Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Inspiration to help you decide to move back

Inspiration to help you decide to move back

Old Nov 18th 2008, 7:29 am
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Inspiration to help you decide to move back

Have you seen or heard or read something that has given you some kind of inspiration or assisted you to make up your mind to move back to UK?

I'm still struggling to decide for lots of highly complex reasons.

However I noticed a book while just browsing in Angus & Robertson yesterday called "Mustn't Grumble - An accidental return to England" by Joe Bennett.

I won't say it has magically solved all my problems by any means, but after a quick look I knew I had to buy it and have done so, because it's about a guy (the author) who returned to UK after 18 years away (which is about how long I've been away) and he gives and excellent and very descriptive and detailed account of that experience, which involves travelling to various parts of Britain.

Anyway I just find that if I'm having one of those days when I'm more stressed and indecisive than usual about whether to move back or not, reading this helps to at least calm me down a bit!

I recommend that you take a look at it in a book shop and maybe buy it if you're in a similar situation to me (very indecisive). Like I said it hasn't made me instantly make a decision but it helps a bit, and it is a very interesting and overall quite a nice account of modern English life, told by an ex-pat Englishman who has returned after a long time away, so we can probably all relate to his experience.

Anyway, the point of this thread is to let each other know if we have seen or read or watched something (book, video, website, magazine or whatever) that might help us decide what to do, or to feel a bit better about making the decision to move back to UK.

If so please let us know where to find it!
Old Nov 18th 2008, 7:54 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: Inspiration to help you decide to move back

When i watch Emmerdale everyday, that inspires me enough
Old Nov 18th 2008, 8:28 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the post, and the tip - I will be looking for the book! I'm in the same situation. I have been in South Africa for a total of 6 years - full time for the past 2 and am really missing home. I get back every 3 months but it doesn't feel enough, but life here is good. We have a nice house, cars and a good standard of living but the pull of family is getting harder to ignore. There will be financial implications for going of course, but deciding what to do is causing many sleepless nights. I agree - there is a tipping point that will help decide, but I'll be buggered if I can find out what it is.

Good luck with your decision!
Old Nov 18th 2008, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the recommendation I will keep an eye out for the book, I love reading Bill Bryson (who has MBTTUK himself not long ago).

My inspiration was a lot sadder and involved a death and an illness with F&F (both in their thirties like me) which was my wake up call - would have been nicer to have been inspired by a book.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Merseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Saw the book 'Mustn't Grumble' in Borders awhile ago and thought about buying it but didn't get round to it.
I found that reading 'Notes from a Small Island' (Bill Bryson) helped me decide that the UK is where I belong.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Merseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
When i watch Emmerdale everyday, that inspires me enough
Although I don't watch Emmerdale anymore, I find those beautiful aerial scenes of the Yorkshire countryside during the opening credits very inspiring...
Old Nov 18th 2008, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandergirl
Thanks for the recommendation I will keep an eye out for the book, I love reading Bill Bryson (who has MBTTUK himself not long ago).

My inspiration was a lot sadder and involved a death and an illness with F&F (both in their thirties like me) which was my wake up call - would have been nicer to have been inspired by a book.
That's such a sad way to get your "wake up call", sorry to hear it. One of the things (well to be honest the main thing) that's pulling me back to UK and has been for years is that I am lucky enough to still have 2 grandparents there.

However they're both in their 80s and their health is gradually deteriorating so I know I can't keep putting it off. If I want to spend some time with them (and I do) I must move back and soon.

That alone should be enough to make me decide but there's so many other factors to consider and they're all important in different ways. It's very complicated.

I DON'T however, want to find out one day in the not too distant future my grandparents have died, and then wish I had moved back so I could have spent time with them. I think I would seriously regret that for a very very long time if not forever, so it is a wake up call for me now.

Anyway getting back on topic, some of these things like TV programs, movies, books and whatever else might help a bit to give us a more realistic or more positive outlook on Britain and that might help some of us who are struggling to decide.

I've heard of that "notes from a small island" before but not seen it. I will look out for it.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 3:58 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

My inspiration was Step Dad dying suddenly while on holiday in Portugal (Poor Mum was all alone) followed a couple months later by my Dad.
Of course this is my family and it hasn't inspired Dh in the same way. So I wait for my Ds to graduate and move back and I know that will inspire him to up sticks and go home.
Old Nov 29th 2008, 2:50 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merseygirl
Saw the book 'Mustn't Grumble' in Borders awhile ago and thought about buying it but didn't get round to it.
I found that reading 'Notes from a Small Island' (Bill Bryson) helped me decide that the UK is where I belong.
As a result of this post I dug out my old copy of BB's "notes from a big island" - the USA return. I can hardly turn a page without laughing out loud. One of the funniest books I have ever read - not sure I want to rush off and live in the US though. Notes from a small island must still be in one of the as yet unpacked boxes - and I don't have the energy to rummage in this heat..
Old Nov 29th 2008, 5:56 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ededed
As a result of this post I dug out my old copy of BB's "notes from a big island" - the USA return. I can hardly turn a page without laughing out loud. One of the funniest books I have ever read - not sure I want to rush off and live in the US though. Notes from a small island must still be in one of the as yet unpacked boxes - and I don't have the energy to rummage in this heat..
I thought the beginning of Notes from a Small Island was hilarious -- the bit about carefully planning travel routes in England. It's so true. I've never encountered it over here because the major routes are so obvious. In the case of Canada there's only one main road through most of it -- the Trans Canada Highway. For many miles it's 2 lane! I remember driving through Northern Ontario and going so long without meeting another vehicle (in summer, note) that I began to worry the world had come to an end and we didn't know.

And driving is rarely scenic as there are dense trees on either side.

But England has so many roads, large and small, and in some places there isn't a direct A road or motorway, so everyone enjoys these debates about the best road. Everytime we're back there, it starts up as soon as we say where we're going, and I love it.

Bev
Old Nov 29th 2008, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

I feel for you. My wake up call too, although they weren't as tragically young as those in your loss (father in law was 83 and my mother in law is fading every day at the age of 82). I'm lucky my folks are still alive and well but with them in their 60's, I want to share my life experiences along side of them while I can, rather than weekly phone calls and an annual visit

By the way....where do I find the info on this Bill Bryson?
Old Nov 29th 2008, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm looking forward to reading the Private Eye again.I miss satirical comment. I'm also dreaming of Glasgow curries .I can't wait to see the green hills where I live in Scotland as I'm fed up looking at the parched Victorian landscape and the You Yangs don't float my boat.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 12:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ededed
I have a copy of 'Notes from a Big Country', not sure if this is the same as the book you are talking about. It is a very funny book though, I laughed out a loud a few times myself while reading it! It certainly didn't make me want to rush off and live in the US either.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 1:18 am
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold

I love Bill Bryson, I tried backagen's Bennett book and it was quite enjoyable but Bill is the best. Talking of which now he has returned to the UK hopefully there will be anew book about the UK soon?

Ruby if you can't get his books in any local bookstores you should find them on amazon, he has written quite a few about his travels, he is an expat American married to a Brit. Be warned I laugh out loud at some of his stuff so if you read it on a bus you may look a bit mad.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

I love Bill Bryson, I tried backagen's Bennett book and it was quite enjoyable but Bill is the best. Talking of which now he has returned to the UK hopefully there will be anew book about the UK soon?

Ruby if you can't get his books in any local bookstores you should find them on amazon, he has written quite a few about his travels, he is an expat American married to a Brit. Be warned I laugh out loud at some of his stuff so if you read it on a bus you may look a bit mad.
Yes, I've read quite a few of his books. Great read

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.