British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   I'm at my wits end... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/im-my-wits-end-946158/)

iwatkin Nov 16th 2022 3:31 pm

I'm at my wits end...

Moved back to the UK from the US. Been away 20+ years. Have been trying to open a UK bank account since July 22nd. I managed to apply to HSBC. I've been waiting nearly a month for a "Welcome Pack", but I strongly suspect that they'll send a "Sorry" letter.

I just applied to Starling (online) today. They got back and said that they can't offer me an account. I posted documents and everything. They then laughably said I can check my (non-existent) credit report to find out the reason.

I think I have a circular problem: I can't have a bank account with no credit history and I can't create a credit history with no bank account.

Does anybody, please, have any ideas? I'm seriously looking at returning to the US where I can open a bank account in 20 minutes.

SanDiegogirl Nov 16th 2022 3:34 pm

Re: I'm at my wits end...

Have you got money to deposit into a checking account? Most banks would give you a checking account if you have money to put into it.

That's what I did when coming to the US years ago.

christmasoompa Nov 16th 2022 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by iwatkin (Post 13154942)
I just applied to Starling (online) today. They got back and said that they can't offer me an account. I posted documents and everything. They then laughably said I can check my (non-existent) credit report to find out the reason.

Starling are normally one of the more flexible banks. Is there anything on your credit report that might cause an issue? You say it's non-existent but do you mean there's just nothing on it?

Have a search of the forums for bank recommendations for returning expats - Wise Borderless is one I've seen recommended often. It would give you a UK sort code and account number at least to get started.

Pulaski Nov 16th 2022 3:51 pm

This (first paragraph) doesn't answer your question, but opening a bank account in the US, as a new immigration to the US, or returnee after many years (beyond 7 years, when all your credit report expires), is every bit as difficult as in the UK, because both countries are applying very similar rules on confirming and documenting the identity of new customers.

The common stumbing block, in both the UK and US often relates to you having, and can prove, a "permanent" residential address. Each bank may have its own rules, but typically a utility bill is expected in the UK which can cause a problem if you are living with relatives or in rented accommodation that includes utilities in the rent, such as a holiday let. Also it has been reported a number of times that getting your name on the electoral roll in the UK is often a critical step to proving both your existence and that you are a British citizen.

Another problem specific to the UK is that some banks have a very low tolerance to "American" customers, because of the burden of reporting accounts, balances, and interest income to the US IRS each year. Some UK banks have closed accounts owned by "Americans", and some have allowed such accounts to remain open, but won't open new accounts for people who are American citizens or permanent residents.

My tip would be to start by approaching any banks that you have previously held accounts with as some banks will reopen accounts even if they have been dormant for many years.

iwatkin Nov 16th 2022 5:05 pm

I have pounds sterling. I was literally told that I couldn't "despot any money today". This is in the UK. I've opened several US accounts in the past. In fact, I opened a savings account in the US from the UK recently. No issue whatsoever.

iwatkin Nov 16th 2022 5:07 pm

Update: Starling bank emailed me and explained that I need to reapply because I started the application more than 90 days ago.

I'm going to try that now. Wish me luck!

Also... for anyone who responded (thank you), I have proof of a permanent residential address in the form of a letter from HMRC. And of course I have my passport.

Pulaski Nov 16th 2022 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by iwatkin (Post 13154960)
.... I have proof of a permanent residential address in the form of a letter from HMRC....

That may not help in some cases if the bank policy says inflexibly "a utility bill", even though logically you are correct in thinking that a letter from a government department should be sufficient. For example, I read recently that a cell phone bill is not "a utility bill" for the purposes of identification.

iwatkin Nov 16th 2022 8:31 pm

Good news!

I received an email from Starling explaining that I was rejected because my application was over 90 days old. Deleted the app and started again, and four hours later I now have a bank account.

Phew!!!

Helen1964 Nov 17th 2022 4:07 am

Well done!
Do please come back at some point and tell us about your experience of moving back. The good, the bad and the ugly. We’re all agog.

brits1 Nov 17th 2022 10:01 am

Originally Posted by iwatkin (Post 13154994)
Good news!

I received an email from Starling explaining that I was rejected because my application was over 90 days old. Deleted the app and started again, and four hours later I now have a bank account.

Phew!!!

Great news, now you can really start to enjoy life back in Blighty x

durham_lad Nov 17th 2022 11:13 am

Good luck with your application. Starling bank was rated as the best recently by Which? magazine.

https://www.which.co.uk/money/bankin...s-a3q5d8c6dj7y

We picked our daughter up from Manchester airport on Monday (today is Thursday) and she is already making good progress doing what she needs to do. She has lived in the USA since 1987 from age 6 so this is a big move for her.

Our EV arrived a week ago so she will buy our Prius. She has been down to the solicitors to present herself with the 2 forms of id needed plus a copy of a bank statement from Chase US proving who she is and that she is in good financial standing. Her house sale in the US is going well after some jogs in the road, but should close on the 29th. Yesterday she went and visited the house here that she has an agreement to buy. That seems to be progressing well and the owners are already into packing mode even though they don't move to Australia until January.

Last night she downloaded the Chase UK Bank app and now has a UK bank account. She read out the sort code and account number and I sent her a small amount to test it. It worked like a charm, my app confirmed her details as an exact match which surprised me as it was literally within a minute or 2 of her receiving the text conforming her new account details. She did not have to prove residence which is a change from a few years ago. After answering a bunch of questions there was a delay while a human reviewed the details and approved the application.

She has not yet registered to vote or applied for a NI number or a UK provisional driving licence but that will come. She has registered with the NHS, which required a form to be completed then down to the GP surgery with her British passport plus a copy of a utility bill to prove residence here. (I had her name added to our account a few weeks ago)

iwatkin Nov 17th 2022 11:45 am

We picked our daughter up from Manchester airport on Monday (today is Thursday) and she is already making good progress doing what she needs to do. She has lived in the USA since 1987 from age 6 so this is a big move for her.
Wow. That's huge. She's going to have a little culture shock, for sure. Maybe she can read some of Bill Bryson's books to ease her transition (and make her laugh). His experience was in the early 70s, but it's still a fascinating read. I wish her good luck.

scrubbedexpat142 Nov 17th 2022 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by iwatkin (Post 13155082)
Wow. That's huge. She's going to have a little culture shock, for sure. Maybe she can read some of Bill Bryson's books to ease her transition (and make her laugh). His experience was in the early 70s, but it's still a fascinating read. I wish her good luck.

He did an update, "The road to little dribbling" in 2015.

durham_lad Nov 17th 2022 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by iwatkin (Post 13155082)

Originally Posted by Expatrick (Post 13155087)
He did an update, "The road to little dribbling" in 2015.

Thanks, I will certainly pass on the recommendation. I do like Bill Bryson.

iwatkin Nov 17th 2022 1:21 pm

Bill Bryson moved his family back to New Hampshire and detailed his exploits in a series of The Mail on Sunday articles, later published as Notes from a Big Country. I know he eventually moved them back to the UK, but I don't know the details. All I remember of it all was his ill-fated trip to the mall (no sidewalks in the parking lot to walk on), and his bemusement at a neighbor that routinely drove a mile to the gym to work out on the treadmill. That was the last book I read, but I'll be sure to check out some more of his later work. He's so funny.