Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Another money transfer thread - help please (US to UK)

Another money transfer thread - help please (US to UK)

Old Aug 13th 2008, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

wtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond repute
Default Another money transfer thread - help please (US to UK)

Hi,

I read through the threads I could find on transferring money from US to UK and decided to set up a UKForex/Transferz account.

During the phone account setup I was told that I have to wire money to the NY bank of Transferz to buy the currency. That pretty much defeats the object of the account since my bank (Chase) charges US$45 for a wire. Apparently you can't do online transfers to an account you don't own.

The agent suggested an ING Electric Orange account that allows payment via "Electric checks".

Anyone tell me how they pay Transferz without incurring a wire fee? Or other suggested methods? I have US Chase and HSBC online accounts and a UK Barclays account. I can transfer from the Barclays account to other UK accounts OK.

It's not going to be a lot of money transferred

Ta
Old Aug 15th 2008, 1:24 am
BE Enthusiast

SirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud of
Default Re: Another money transfer thread - help please (US to UK)

Originally Posted by wtkp0u
Hi,

I read through the threads I could find on transferring money from US to UK and decided to set up a UKForex/Transferz account.

During the phone account setup I was told that I have to wire money to the NY bank of Transferz to buy the currency. That pretty much defeats the object of the account since my bank (Chase) charges US$45 for a wire. Apparently you can't do online transfers to an account you don't own.

The agent suggested an ING Electric Orange account that allows payment via "Electric checks".

Anyone tell me how they pay Transferz without incurring a wire fee? Or other suggested methods? I have US Chase and HSBC online accounts and a UK Barclays account. I can transfer from the Barclays account to other UK accounts OK.

It's not going to be a lot of money transferred

Ta
Don't know af any cheap way - but I am lucky - have a Bank of America checking account - with an ATM card. My sister has the ATM card in the UK and she uses it at any Barclays ATM FREE of charge - no fee, no surcharge on the ROE...
Old Aug 15th 2008, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SirSteveUK
Don't know af any cheap way - but I am lucky - have a Bank of America checking account - with an ATM card. My sister has the ATM card in the UK and she uses it at any Barclays ATM FREE of charge - no fee, no surcharge on the ROE...
There are no fees but there is a margin in the F/X rate - but that is true of all cards/ FX transactions - BOA and Barclays is a good arrangement though
Old Aug 15th 2008, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

wtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SirSteveUK
Nice! That's a simple arrangement. Wonder if I can get another ATM card. Of course I hope you have a limit on withdrawals