Wikiposts

Job situation

Old Aug 17th 2010, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

MNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really nice
Angry Job situation

I am wondering if those of you who are wishing to return to the UK in the next year are aware of all the promised cuts in the UK and the inevitable unemployment that will follow. I don't want to be the voice of doom, but getting a job over the next (at least a) year will be very very difficult, in my view. The public sector is experiencing massive cuts in police, NHS jobs (most only open to current NHS employees where we live), councils (massive cuts), social services etc etc. Their budgets are being sliced severely. This will have a knock on effect for the private sector, as public sector workers try to get work in the private sector when they lose their jobs.

I don't know how much UK news people in Canada, USA, Australia etc can read, but it truly is a scary situation here if you have no job. I think it will be worse than when the recession first started and only the private sector seemed to be affected.

Please don't be put off by this, but just a heads up, in case you are thinking of coming home and think you will easily find a job (I hope you will be able to though)

MN
Old Aug 18th 2010, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

clairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant future
Default Re: Job situation

well I say come home! I work as a recruiter in devon and I am crying out for good candidates to fill a wide variety of positions! From production managers to sales administrators and sales execs!
Old Aug 18th 2010, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

geeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clairemoir
well I say come home! I work as a recruiter in devon and I am crying out for good candidates to fill a wide variety of positions! From production managers to sales administrators and sales execs!
Where?

I've been looking and I'm scared to death. Can't find much at all!
Old Aug 18th 2010, 1:52 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Oh that sounds great, I've never been to Devon but it looks lovely on Telly
Old Aug 18th 2010, 1:54 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geeandtee
Where?

I've been looking and I'm scared to death. Can't find much at all!
If you go here and type in the name of the town you want to be in and the word jobs, then the next page it goes to, in small letters below the search line it'll say searches now available All jobs in (whatever place you picked) click that you'll have pages of jobs to look at.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 2:25 am
Forum Regular

MNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really nice

I don't think Devon is representative of most of the rest of the country if you are crying out for good candidates. It is an expensive place to buy a house if you want something nice and a long way away if you are coming home to be close to relatives and they don't live in the south west. Also, I am not talking about this moment, I am talking over the next year, I don't think things have started rolling yet as far as public sector job cuts.

Last edited by MNandMN; Aug 18th 2010 at 2:29 am. Reason: forgot to add something!
Old Aug 18th 2010, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

geeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
If you go here and type in the name of the town you want to be in and the word jobs, then the next page it goes to, in small letters below the search line it'll say searches now available All jobs in (whatever place you picked) click that you'll have pages of jobs to look at.
Thank you, great link.

The anticipated public sector job cuts are reflected now, by the fact that most public sector jobs are being advertised with fixed term contracts.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 5:18 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geeandtee
Thank you, great link.

The anticipated public sector job cuts are reflected now, by the fact that most public sector jobs are being advertised with fixed term contracts.
Yes try to sell that to the mortgage loaner......
Old Aug 18th 2010, 5:43 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I have my own business and have clients in both the UK and the US, so the job situation doesn't affect my decision about moving, but I really feel for those who are struggling.

This intense focus on cutting govt. spending right at the time when we need it the most scares me. I know some economists here think the UK's cuts are going to put a drag on the global economy just as it was showing a few signs of life.

That said, I don't think people should make decisions about where to live based on doom and gloom predictions. Things are tough in most places and at least in the UK when you lose your job you still have health care. (well, for now at least!)
Old Aug 26th 2010, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Job situation

we moved back to the UK in Jan 2010 my whole career has been in public sector we located where we previously lived in SW I searched for 6 months for a role widening my field to anything in below Birmingham every job i went for already had a name on the post namely an internal candiadte and the interview was just a formaility. The level of people searching for the roles makes it very competitive and because I had been out of the cou ntry 18 months i did not have the up to date knowledge etc etc, I did reduce my expectations of salary, position etc with no avail needless to say I have now left the UK for employment I would severly recommend you find employment before your return even if this means coming over for interviews etc as UK firms are not keen on Skype or teleconferencing!
Old Aug 26th 2010, 10:40 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Just from my experience of academia, we have lost a stack of people through early retirement and voluntary redundancy, and they won't be replaced. The campus I am on is down to almost 50% of the staff numbers it had just 12-24 months ago. The university hierarchy saw the economic writing on the wall a couple of years ago and are now harking on about working more efficiently, economies of scale, etc., but it boils down to fewer people doing the same workload with fewer resources than just 2-3 years ago.

I think we will feel the pain over the next 12 months, job-wise, when what is currently "talk" becomes reality of job cuts.

Having said all that, if you are very good and very persistent, and willing to be flexible/compromise, there are jobs to be had. The lackadaisical work ethic in many industries means that some employers will snatch up applicants who clearly want to work hard, be reliable, etc.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 10:56 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

What jobs are becoming available are min wage i.e £5.93/hr as employers know they will fill the posts at that rate. It is also amazing at some of the higher spec posts falling under the same category as employers know they have recently qualified Uni graduates desperate to gain work experience at any price. In the city desperate areas unscrupulous employers know they do not even have to offer the min wage....
Old Aug 26th 2010, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of
Red face Re: Job situation

Originally Posted by MNandMN
I am wondering if those of you who are wishing to return to the UK in the next year are aware of all the promised cuts in the UK and the inevitable unemployment that will follow. I don't want to be the voice of doom, but getting a job over the next (at least a) year will be very very difficult, in my view. The public sector is experiencing massive cuts in police, NHS jobs (most only open to current NHS employees where we live), councils (massive cuts), social services etc etc. Their budgets are being sliced severely. This will have a knock on effect for the private sector, as public sector workers try to get work in the private sector when they lose their jobs.

I don't know how much UK news people in Canada, USA, Australia etc can read, but it truly is a scary situation here if you have no job. I think it will be worse than when the recession first started and only the private sector seemed to be affected.

Please don't be put off by this, but just a heads up, in case you are thinking of coming home and think you will easily find a job (I hope you will be able to though)

MN
Oh Dear! Oh Dear! I hate to be political, but I think all this happened when the Tories gained power the last time! - Miners all lost their jobs , Steel works all closed down. Good Old Maggie! - Don't worry - everyone says this government alliance will not last a year!
Old Aug 27th 2010, 12:10 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

My brother who lives in the north of England was unemployed for a few months after his company moved his work to India, but he has now found another job with better pay.

Someone posted in another thread about his move home and he found a job right away. It's not all minimum wage jobs and doom and gloom. But in my experience, the one sure way to make things turn out badly is to expect the worst.

Man, when I go home, I know that my hardest struggle is going to be keeping my positive outlook while surrounded by my countrymen
Old Aug 27th 2010, 12:32 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Why does the current situation get blamed on the Con-Dems (what a name!) and the past Conservative government? The Democrats in the States are getting the blame, too. The economy didn't get screwed up the day after the election ... it's been a disaster in the making for a lot more years than that. You can't pay millions of public sector workers from a budget pot that's been over-spent for the last 10 years.

You can talk fancy macroeconomics all you want, but some principles are pretty basic. At some point, you have to stop spending more money than you are generating ... so what's it to be? NHS? Roads? Jobs? Welfare benefits? ("None of the above" is not a mathematically feasible answer).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.