Interview Logistics

Old Sep 3rd 2012, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

Basilisk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Interview Logistics

My UKC wife's interview has been scheduled for 9 AM. That being so early, we'll want to go up to London the night before. Can someone recommend a good hotel within walking distance of the embassy? I've tried Google maps, but it only finds a pretty undifferentiated collection of chain hotels. We'd like something quiet and relaxing, as this will be a nervous evening. Fairly posh is OK, but Claridge's probably breaks the budget...

Thanks,

Basil
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 4:45 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interview Logistics

There's one just accross from the embassy that's around £300 a night. Can't remember the name off hand and link is on the laptop.

EDiT- Its the Mariott Grosvenor Square
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

halfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nice

I stayed at the Radisson Blu Portman on Portman Square - there are a few Radissons to choose from in the vicinity but this was in the quietest area and still less than ten minutes walk from the Embassy. I typed the postcode into Trivago and chose a hotel that way.

The general consensus on this site is to get there early in the morning - it seems to be first come, first served, regardless of your scheduled interview time. I think mine was 9.00am too! I was there at 6.45am
Old Sep 4th 2012, 8:52 am
Philly in the hizzy!

PhillyGirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. Our interview is the same time so we are going up the night before. We booked at St. Geroge's which is about 0.6 from the embassy. It's like 103 pounds a night. We booked on Booking.com for that rate.

Hope that helps.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Wolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond repute

There are some decent B&Bs around Kings cross station or even look at Easy hotels, they can be as little as 40 pounds per night, very very basic!...We stayed well out of the center of London at a cost of around 45 a night for 2 nights so we could do some sightseeing after the stress, which to be honest is all hype and no pomp. We took a taxi to the embassy as Dena, my wife had never been in a London cab before so was a good day and great experience
Old Sep 6th 2012, 4:47 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by halfmoon
I stayed at the Radisson Blu Portman on Portman Square - there are a few Radissons to choose from in the vicinity but this was in the quietest area and still less than ten minutes walk from the Embassy. I typed the postcode into Trivago and chose a hotel that way.

The general consensus on this site is to get there early in the morning - it seems to be first come, first served, regardless of your scheduled interview time. I think mine was 9.00am too! I was there at 6.45am
Radisson Blu Sussex hotel, Granville Place, or Berkshire hotel, 350 Oxford St, or Mayfair hotel, Stratton Street.
Full disclosure- I worked for them prior to 2005. I imagine they are (still) good value (not cheap). They are all about 10 min walk from US embassy.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

MusicMan71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Holiday Inn @ Regents Square can be just over the £100 mark; is about 20 mins walk or a couple of tube stops.