Irene

Old Aug 27th 2011, 2:33 pm
  #76  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: CHELTENHAM, Gloucestershire, England
Posts: 1,494
Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Irene

I make a spare time study of the UK climate and the weather patterns of this country, with especial interest in any kind of extreme weather events which do take place here from time to time. The past two winters in the UK were notably colder and snowier than usual, indicating some kind of downward trend in winter temperatures in much of Europe.

In view of current events in parts of the USA it's interesting to note that hurricane force winds are not unknown here in Britain. In Novermber 1703 over 4,000 people were killed when a hurricane swept over southern Britain, levelling trees and buildings by the many thousands.

In October 1987 a similar storm swept over the whole of England south and east of a line stretching from east Devon, through the south Midlands up to the Wash on the east coast. Millions of trees were felled and buildings either destroyed or badly damaged. A seaside pier on the Isle of Wight was swept away, others on the south coast badly damaged. Two men sleeping rough in Lincoln's Inn Fields in central London were killed by a falling tree. The town of Sevenoaks, in Kent, became Oneoak over night and six of the ancient oaks toppled like bowling alley pins. Ships were driven ashore in Sussex. 80% of woodland on the North and South Downs of Kent and Sussex were flattened. The huge glass panes of the doors on the west front of Chichester Cathedral were blown in, and it took workmen in the town three weeks to dispose of all the blown down trees which had lined streets and roads in the town.

The hurricane reached full force between midnight and 4am October 15/16, 1987. Early on the evening of the 15th a BBC TV weather forecaster commenced his slot by telling viwers: "Earlier today a woman rang up the BBC to say that a hurricane was on its way to the UK. Don't worry - there isn't!"

Six hours later the south coast and south east of England, the Home Counties and London, and most of East Anglia were savaged by force 12 winds which are officially of hurricane levels.

Amazingly the death toll during this storm was quite low due mainly to the fact that it took place mostly during the early hours of the morning.

The death toll during the Burns Day Storm of 25 January 1990 was much higher at it took place during the daytime, and the severe gales (not quite as strong as the 1987 hurricane) affected much of the UK. One of the severely injured casualties that day was an actor who played the part of a cafe owner in a TV series called "Allo! Allo!" - Gorden Kaye. He had a piece of wood driven into his forehead by the force of the winds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5dbN...eature=related
Lothianlad is offline  
Old Aug 27th 2011, 3:23 pm
  #77  
Bob
SUPER MODERATOR
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 91,482
Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Irene

I was impressed by the amount of stuff the MA state had set up last night in preparation for this, food/water supplies, national guards, all kinds...

Our electric company even called to inform us that we might be without paper, because we're listed with them as having small kids...nice gesture, but whoopy, without a generator, not much we can do about it

The inlaws bought a generator last night as it happens, they've been meaning to buy one for the last couple of months so finally did it, hoping to set it up today as they're not supposed to get hit till quite late where they are in Maine.

they got it more to keep the subpump going as they often lose power in bad rain and the basement floods a bit, but now they have a new furnace, that's a bit bigger, they don't want that getting touched
Bob is offline  
Old Aug 27th 2011, 3:28 pm
  #78  
WTF?
 
Leslie's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Homeostasis
Posts: 76,307
Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Irene

Fingers and toes crossed for everyone
Leslie is offline  
Old Aug 27th 2011, 3:37 pm
  #79  
BE Forum Addict
 
nethead's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Vermont
Posts: 3,264
nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Irene

Hope everyone in Va and NC area are safe, hearing of lots of flooding and damage in and around Aurora NC.
nethead is offline  
Old Aug 27th 2011, 3:43 pm
  #80  
Sursum corda
 
cindyabs's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Richmond Hill, GA USA
Posts: 38,846
cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Irene

Originally Posted by nethead View Post
Hope everyone in Va and NC area are safe, hearing of lots of flooding and damage in and around Aurora NC.
Last night on the Weather Channel they were discussing how much PA might be affected. The forecaster said that west of Altoona should be okay.
cindyabs is offline  
Old Aug 27th 2011, 3:47 pm
  #81  
BE Forum Addict
 
nethead's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Vermont
Posts: 3,264
nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Irene

Originally Posted by cindyabs View Post
Last night on the Weather Channel they were discussing how much PA might be affected. The forecaster said that west of Altoona should be okay.
We are south central PA (Harrisburg area) I think we're supposed to get quite a bit of rain so maybe more basement flooding...


ETA: just looked at a map and we're a bit East of Altoona :/

Last edited by nethead; Aug 27th 2011 at 5:01 pm.
nethead is offline  
Old Aug 27th 2011, 4:05 pm
  #82  
BE Forum Addict
 
mandpete's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,269
mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Irene

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
they got it more to keep the subpump going as they often lose power in bad rain and the basement floods a bit, but now they have a new furnace, that's a bit bigger, they don't want that getting touched
Oh no, I never even gave that a thought. We have a sump pump, which has never had to kick in, in our finished basement but don't have a generator in case of an outage. It's too late to get one now, the stores sold out of all 'emergency supplies' two days ago.
mandpete is offline  
Old Aug 27th 2011, 4:22 pm
  #83  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 47,114
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Irene

Originally Posted by Bob View Post

Our electric company even called to inform us that we might be without paper,
Well god knows we wouldn't want that to happen.


Good luck to those on the East Coast.



Last edited by Lion in Winter; Aug 27th 2011 at 4:26 pm.
Lion in Winter is offline  
Old Aug 27th 2011, 5:14 pm
  #84  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 79,159
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Irene

Just received a hurricane warning alert from our township...never had one before.
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Aug 27th 2011, 5:25 pm
  #85  
Septic Sprout
 
tonrob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Singapore
Posts: 7,975
tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Irene

Originally Posted by Lothianlad View Post
I make a spare time study of the UK climate and the weather patterns of this country, with especial interest in any kind of extreme weather events which do take place here from time to time. The past two winters in the UK were notably colder and snowier than usual, indicating some kind of downward trend in winter temperatures in much of Europe.

In view of current events in parts of the USA it's interesting to note that hurricane force winds are not unknown here in Britain. In Novermber 1703 over 4,000 people were killed when a hurricane swept over southern Britain, levelling trees and buildings by the many thousands.

In October 1987 a similar storm swept over the whole of England south and east of a line stretching from east Devon, through the south Midlands up to the Wash on the east coast. Millions of trees were felled and buildings either destroyed or badly damaged. A seaside pier on the Isle of Wight was swept away, others on the south coast badly damaged. Two men sleeping rough in Lincoln's Inn Fields in central London were killed by a falling tree. The town of Sevenoaks, in Kent, became Oneoak over night and six of the ancient oaks toppled like bowling alley pins. Ships were driven ashore in Sussex. 80% of woodland on the North and South Downs of Kent and Sussex were flattened. The huge glass panes of the doors on the west front of Chichester Cathedral were blown in, and it took workmen in the town three weeks to dispose of all the blown down trees which had lined streets and roads in the town.

The hurricane reached full force between midnight and 4am October 15/16, 1987. Early on the evening of the 15th a BBC TV weather forecaster commenced his slot by telling viwers: "Earlier today a woman rang up the BBC to say that a hurricane was on its way to the UK. Don't worry - there isn't!"

Six hours later the south coast and south east of England, the Home Counties and London, and most of East Anglia were savaged by force 12 winds which are officially of hurricane levels.

Amazingly the death toll during this storm was quite low due mainly to the fact that it took place mostly during the early hours of the morning.

The death toll during the Burns Day Storm of 25 January 1990 was much higher at it took place during the daytime, and the severe gales (not quite as strong as the 1987 hurricane) affected much of the UK. One of the severely injured casualties that day was an actor who played the part of a cafe owner in a TV series called "Allo! Allo!" - Gorden Kaye. He had a piece of wood driven into his forehead by the force of the winds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5dbN...eature=related
No one gives a shit you soft twat. Why not start your own thread entitled Drivel, and save everyone the excess finger ache of scrolling past all the irrelevant bollocks you type?
tonrob is offline  
Old Aug 27th 2011, 5:37 pm
  #86  
Yes, I know i'm awesome.
 
ljaw2002uk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 624
ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Irene

Originally Posted by tonrob View Post
No one gives a shit you soft twat. Why not start your own thread entitled Drivel, and save everyone the excess finger ache of scrolling past all the irrelevant bollocks you type?
I thought it was pretty interesting. Maybe it's something to do with your attention span, or the big words he used?
ljaw2002uk is offline  
Old Aug 27th 2011, 5:48 pm
  #87  
BE Forum Addict
 
mandpete's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,269
mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Irene

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Just received a hurricane warning alert from our township...never had one before.
Was it a siren going off? Apparently we have sirens in our township but have never heard them up to now. We did get hurricane warning emails from our township and power company yesterday.
mandpete is offline  
Old Aug 27th 2011, 6:02 pm
  #88  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 79,159
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Irene

Originally Posted by mandpete View Post
Was it a siren going off? Apparently we have sirens in our township but have never heard them up to now. We did get hurricane warning emails from our township and power company yesterday.
It was a phone and cyber alert. Just started raining here. Heard nothing from the power company but as Christie lives by me I'm hoping they'll see him OK.
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Aug 27th 2011, 6:05 pm
  #89  
Septic Sprout
 
tonrob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Singapore
Posts: 7,975
tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Irene

Originally Posted by ljaw2002uk View Post
I thought it was pretty interesting.
That figures.
tonrob is offline  
Old Aug 27th 2011, 6:17 pm
  #90  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 13,373
anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Irene

I don't get out of bed for anything less than a category 4.....
anotherlimey is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.