I'm at my wits end...

Old Nov 17th 2022, 3:02 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm at my wits end...

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That may not help in some cases if the bank policy says inflexibly "a utility bill", even though logically you are correct in thinking that a letter from a government department should be sufficient. For example, I read recently that a cell phone bill is not "a utility bill" for the purposes of identification.
When we moved back from Spain our rental contract was taken as proof of residence to get onto the Electoral Roll, so we were able to do that within 48 hours.
Old Nov 17th 2022, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

iwatkin is an unknown quantity at this point

I had zero problems getting on the Electoral Roll. Starling mention that a poll card is one method of proof of residency. Each bank seems to have its own rules. It's important to understand that I'm staying with friends and have no utility bills of my own. I don't think I can even rent my own place yet without a credit history. When I called HMRC to get the letter, I initially got the runaround until I mentioned that I had a circular problem and, out of frustration, just said I may as well get back on a plane and return to the US. Then she pricked up her ears and went through the identity verification and took me seriously. Dave, the first person I spoke to at HMRC (after an hour and ten minutes on hold), told me I'd called the wrong department and promptly dropped the call while "forwarding the call to the right department".
Old Nov 17th 2022, 4:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iwatkin
Bill Bryson moved his family back to New Hampshire and detailed his exploits in a series of The Mail on Sunday articles, later published as Notes from a Big Country. I know he eventually moved them back to the UK, but I don't know the details. All I remember of it all was his ill-fated trip to the mall (no sidewalks in the parking lot to walk on), and his bemusement at a neighbor that routinely drove a mile to the gym to work out on the treadmill. That was the last book I read, but I'll be sure to check out some more of his later work. He's so funny.
He moved to Norfolk after being in the US, but now apparently lives in Hampshire. I absolutely love him, and in fact have just re-read his Walk in the Woods, Notes from a Big Country and The Lost Continent books in preparation for our move stateside! I could read his books endlessly, he makes the most mundane subject engaging.
Old Nov 18th 2022, 8:15 am
Just Joined

CaptainPea is an unknown quantity at this point

We had a similar problem with opening bank accounts on return to the UK five years ago. Even though I had been a customer of HSBC for over 50 years they were reluctant to give my US citizen wife an account despite her having many thousands of pounds to deposit from the sale of our property in the USA and she already had an HSBC account in the USA. It seems they go through an automated system that just ticks boxes and if it comes out wrong - no account. The manager of the branch we were at was on the phone to London trying to find out why she couldn't have an account (even with a stellar US credit rating) and they wouldn't even tell the manager why not.

We went to Barclays and they turned her down flat.

So we returned to HSBC and after much begging they gave her a bank account usually used for bankrupts - no credit, no interest.

Pitiful.

Old Nov 18th 2022, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on opening the bank account. It can be maddening when you go round in circles or hit a dead end, especially when you often don't know what the problem is so can't attempt a solution.

UK banks no longer require proof of address to open accounts - I don't know why or when it changed, only that it could be a pain trying to prove it if you didn't have a utility bill in your name.

With a bank account and being on the electoral roll, you will start building a credit history. Setting up a couple of direct debits, e.g. phone contract, getting (and using) a credit card, even if you pay off the full balance each month, will build your credit score. Using no more than around 30% of your credit card limit improves your score and don't withdraw cash on your credit card (it makes you look like you're struggling financially). For renting, what's really important is not just your credit score but not having any major negatives - missed credit card or loan payments, unauthorised overdraft, rent defaults, county court judgements against you, etc. You can check your credit rating for free:
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/lo...credit-report/
It's surprising that your rating can be quite different at the various agencies. It's useful to check to at least ensure they don't hold any false information about you that is damaging your rating - if they do, you can challenge it and have it corrected.
Old Nov 19th 2022, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

marigoldfairy is an unknown quantity at this point

So odd, I just went to the HSBC bank with my husband the day after I got to the UK and they added me to his existing account no issues. Even set me up on an additional saver account in addition to the now joint account.
Old Nov 20th 2022, 12:55 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tdrinker
.... UK banks no longer require proof of address to open accounts - I don't know why or when it changed, ....
I am intrigued as to where you got that information as a quick Google search found that the Citizens Advice web site, plus Wise, HSBC, Barclay's, and Metrobank all say they require proof of address, and NatWest says it "might" need to.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 20th 2022 at 1:00 pm.
Old Nov 20th 2022, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps I'm wrong in saying that no banks require it. But it's true that at least some - the ones I checked - don't, e.g. Lloyds:

ID and verificationWe will need to carry out identification and verification checks on you, as well as anyone else who will be authorised to operate your account.

In most cases you will only need to produce one of the following:
  • a current UK photo driving licence
  • passport from the United Kingdom
They need your address, but not that you prove it.
This accords with my own recent experience of opening a (non-Lloyds) bank account, which I did online whereas a few years ago it was necessary to submit documents, sometimes certified. It might be that they are making checks behind the scenes, and will revert if necessary.
Old Nov 20th 2022, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I am intrigued as to where you got that information as a quick Google search found that the Citizens Advice web site, plus Wise, HSBC, Barclay's, and Metrobank all say they require proof of address, and NatWest says it "might" need to.
I can confirm that neither HSBC or Chase require proof of address. We went into our local HSBC branch to ask what our daughter needed to open a bank and no proof of address was needed. A day or 2 after she arrived last week she decided to use Chase UK which had a recent very high rating by Which? consumer magazine. It took less than an hour to open it and no proof of address needed. She did it online using the Chase UK app and after completing the application it said that it would now be reviewed by a person so she expected to hear next day. Within 15 mins she got a message that she had been approved and was provided with a sort code and account number. I immediately set her up as a payee and sent her £10 which arrived within seconds. When I set her up from my HSBC bank app it first came back with an exact match when I put in her name, sort code and account number so I was very impressed at how quickly the databases updated and were synchronized.
Old Nov 20th 2022, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

kateg60 is an unknown quantity at this point

I opened a Lloyd account online with a UK mobile number and a passport. I used my sisters address. I deposited GBP once I was in the UK.
Old Dec 5th 2022, 5:33 pm
Just Joined

kaj808 is an unknown quantity at this point

I use Revulot, allows me to hold multiple currencies as well which is useful as i'm between the US and UK currently.
Old Dec 6th 2022, 5:36 am
Just Joined

TeaRose36 is an unknown quantity at this point

Make sure you are on the electoral roll. It is crucial to building up a credit history. I have only just joined this forum and forum rules say that I cannot post links until I have made 5 posts but look on the UK government's website for details of how to do it. Good luck.
Old Dec 6th 2022, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
He moved to Norfolk after being in the US, but now apparently lives in Hampshire. I absolutely love him, and in fact have just re-read his Walk in the Woods, Notes from a Big Country and The Lost Continent books in preparation for our move stateside! I could read his books endlessly, he makes the most mundane subject engaging.
I remember sending my mother and step father in law in the UK a book by Bill Bryson (my DF just loved his work) whilst we lived in Australia the books title was “Down Under” I had not read this actual book bought thought it would be a nice gift as they were going to be coming to Australia for their first ever visit, anyway the book in parts terrified my FIL so much so he was having 2nd thoughts about visiting lol well he is afraid of even house spiders here in the UK
Old Dec 6th 2022, 11:47 am
Just Joined

TeaRose36 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brits1
I remember sending my mother and step father in law in the UK a book by Bill Bryson (my DF just loved his work) whilst we lived in Australia the books title was “Down Under” I had not read this actual book bought thought it would be a nice gift as they were going to be coming to Australia for their first ever visit, anyway the book in parts terrified my FIL so much so he was having 2nd thoughts about visiting lol well he is afraid of even house spiders here in the UK

I loved that Bill Bryson book. I loved all his books but I remember one of the first remarks he made in Down Under was something like 'there are more things that want to kill you in Australia than anywhere else on earth'! If you haven't read it, I can thoroughly recommend it and every other book he has written, too.