Irene

Old Aug 31st 2011, 4:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Irene

The friends in Newton, won't get power till Saturday.

Though they were quite lucky, their neighbour less so. Neighbours just had their brand new Jeep delivered early that Saturday morning....couple hours later a tree across the street came down and crushed it into a pancake
Old Aug 31st 2011, 4:29 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Checking in from Fairfield County, CT. Power went out Saturday night, it may be next week before we get it back. I'm at a friend's house about an hour away, as she got power back and I desperately needed to log on and get some work done (to say nothing of take a shower)! Had to zigzag getting here as roads closed all over with trees still dangling from wires across the roads. Had to drive under trees and around wires to get out of my road. Only lost about three of the hundreds of trees on my property -- we are in a little valley, and I think it must have zoomed over the top of us. But the river that runs through was the highest we've ever seen it on Sunday, though it went down quickly, too. Traffic lights out, supermarkets in darkness with all fresh goods removed from the shelves.

As we are on well water, luckily we have the river to bring buckets of water for the loo. We grill at night, and listen to the radio by candlelight. The dogs think we've gone nuts! Glad to hear that no-one was hurt or too adversely affected.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Katia has now formed in the Atlantic and is forecast to become a hurricane later today.. Fortunately further north than Irene so hopefully will miss land
Old Aug 31st 2011, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

Sadly, Irene has claimed a second life in my local area. The victim was sucked into a manhole after lifting the cover in an effort to drain several feet of flood water from his garden center. It was heartbreaking watching live coverage on the news yesterday, especially as I recognized some of the emergency personnel at the scene.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 5:42 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Grabbing wifi at my vet's office today! We are told that, all being well, we will have our electricity back next Wednesday.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

BellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Grabbing wifi at my vet's office today! We are told that, all being well, we will have our electricity back next Wednesday.
that's awful!
My son and daughter-in-law now have power, as of this afternoon, so my husband and I get our empty nest back for about three hours until our youngest son comes home from college for the long weekend.
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 6:06 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

What a relief -- we just got the power back. A group of lovely utilities guys from Colorado came down the drive and told us we'd be "hot" in an hour, and we were! They'd driven 30 hours in their very uncomfortable truck to help with the power restoration effort. The two younger guys were hoping they'd get to see NYC, never having been there. I certainly hope their wish comes true.
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 7:24 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

http://fearfuldogs.wordpress.com/201...t-hurt-either/

Quite a nice story of the folks on the VT/MA border
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 7:27 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
What a relief -- we just got the power back. A group of lovely utilities guys from Colorado came down the drive and told us we'd be "hot" in an hour, and we were! They'd driven 30 hours in their very uncomfortable truck to help with the power restoration effort. The two younger guys were hoping they'd get to see NYC, never having been there. I certainly hope their wish comes true.
Good news!
Reminds me of the Ice Storm back in1998. The crew who came up our road and finally restored our service (we had no power for twelve days) were from Hawaii.