How much money?

Old Aug 27th 2012, 6:55 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default How much money?

I am trying to save up enough money to come back to the UK to get some kind of foothold.

First of im thinking of one years worth in case i cant get a job. London is my preferred destination for work reasons.

How much did people bring with them when they came back assuming have no job lined up? im budgeting for rent, a car and general living expenses...i figure i need between 25k-30k pounds..any thoughts?
Old Aug 27th 2012, 7:58 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much money?

I'd probably want a little bit more in London as rent is expensive. 25k pounds would be ok for most places outside London and the SE.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Canuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I'm going to starve. I will be going with less than that.

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
I am trying to save up enough money to come back to the UK to get some kind of foothold.

First of im thinking of one years worth in case i cant get a job. London is my preferred destination for work reasons.

How much did people bring with them when they came back assuming have no job lined up? im budgeting for rent, a car and general living expenses...i figure i need between 25k-30k pounds..any thoughts?
Old Aug 28th 2012, 1:33 am
is finally happy

Tel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Canuck74
I guess I'm going to starve. I will be going with less than that.
I hope you won't starve! I'm coming with quite a bit less than that- around 2k in pounds! Mind you, I am a student and loans are paying for everything else, but hopefully it won't be too hard to feed one person about that amount for a year. Fingers crossed! Will post my findings when I get back!
Old Aug 28th 2012, 2:53 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tel8
I hope you won't starve! I'm coming with quite a bit less than that- around 2k in pounds! Mind you, I am a student and loans are paying for everything else, but hopefully it won't be too hard to feed one person about that amount for a year. Fingers crossed! Will post my findings when I get back!
Wow, I spent 3 times that in a year as a student in London back in the 1980s.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Almo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud of

I can't tell you until we go, but so far we have 14k (pounds). We plan to save more, but as our moving date is a little up in the air, I can't be certain. It probably won't be much more than that, maybe another few thousand? We have our cats' flights to pay for, plus shipping, in the next couple of months so most spare income will go on that.

However, it would be disingenuous for me not to say that we also have a rather substantial sum from the sale of our house. We have agreed that this money is not to be touched unless we are in dire straits - it is not to be dipped into if we're running short so we can have a night out etc. In other words, it's not to be used to maintain a 'normal' standard of living, it's only for use if we can't afford essential bills.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 1:05 am
is finally happy

Tel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by nun
Wow, I spent 3 times that in a year as a student in London back in the 1980s.
3x that really? Wow. Well thankfully I've only got one year to go (and I'll be working while I'm at it) so hopefully I'll manage okay (good thing mum taught me to budget carefully!)
Old Aug 29th 2012, 1:23 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
I'd probably want a little bit more in London as rent is expensive. 25k pounds would be ok for most places outside London and the SE.
that was what i was thinking...i was allowing 15k for rent (no bills or council tax inc)..i will need to buy a car too and run it (petrol and insurance etc)..plus food and maybe some furniture and tv etc...so 25k was my minimum if i could get to 30-35k i would feel comfortable.

im hoping i can get a job pretty quickly then its all money in the bank..but you never know with the UK economy struggling along like an an asthmatic snail.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 11:19 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

that was what i was thinking...i was allowing 15k for rent (no bills or council tax inc)..i will need to buy a car too and run it (petrol and insurance etc)..plus food and maybe some furniture and tv etc...so 25k was my minimum if i could get to 30-35k i would feel comfortable.

im hoping i can get a job pretty quickly then its all money in the bank..but you never know with the UK economy struggling along like an an asthmatic snail.
If you are in London, you don't need a car, which would substantially reduce the amount of money you need to save.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 1:08 pm
Every day's a school day

Originally Posted by Editha
If you are in London, you don't need a car, which would substantially reduce the amount of money you need to save.
i do need a car..my job involves a lot of traveling around the UK and sometimes Europe.. i work in Construction senior management so i would usually look after 4/5 different construction sites dotted around London/UK.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 2:30 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

i do need a car..my job involves a lot of traveling around the UK and sometimes Europe.. i work in Construction senior management so i would usually look after 4/5 different construction sites dotted around London/UK.
OK. You need a car.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 2:45 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Could you get the job to provide the car and petrol? That would be a big help.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 3:04 pm
Every day's a school day

Originally Posted by nun
Could you get the job to provide the car and petrol? That would be a big help.
yeah but i got to get a job first..the old chicken and egg..i need to car so im mobile to get a job in the first place.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 12:25 am
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tel8
thats 38 pounds a week, you are for sure going to starve...
Old Sep 5th 2012, 1:20 am
is finally happy

Originally Posted by ldollard
thats 38 pounds a week, you are for sure going to starve...
No worries. I'll be working. (Already found myself a job ) the 2k is just savings.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.