Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Inspiration to help you decide to move back

Inspiration to help you decide to move back

Old Nov 30th 2008, 2:28 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Inspiration to help you decide to move back

Bryson's great as an audio book because he reads them himself.

I laugh aloud, too.

Bev
Old Nov 30th 2008, 7:49 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bevm
Bryson's great as an audio book because he reads them himself.

I laugh aloud, too.

Bev
I will have to look for this. I have very mild dyslexia so find it hard to focus on books. This will be ideal.
I saw him interviewed on Parkinson once. Very interesting and funny guy.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

sdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond repute

My wife might assist people, after 15 years in Australia she never wanted to return to UK, however I persuaded her to give it a go last May, after 7 months she admits she much prefers the UK and never wants to return to Oz. We're even discussing selling up our house in Oz and buying a one here (YES!!!! )
Old Nov 30th 2008, 3:51 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sdunx
My wife might assist people, after 15 years in Australia she never wanted to return to UK, however I persuaded her to give it a go last May, after 7 months she admits she much prefers the UK and never wants to return to Oz. We're even discussing selling up our house in Oz and buying a one here (YES!!!! )
Can she call my wife? She's a South African - her folks are here. Mine are in the UK. 2 kids here (4 and 1). My brother is in the UK, as is her sister (who's just had a 3 months prem baby who is doing well). The clincher for me is my 10 year old son is also in the UK. I go back every 3 months to see him for a week - but it means I never get a holiday with my kids here. I have a job I'm not enjoying - which makes me think part of the unhappiness is due to that. We have been here 2 years - I am 80% sure I want to go back but know my wife is here with her parents and friends. She'll do whatever I ask but I feel selfish for dragging her back to the UK....but I miss my son...help!
Old Nov 30th 2008, 4:01 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Thats a horrible delema ededed.
Maybe you could have her move back with you for a set amount of time and then discuss which country would be best for everyone.
Or drag her parents to UK with you. then they could see the new baby too.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandergirl
I love Bill Bryson, I tried backagen's Bennett book and it was quite enjoyable but Bill is the best. Talking of which now he has returned to the UK hopefully there will be anew book about the UK soon?

Ruby if you can't get his books in any local bookstores you should find them on amazon, he has written quite a few about his travels, he is an expat American married to a Brit. Be warned I laugh out loud at some of his stuff so if you read it on a bus you may look a bit mad.
Thanks for the advice....I'll look it up on Amazon or Chapters
Old Nov 30th 2008, 5:24 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Thats a horrible delema ededed.
Maybe you could have her move back with you for a set amount of time and then discuss which country would be best for everyone.
Or drag her parents to UK with you. then they could see the new baby too.
Her mum has said if we move to the UK, she'd move too - both her daughters would be there - might be an option. I would certainly drag them! Cheaper than flying.

We were here for a few years, back in the UK for 6 years then back here for 2 - we can't decide! A problem of our own making to be sure - but whatever we do next is for keeps....I just can't be arsed to swap countries again - let alone hemispheres...!
Old Nov 30th 2008, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by kevin747
I'm looking forward to reading the Private Eye again.I miss satirical comment. I'm also dreaming of Glasgow curries .I can't wait to see the green hills where I live in Scotland as I'm fed up looking at the parched Victorian landscape and the You Yangs don't float my boat.
I get Private Eye posted out to me here in SA - couldn't live without it. And as for curries....if I don't have a chicken madras soon (sharing a pasanda with wifey) then I'll get the DTs. My sister in law is in Cumbernauld so we also venture east to Glasgae for a curry - best in the world! (IMHO).

My dad is in Auchtermuchty - beautiful hills and fields - and haggis!
Old Dec 1st 2008, 5:49 am
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ededed
I get Private Eye posted out to me here in SA - couldn't live without it. And as for curries....if I don't have a chicken madras soon (sharing a pasanda with wifey) then I'll get the DTs. My sister in law is in Cumbernauld so we also venture east to Glasgae for a curry - best in the world! (IMHO).

My dad is in Auchtermuchty - beautiful hills and fields - and haggis!
My mum's in Anstruther
Old Dec 7th 2008, 2:35 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by backagen
Have you seen or heard or read something that has given you some kind of inspiration or assisted you to make up your mind to move back to UK? I'm still struggling to decide for lots of highly complex reasons. However I noticed a book while just browsing in Angus & Robertson yesterday called "Mustn't Grumble - An accidental return to England" by Joe Bennett. I won't say it has magically solved all my problems by any means, but after a quick look I knew I had to buy it and have done so, because it's about a guy (the author) who returned to UK after 18 years away (which is about how long I've been away) and he gives and excellent and very descriptive and detailed account of that experience, which involves travelling to various parts of Britain. Anyway I just find that if I'm having one of those days when I'm more stressed and indecisive than usual about whether to move back or not, reading this helps to at least calm me down a bit! I recommend that you take a look at it in a book shop and maybe buy it if you're in a similar situation to me (very indecisive). Like I said it hasn't made me instantly make a decision but it helps a bit, and it is a very interesting and overall quite a nice account of modern English life, told by an ex-pat Englishman who has returned after a long time away, so we can probably all relate to his experience. Anyway, the point of this thread is to let each other know if we have seen or read or watched something (book, video, website, magazine or whatever) that might help us decide what to do, or to feel a bit better about making the decision to move back to UK. If so please let us know where to find it!

What a great question - and follow-up discussion. Thanks for the book recommendation. (Like I need an excuse to purchase yet another book!)

With regard to the brilliant Bill Bryson, his "Notes From a Small Island" used to also be available on DVD (we have it) but in checking with Amazon.com just now, it appears to be discontinued. Might be able to pick up a copy on eBay, etc. Superb DVD.

He and his wife - after a period of time living back here in the US - have now returned to the UK to live. He President of the Campaign to Protect Rural England. Here's his website: http://www.booksattransworld.co.uk/billbryson/
Old Jan 25th 2009, 1:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

I love Bill Bryson, I tried backagen's Bennett book and it was quite enjoyable but Bill is the best. Talking of which now he has returned to the UK hopefully there will be anew book about the UK soon?

Ruby if you can't get his books in any local bookstores you should find them on amazon, he has written quite a few about his travels, he is an expat American married to a Brit. Be warned I laugh out loud at some of his stuff so if you read it on a bus you may look a bit mad.
Well Islandergirl, as suggested by you, I bought Bill Bryson's "Notes from a Small Island" as my Christmas present, as well as "Mustn't Grumble" by Joe Bennett and it was this book that I decided to read first. I tried to see the humour in this book but I couldn't. I actually found the writer to be more negative and nit-picky about his tales of touring round England, and I kept waiting and hoping to actually read something funny or uplifting. What I was most surprised by was his not-very-pleasant attitude of Cornwall...like it was depressing and overly hyped in it's tourism industry - well he did visit Land's End in the pi$$ing rain and even the Gardens of Eden can look miserable in the rain!

Anyway, in a nutshell....I grew bored with the book half way through and started on Bill Bryson's. What a breath of fresh air!! Talk about funny as hell and yes, it is one of those books you find yourself laughing out loud to!! All observed through the eyes of an American who arrived at the port of Dover some 20 years earlier, fell in love with England & it's people, decided to stay, met his wife and had 2 daughters and lived in several parts of the UK. Now he does write about his England & places so affectionately - even though he does not praise all places - but he says so in a way you happily accept and tend to agree with. The only thing about this book is that it was published in 1996, so it is some 13 years old now, and I'm sure much more has probably changed since. Joe Bennett's book is as recent as 2006 but depicted through the eyes of a critical British Expat who loves his life in New Zealand.......I think I know who's view of England I prefer

Anyway, just wanted to share my opinions and hopefully, many more will say what they thought of these books.

Ruby x
Old Jan 25th 2009, 6:24 am
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold

Glad to hear you enjoyed Bill Ruby, he is a real fave of mine, I love his stuff and would suggest reading some of his other books about his European travels, there is some great laughs to be had with them as well.

He comes across as genuinely loving the UK but not in a rose tinted way, and pokes a lot of fun at Brits in a very affectionate way.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 9:46 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear you enjoyed Bill Ruby, he is a real fave of mine, I love his stuff and would suggest reading some of his other books about his European travels, there is some great laughs to be had with them as well.

He comes across as genuinely loving the UK but not in a rose tinted way, and pokes a lot of fun at Brits in a very affectionate way.
You can add me to the Bill Bryson fan club. His books about the US are similarly affectionate and full of many laughs and insights into the US psyche.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 12:55 pm
Feels great to be home!

SarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
You can add me to the Bill Bryson fan club. His books about the US are similarly affectionate and full of many laughs and insights into the US psyche.
Me too. I've read most of his books -- most recently Down Under, Shakespeare, and The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid. (When first I got back here I didn't have a telly and did a LOT of reading.)

FWIW, I *think* Notes from a Big Country is sold in the US as I'm a Stranger Here Myself and Down Under is sold as In a Sunburned Country.

As for the o.p.'s question, I had laughed and cried when I read Notes from a Small Island . . . but it was the death of one of my BILs that tipped me over the edge.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 1:46 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahInTX
Me too. I've read most of his books -- most recently Down Under, Shakespeare, and The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid. (When first I got back here I didn't have a telly and did a LOT of reading.)

FWIW, I *think* Notes from a Big Country is sold in the US as I'm a Stranger Here Myself and Down Under is sold as In a Sunburned Country.

As for the o.p.'s question, I had laughed and cried when I read Notes from a Small Island . . . but it was the death of one of my BILs that tipped me over the edge.
Yes, early on I seem to recall buying one of his books at WH Smith's in Heathrow Airport. I settled in to read it as I crossed the Atlantic and very quickly got a sense of deja vu - it was one of those with a different title in the UK, and I had already read it (under a different title) in the US! Made a decent Christmas present for a fellow expat later that year, though ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.