Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Its not all doom and gloom.......

Its not all doom and gloom.......

Old Nov 27th 2008, 9:48 am
  #16  
Banned
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,769
cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Its not all doom and gloom.......

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum View Post
Just heard more good news on Sky news UK... B&Q announced profits of £176 million, also a travel co had £46million profits, so people are still going on holiday! (my daughter being one of them on Saturday)

I reckon we should designate this thread to good UK news just to counter balance all the crap!
Absolutely on the ball. Got it in one. Brilliant.
cricket1again is offline  
Old Nov 27th 2008, 10:22 am
  #17  
Sloopy Frickenbutt
Thread Starter
 
sans's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Its good ere Honest........
Posts: 5,225
sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Its not all doom and gloom.......

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum View Post
Just heard more good news on Sky news UK... B&Q announced profits of £176 million, also a travel co had £46million profits, so people are still going on holiday! (my daughter being one of them on Saturday)

I reckon we should designate this thread to good UK news just to counter balance all the crap!
Well Flea that was what i was hoping for ...........I was getting so fed up with reading people slagging it off....

When you move abroad...people say its only what you make of it, you have to try harder blah de blah So why shouldn't that also apply on returning. Do people really think they can just walk back in and everything will be perfect??? And when they find out its not perfect and its not that easy, to just walk back in they pull it to pieces.....

UPS!!! Was starting to rant then lols
sans is offline  
Old Nov 27th 2008, 10:34 am
  #18  
I don't give a damn
 
Fleaflyfloflum's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: In the arms of my family. Heaven...
Posts: 4,980
Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Its not all doom and gloom.......

Originally Posted by sans View Post
Well Flea that was what i was hoping for ...........I was getting so fed up with reading people slagging it off....

When you move abroad...people say its only what you make of it, you have to try harder blah de blah So why shouldn't that also apply on returning. Do people really think they can just walk back in and everything will be perfect??? And when they find out its not perfect and its not that easy, to just walk back in they pull it to pieces.....

UPS!!! Was starting to rant then lols
Rant all you want

What I dont understand is when a person says they are unhappy living in the area they are in and automatically think they need to change countries!!
On my two trips back in the last year, i realised i didnt want to live where i had originally come from in UK. It was an urban London suburb. Maybe my age is catching up with me, but i wanted to be in a quieter place, so, when i went to stay with my daughter in rural Essex, I was smitten within a week! Absolutely perfect for us. A quiet pace, yet 45mins drive from Lakeside mall and 45mins train ride to central London!. I could never give the London buzz up for good, so dipping in and out of it from there is exaxctly what i need.

One of the great things about UK is the huge diversity of lifestyles you can choose from. Maybe a bit more work into searching your own country would be a lot less hassle than changing hemispheres!
Fleaflyfloflum is offline  
Old Nov 27th 2008, 10:53 am
  #19  
Sloopy Frickenbutt
Thread Starter
 
sans's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Its good ere Honest........
Posts: 5,225
sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Its not all doom and gloom.......

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum View Post
Rant all you want

What I dont understand is when a person says they are unhappy living in the area they are in and automatically think they need to change countries!!
On my two trips back in the last year, i realised i didnt want to live where i had originally come from in UK. It was an urban London suburb. Maybe my age is catching up with me, but i wanted to be in a quieter place, so, when i went to stay with my daughter in rural Essex, I was smitten within a week! Absolutely perfect for us. A quiet pace, yet 45mins drive from Lakeside mall and 45mins train ride to central London!. I could never give the London buzz up for good, so dipping in and out of it from there is exaxctly what i need.

One of the great things about UK is the huge diversity of lifestyles you can choose from. Maybe a bit more work into searching your own country would be a lot less hassle than changing hemispheres!
We was only away from the UK for 14 mths, which is know time in the big scheme of things...........But it was long enough to crush us financially and mentally
And long enough for us to realise it was our biggest mistake yet

But in a strange way it was the best thing too We have come back with different eye's and a different attitude and so appreciate now everything here, we took for granted or ignored before we left.
Its almost as if we have found contentment "WOW"
sans is offline  
Old Nov 27th 2008, 11:02 am
  #20  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 8,913
Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: Its not all doom and gloom.......

Hey, you two read my mind, telepathic or what

Keep it up, it's so refreshing
Nu-Shooz is offline  
Old Nov 27th 2008, 11:11 am
  #21  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 912
backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Its not all doom and gloom.......

Britain is one of the top tourist destinations in the world. The fact that millions of people from almost everywhere on the planet want to visit UK surely must mean it's not a bad place to live! Of course all the things tourists go to see and do are also available for people living in Britain.

Britain also has many of the worlds top scientists and business leaders, and even with the current problems still has one of the stronger economies in the world.
backagen is offline  
Old Nov 27th 2008, 11:19 am
  #22  
Banned
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,769
cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Its not all doom and gloom.......

It also has an enormous, undeniable history of remaining unbeatable.
cricket1again is offline  
Old Nov 27th 2008, 11:27 am
  #23  
Sloopy Frickenbutt
Thread Starter
 
sans's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Its good ere Honest........
Posts: 5,225
sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Its not all doom and gloom.......

Am i sensing some pride coming out in this thread for our Country
Yay!!! Its making me smile..in fact i'm positively beaming
sans is offline  
Old Nov 27th 2008, 11:50 am
  #24  
Banned
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,769
cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Its not all doom and gloom.......

It's funny isn't it? In the US, they make this big thing about proud to be American, which is nice. And in Australia they do the same. Yet in England, we're not taught to be proud, it's almost like it's not to be talked about. Probably an attitude recently put forward by the liberals that we should hide our right to be proud in order to preserve the need to be PC.
Wasted on me. I am proud to be a Brit.
cricket1again is offline  
Old Nov 27th 2008, 11:57 am
  #25  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 15,019
TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Its not all doom and gloom.......

Originally Posted by cricket1 View Post
It's funny isn't it? In the US, they make this big thing about proud to be American, which is nice. And in Australia they do the same. Yet in England, we're not taught to be proud, it's almost like it's not to be talked about. Probably an attitude recently put forward by the liberals that we should hide our right to be proud in order to preserve the need to be PC.
Wasted on me. I am proud to be a Brit.
and count me in
TruBrit is offline  
Old Nov 27th 2008, 12:21 pm
  #26  
Sloopy Frickenbutt
Thread Starter
 
sans's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Its good ere Honest........
Posts: 5,225
sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Its not all doom and gloom.......

Originally Posted by TruBrit View Post
and count me in
I am very proud and probably always have been.....But again it was something that didn't really show its face, until i wasn't here

And this will probably sound very stupid or wishy washy But when i was away, i felt very guilty almost as if i was in betrayal...if that makes any sense and when ever anything British came up on the TV i would well up inside and get goosepumps.

My street creds gone now
sans is offline  
Old Nov 27th 2008, 12:23 pm
  #27  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 74
bubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Its not all doom and gloom.......

you can count me in as i am proud to be a Brit and living in Oz has made me realise that!I am having to defend it every day as i am on trail for wanting to go back and live there!i cannot wait to see that lovely countryside ,lovely villages and country pubs.
I am looking forward to a sense of community which is lacking where i live. we fly on the 22 dec so we will be home for xmas so cannot wait
bubbles08 is offline  
Old Nov 27th 2008, 12:34 pm
  #28  
Sloopy Frickenbutt
Thread Starter
 
sans's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Its good ere Honest........
Posts: 5,225
sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Its not all doom and gloom.......

Originally Posted by bubbles08 View Post
you can count me in as i am proud to be a Brit and living in Oz has made me realise that!I am having to defend it every day as i am on trail for wanting to go back and live there!i cannot wait to see that lovely countryside ,lovely villages and country pubs.
I am looking forward to a sense of community which is lacking where i live. we fly on the 22 dec so we will be home for xmas so cannot wait
The only people that had ago at us for coming home was ex-pats
The Canadians either didn't care or they wished us well....

Infact when we first arrived in Canada afew Canadians were quite baffled as to why we wanted to leave the UK to live there....

bubbles have a great xmas Loads of sales on here already
sans is offline  
Old Nov 27th 2008, 12:36 pm
  #29  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 15,019
TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Its not all doom and gloom.......

Originally Posted by sans View Post
The only people that had ago at us for coming home was ex-pats
well yeah, they're jealous, envious probably...moaning bloody brits
TruBrit is offline  
Old Nov 27th 2008, 12:38 pm
  #30  
Sloopy Frickenbutt
Thread Starter
 
sans's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Its good ere Honest........
Posts: 5,225
sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Its not all doom and gloom.......

Originally Posted by TruBrit View Post
well yeah, they're jealous, envious probably...moaning bloody brits
Brits dont moan They just speak their minds haha
sans is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.