against their decision, they only allow you to appeal once...............Good Luck
Old Aug 15th 2008, 10:14 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Thanks for that. Where are you in UK?
North Lincolnshire
Old Aug 15th 2008, 10:17 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

Originally Posted by brits1
I have been informed the same by the High School my sons wants to attend, they hae been really wonderful and so has the college my older son is to attend, they have even phoned me here in Aus to go through his A level choices and arrange a personnel time/date to meet his teachers now how lovely/nice/kind and helpful is that especially as he is going on his own (gulp...boy have I shed bucket loads of tears over this)until we sell our home.......
good luck and try not to worry to much to anyone else going through the same and thank you for your info. it does help.
good luck and 2 mins walk away..you lucky thing!!!!!
That must of taken alot of worry out of it for you I was expecting a fight on my hands lols and got myself all rev'd up And the panel couldn't of been nicer..............Thankfully