British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Its not all doom and gloom....... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/its-not-all-doom-gloom-575325/)

sans Nov 26th 2008 12:52 pm

Its not all doom and gloom.......

Just thought i would post this, just to show people its not all bad ;) Apparently their will be 10.000 jobs up for grabs.

http://www.thisisscunthorpe.co.uk/ne...l/article.html

kevin747 Nov 26th 2008 1:15 pm

Re: Its not all doom and gloom.......

Originally Posted by sans (Post 7011665)
Just thought i would post this, just to show people its not all bad ;) Apparently their will be 10.000 jobs up for grabs.

My aunt used to live there .It was utterly depressing and I was dragged on holiday with my parents aged 15.I remember the red brick houses and a particularly rancid Chinese takeaway.

I wanted to go to Blackpool

sans Nov 26th 2008 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by kevin747 (Post 7011732)
My aunt used to live there .It was utterly depressing and I was dragged on holiday with my parents aged 15.I remember the red brick houses and a particularly rancid Chinese takeaway.

I wanted to go to Blackpool

Use to live where???

kevin747 Nov 26th 2008 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by sans (Post 7011738)
Use to live where???

Porter Street

sans Nov 26th 2008 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by kevin747 (Post 7011784)
Porter Street

Is that Scunthorpe just off Frodingham rd ??? If so i know it well :)
I would dare say most kids would rather go to Blackpool including me.....

But the thread wasn't about Scunthorpe it was the advert on jobs :)

kevin747 Nov 26th 2008 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by sans (Post 7011845)

Sorry,I couldn't find one the was about going off in a tangent

cricket1again Nov 26th 2008 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by sans (Post 7011665)

Good post sans.:) There is lots of upbeat and positive news out there. Unfortunately it doesn't make headline grabbing news but it's there if you look for it.

sans Nov 26th 2008 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by cricket1 (Post 7013298)
Good post sans.:) There is lots of upbeat and positive news out there. Unfortunately it doesn't make headline grabbing news but it's there if you look for it.

Well their is so much negetivity being spread, i just thought i'd post to say its not all bad.....And if anyone has bothered to look their is more on that same page with drax and 2 new power plants being built.
And all this is just in my area........My OH has just priced a job up in Kings-lynn for a German company, that are planning on building a massive paper plant there.

cricket1again Nov 26th 2008 9:54 pm

Very true. The important thing to draw from is that since 412AD and after the Romans ran off to defend Europe and the Germans took over, the UK has centuries of established wealth and has gone through many crisises and recessions.
It's still here.:)

Nu-Shooz Nov 27th 2008 12:20 am

Originally Posted by sans (Post 7013343)
Well their is so much negetivity being spread, i just thought i'd post to say its not all bad.....And if anyone has bothered to look their is more on that same page with drax and 2 new power plants being built.
And all this is just in my area........My OH has just priced a job up in Kings-lynn for a German company, that are planning on building a massive paper plant there.

Yeah it sure is not all doom and gloom. Speaking to my friends in UK who say their own businesses are reaping from the recession. It depends what business you are in and our own business thrieves in a recession.
For us going back to UK in a recession is good for us. Business and property wise. We need to make money there that we have lost in OZ.

kevin747 Nov 27th 2008 4:18 am

I just want to get back to family ,friends and my home abd I'll be happy

First things first

Fleaflyfloflum Nov 27th 2008 4:39 am

I'll also second what Sans and Nu Shooz said.
I know OH is in psych nursing, but they seem to have plenty of jobs going at the moment. Maybe all these fat cat bankers have gone barmy! :eek:

Life does still go on. There are over 60 million people in UK. Not all are skint and not all are out of work, so there is money to be made.
Also, we have a good safety net welfare system in UK. We are lucky we are not Americans!

THE TURNER CLAN Nov 27th 2008 7:52 am

Originally Posted by sans (Post 7011845)

Know Scunthorpe well too, we used to live in Belton 10 mins away, still have family who live in sunny scunny though.

Lisa

backagen Nov 27th 2008 7:55 am

Petrol's cheaper than it's been for years, houses are too (which is GOOD news if you're looking to buy one), and with cheaper petrol comes consumer goods because the costs of transporting them to stores and warehouses is lower.

It's only doom and gloom if you're unfortunate enough to be desperately trying to sell a house in UK, or if you're unfortunate enough to loose your job. That being said, the unemployment rate is still extremely low within a longer term perspective.

Not sure what it is in UK right now, but here it's about 5% and there are predictions it will increase to about 6% next year.

The way I look at it, that just means that unless you're in the bottom 6% of the population in terms of your skills and qualifications, then you'll be able to find a job!

Fleaflyfloflum Nov 27th 2008 8:25 am

Just heard more good news on Sky news UK... B&Q announced profits of £176 million, also a travel co had £46million profits, so people are still going on holiday! (my daughter being one of them on Saturday)

I reckon we should designate this thread to good UK news just to counter balance all the crap!