Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Just returned from Appealing for school places.

Just returned from Appealing for school places.

Old Aug 14th 2008, 3:24 pm
  #1  
Sloopy Frickenbutt
Thread Starter
 
sans's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Its good ere Honest........
Posts: 5,225
sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Just returned from Appealing for school places.

I know their are afew of you out there, that are worrying about getting your kids in the local school of your choice. I have just returned from having to appeal for my kids to be accepted at our local school.

And we won the appeal, i got myself all worked up and needn't have In my case it was a breeze..........

Their was a panel of 3 independents and 1 person representing the schools.
Its supposed to be done in 2 parts, the first part where the school representative says why they have been refused and the second where the panel listen to the parents.

In our case the panel tripped up the school representative several times and objected to the fact they expected my kids to travel 20 miles a day and through it out, we never even got to the second stage haha. And so my kids can now go to the local school, which incidently is a 2 minute walk away.

The statistic's for refusal after an appeal are very low and most are successful..so i'm told by a member of the education commitee.

Hope this is of some help, to any of you worrying over it
sans is offline  
Old Aug 14th 2008, 11:52 pm
  #2  
Forum Regular
 
peanut21's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Tallebudgera its FOR SALE on expats you know!
Posts: 58
peanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nice
Default Re: Just returned from Appealing for school places.

I cant even get in touch with my school of choice at the moment because of the school hols. Hopefully I will have a reply sooner rather than later as we are due to fly out on the 6th and we dont even have a school to attend.
peanut21 is offline  
Old Aug 15th 2008, 2:05 am
  #3  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 8,913
Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: Just returned from Appealing for school places.

Thanks for that. Where are you in UK?
Nu-Shooz is offline  
Old Aug 15th 2008, 2:52 am
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: England
Posts: 3,573
brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just returned from Appealing for school places.

Originally Posted by sans View Post
I know their are afew of you out there, that are worrying about getting your kids in the local school of your choice. I have just returned from having to appeal for my kids to be accepted at our local school.

And we won the appeal, i got myself all worked up and needn't have In my case it was a breeze..........

Their was a panel of 3 independents and 1 person representing the schools.
Its supposed to be done in 2 parts, the first part where the school representative says why they have been refused and the second where the panel listen to the parents.

In our case the panel tripped up the school representative several times and objected to the fact they expected my kids to travel 20 miles a day and through it out, we never even got to the second stage haha. And so my kids can now go to the local school, which incidently is a 2 minute walk away.

The statistic's for refusal after an appeal are very low and most are successful..so i'm told by a member of the education commitee.

Hope this is of some help, to any of you worrying over it
I have been informed the same by the High School my sons wants to attend, they hae been really wonderful and so has the college my older son is to attend, they have even phoned me here in Aus to go through his A level choices and arrange a personnel time/date to meet his teachers now how lovely/nice/kind and helpful is that especially as he is going on his own (gulp...boy have I shed bucket loads of tears over this)until we sell our home.......
good luck and try not to worry to much to anyone else going through the same and thank you for your info. it does help.
good luck and 2 mins walk away..you lucky thing!!!!!
brits1 is offline  
Old Aug 15th 2008, 11:13 am
  #5  
Sloopy Frickenbutt
Thread Starter
 
sans's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Its good ere Honest........
Posts: 5,225
sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just returned from Appealing for school places.

Originally Posted by peanut21 View Post
I cant even get in touch with my school of choice at the moment because of the school hols. Hopefully I will have a reply sooner rather than later as we are due to fly out on the 6th and we dont even have a school to attend.
Here in nrth/Lincolnshire the schools wont deal with you, they will just pass you on to the education department that deals with new admissions. If the school of your choice is full, they will offer you the next nearest with room.

If you dont approve then you have to appeal against their decision, they only allow you to appeal once...............Good Luck
sans is offline  
Old Aug 15th 2008, 11:14 am
  #6  
Sloopy Frickenbutt
Thread Starter
 
sans's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Its good ere Honest........
Posts: 5,225
sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just returned from Appealing for school places.

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz View Post
Thanks for that. Where are you in UK?
North Lincolnshire
sans is offline  
Old Aug 15th 2008, 11:17 am
  #7  
Sloopy Frickenbutt
Thread Starter
 
sans's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Its good ere Honest........
Posts: 5,225
sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just returned from Appealing for school places.

Originally Posted by brits1 View Post
I have been informed the same by the High School my sons wants to attend, they hae been really wonderful and so has the college my older son is to attend, they have even phoned me here in Aus to go through his A level choices and arrange a personnel time/date to meet his teachers now how lovely/nice/kind and helpful is that especially as he is going on his own (gulp...boy have I shed bucket loads of tears over this)until we sell our home.......
good luck and try not to worry to much to anyone else going through the same and thank you for your info. it does help.
good luck and 2 mins walk away..you lucky thing!!!!!
That must of taken alot of worry out of it for you I was expecting a fight on my hands lols and got myself all rev'd up And the panel couldn't of been nicer..............Thankfully
sans is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.