Job situation

Old Aug 27th 2010, 8:39 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job situation

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
But Conservatives are always going to lay into the public sector, whether the money is there or not.
That might be true, and I'm not a staunch Laborite or Conservative (in fact, on paper, I preferred the philosophy of the LibDems in the last election - though their strategy was a bit lacking in substance).

I just get a little tired of political grandstanding as soon as someone new gets into government. It doesn't matter who is in government at the moment, we have to make cutbacks somewhere in order to deal with all the debt that is the legacy of the last 5-10 years.

Hey, did you do something different with your hair?
Old Aug 28th 2010, 4:52 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pennylessinindia
are you able to PM the name of the company? I know there is no adverts on site
I wrote to this person privately and am yet to get a reply. Wish they would log on again and let us have more information.
Old Aug 28th 2010, 5:27 am
BE Forum Addict

geeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
I wrote to this person privately and am yet to get a reply. Wish they would log on again and let us have more information.
I was kinda hoping she'd come back with more info.
Old Aug 28th 2010, 1:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving

Hey, did you do something different with your hair?
Thanks for noticing.
Old Aug 28th 2010, 9:23 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

The Sunday Times had an article on the front page today about how 25% of the 2009 graduating teachers in Scotland have no job to go to, and the same for the previous year's graduates. In Scotland, graduating teachers are guaranteed a probationary job for one year so they can become fully qualified, but it seems they trained more teachers than were needed. It costs £26,000 per teacher for every probationer who was put into "a job that didn't exist", so to speak (i.e., a job that was created so they'd have somewhere to do their probationary year).

As earlier posters have said, you have to think positively, but that in itself is not enough. I think realistically looking at the situation gives you the motivation to make absolutely sure your applications are well-written, you prepare well for your interview, etc. You have to stand above the crowd - having a positive attitude definitely helps (speaking as someone who has served on dozens of interview panels), but do your homework, too.
Old Aug 28th 2010, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clairemoir
well I say come home! I work as a recruiter in devon and I am crying out for good candidates to fill a wide variety of positions! From production managers to sales administrators and sales execs!
Thats sound like a great idea, would love to live in Devon, so come on give us the scoop
Old Aug 29th 2010, 1:31 am
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Thats sound like a great idea, would love to live in Devon, so come on give us the scoop
I think many of us our waiting for the scoop!!
Old Aug 29th 2010, 2:00 am
A Cockney Floridian

Location: Originally-Leyton E10,London, then Harlow new town, Essex, and eventually ended up in Orlando area
callowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs up Re: Job situation

Originally Posted by clairemoir
well I say come home! I work as a recruiter in devon and I am crying out for good candidates to fill a wide variety of positions! From production managers to sales administrators and sales execs!
might need to call you next july/aug ! we are moving home and I will be looking for a job in I.T. -right now Im a manager of technology for a very large software company.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 7:54 pm
Wub
Forum Regular

Wub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by LisaP
Compared to other countries (for instance Greece, where I live) the UK economy is extremely healthy and there are lots of job opportunities. I do understand that if you're unemployed through no fault of your own, then life isn't easy. But here, no job = no healthcare, no money. If you don't have a job here, you starve on the streets.

I've lived through three UK recessions. Basically, they're all the same. Times are hard for a while but then they pass. If you're prepared to work in a factory, or as a care assistant or a cleaner, then you'll work.

Twenty years I worked in the UK and I was never unemployed, I have good skills and good references.

I don't know what I will find when we return to UK in the winter, but I check job websites every day and there are currently around 30 jobs in my area that I would apply for; if I was there. Which is 30 more than here.
I think you've expressed here what many of us think - sometimes, you just have to meet the challenges of unemployment head on. In the last recession (in the 90's) I ended up on less hours and had to supplement my income by working weekends in a minimum wage job - it kept a roof over our heads.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 8:10 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by Wub
I think you've expressed here what many of us think - sometimes, you just have to meet the challenges of unemployment head on. In the last recession (in the 90's) I ended up on less hours and had to supplement my income by working weekends in a minimum wage job - it kept a roof over our heads.
Yes, I've read and seen (on TV) a lot of stories of people working shorter weeks, taking pay freezes or pay cuts, having to take holidays at set times (so a company could shut down completely while everyone takes their hols, and save money), etc. In most cases, people accept it because the alternative is to decide which of them will lose their job.

My union on the other hand is still in histrionics about the "derisory" pay rise of 0.5% offered by the employer's organisation - personally, I think the union should just get over it and realise things need to be different for a year or two so we can start to get through this. When I see people losing their jobs (my neighbour was made redundant several months ago and is still unemployed) I'm just grateful to have a job.

Last edited by dunroving; Aug 29th 2010 at 8:13 pm.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 1:08 am
Just Joined

Sergia is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum. I am Spanish but was living in the UK for 10 years. I worked there as a languages qualified teacher teaching Spanish and French. My husband (he is British) and myself moved to Spain a the beginning of 2009. We are thinking to move back to the UK again as jobs in Spain are not easy to find especially for me. Will I be able to go back into teaching. I have also been teaching in Spain but I have been out of work for few months. We have a house in the northeast so we will be moving there. But I am very concerned I cannot find a job.
Thanks
Old Sep 10th 2010, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Yes, I've read and seen (on TV) a lot of stories of people working shorter weeks, taking pay freezes or pay cuts, having to take holidays at set times (so a company could shut down completely while everyone takes their hols, and save money), etc. In most cases, people accept it because the alternative is to decide which of them will lose their job.

My union on the other hand is still in histrionics about the "derisory" pay rise of 0.5% offered by the employer's organisation - personally, I think the union should just get over it and realise things need to be different for a year or two so we can start to get through this. When I see people losing their jobs (my neighbour was made redundant several months ago and is still unemployed) I'm just grateful to have a job.
Dunrovin: Having been on the various panels, attempting to negotiate for pay rises ( I worked for the M.O.D.) Why do you not convey those thoughts and ideas, to your Union, at this time? regards dontheturner.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 7:36 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Dunrovin: Having been on the various panels, attempting to negotiate for pay rises ( I worked for the M.O.D.) Why do you not convey those thoughts and ideas, to your Union, at this time? regards dontheturner.
Maybe he did. Why does anyone need a union these days, management is better at looking after the workforce. Unions were just destructive.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 7:43 am
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by dontheturner
I did. They balloted union members and I voted against industrial action in support of a pay rise. From the results (that were sent to us just last Wednesday), so did about 52.5% of all voters, so the union got the message.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 8:04 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

I did. They balloted union members and I voted against industrial action in support of a pay rise. From the results (that were sent to us just last Wednesday), so did about 52.5% of all voters, so the union got the message.
qed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.