Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

I'm getting fed up with...

Wikiposts

I'm getting fed up with...

Old Mar 17th 2008, 8:57 am
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm getting fed up with...

Originally Posted by Thydney
The French
Old Mar 17th 2008, 9:43 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I guess you don't have a thick skin. BTW, some of what you wrote could equally apply to the UK so it's not like the US is unique.
Yes, yes. Thats true, but she's having a sh!t time of it and sometimes the best advice is constructive. Hell, I very rarely get constructive critisism when I am feeling down in the mouth over being a foreigner.
Thats not to say a kick up the arse isn't warranted sometimes - like when you have gone off the deep end into the land of 24hr pity-parties. That place is nothing but bad news.

Your second point is prob very true.
But she's a Brit, this is America and the reverse (as true as it is) just doesn't apply or help.
Unfortunately.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emma M
Fakeness, selfishness, narrow mindedness and intolerance!!!

I swear, I'm going to SCREAM!!! :curse:

The next time I hear someone say "This is a Christian country..."

The next time someone singles me out for being different with their fake "oooh, I just lurve your accent!"

The next time I see some who's - yer - mate on TV with fake white veneer teeth

The next time I read that size zero is attractive

The next time I hear a sexist remark... and it is ACCEPTABLE!!!

The next time I see a religiously intolerant or racist bumper sticker

The next time I have to throw the trash out... and KNOW I could recycle most of it if the facilities were available!

The next time someone gives me a weird look for CHOOSING to walk down the street!

The next time I hear about another shooting

The next time I hear about "those ragheads"

The next time some butthead tries to tell me about Christianity as if I never heard of Jesus before

I'm not going to be responsible for my bloody actions!!!
Nice glass of Vino, is in order. Maybe 2.
Have a nice day.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
So despite all your ranting, you're beginning to think like a Yank...
LOL!!!
Old Mar 18th 2008, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

franki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nice

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
A lot of americans are tossers, granted.

They are totally ignorant that there is a whole world outside their borders, which is why Sept 11 was a shock to them. They are intolerant of new ideas, anything different to the established way of things is criticised and dismissed.

Of course not all yanks are like that, but each time I visit, I see it everywhere.

Why do I want to move to the US, you ask?

Well, the missus is ready to go back there. Her work is tailing off here, and financially, it just makes sense for us to make the move now.

I'm hoping 'll just get used to the idiocy and learn to live with it.
Where in Lancs are you?
Old Mar 18th 2008, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

On the coast.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 11:42 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
A lot of americans are tossers, granted.

They are totally ignorant that there is a whole world outside their borders, which is why Sept 11 was a shock to them. They are intolerant of new ideas, anything different to the established way of things is criticised and dismissed.

Of course not all yanks are like that, but each time I visit, I see it everywhere.

Why do I want to move to the US, you ask?

Well, the missus is ready to go back there. Her work is tailing off here, and financially, it just makes sense for us to make the move now.

I'm hoping 'll just get used to the idiocy and learn to live with it.

I can't speak for all Yanks, but as an American, Sept 11 was a shock to me because somebody flew big ****ing airplanes into the Twin ****ing Towers and the ****ing Pentagon and nearly succeeded in doing the same to the White ****ing House!

And that kind of thing just doesn't happen every day.

And I think you're lying about there being a so-called "world" outside our borders, we were always told that there was nothing worthwhile out there.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 12:06 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

I can't speak for all Yanks, but as an American, Sept 11 was a shock to me because somebody flew big ****ing airplanes into the Twin ****ing Towers and the ****ing Pentagon and nearly succeeded in doing the same to the White ****ing House!

And I think you're lying about there being a so-called "world" outside our borders, we were always told that there was nothing worthwhile out there.
You are channeling Rushman.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 12:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

.......and as a Brit I was in shock too and as we all were when the terrorists hit the UK on 7/7.

ABY..........what can I say. The poster that made those remarks is making himself look totally ignorant and idiotic, and he obviously knows nothing......... wow....why are people so thoughtless and self absorbed
Old Mar 19th 2008, 12:15 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
.......and as a Brit I was in shock too and as we all were when the terrorists hit the UK on 7/7.

ABY..........what can I say. The poster that made those remarks is making himself look totally ignorant and idiotic, and he obviously knows nothing......... wow....why are people so thoughtless and self absorbed
I do see his point. But still, who wouldn't have been shocked by such a thing?
Old Mar 19th 2008, 12:18 am
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
This seems to be a typical case of someone who rails against perceived "ignorance", blinkered thinking and self absorbtion and then goes on to brilliantly demonstrate exactly those failings.

British Guy 36, you've got a lot to learn.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 12:19 am
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

I do see his point.
I don't.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 12:27 am
Unmitigated Gall

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I don't.
If his point was that a lot of Americans aren't as knowledgeable as they could be in the areas of world geography and foreign affairs than I agree. I don't agree with the way he said it, and why the guy that grades my road in Frankford, Missouri should know that the PM of Australia apologized to the Aborigines is debatable. Also, I don't think that this is a trait monopolized by Yanks...
Old Mar 19th 2008, 3:50 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

There is an thin film of resentment abroad, a sense that when much of the rest of the world was experiencing terrorism, it was ignored by Americans, they were OK, they, on the mainland, had only once been attacked where they lived. In fact both the government and some groups of citizens, had in the past, supported the terrorism in other countries.

Suddenly we were attacked at home and the rest of the world was required to take notice. The act was perhaps the biggest single act of non-state terrorism ever, and the most of the world cried with us voluntarily. The US reaction, treating every foreigner and foreign country with suspicion, disrupting international commerce, requiring data on all travelers seems to be overkill, kidnapping and extraordinary renditions of the nationals of other countries, far, far above anything the USA had been prepared to do for other countries prior to 9/11.

I don't want to overstate this sense, it is a gossamer thin cloud over the thick layer of sympathy, a mere mist, but making foreigners and foreign countries who have no connection to the USA, to jump through hoops for no apparent purpose except to be seen doing something, seems to be increasing the density of the mist.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 5:50 am
I approved this message

If his point was that a lot of Americans aren't as knowledgeable as they could be in the areas of world geography and foreign affairs than I agree.
That I definitely agree with.
I don't agree with the way he said it, and why the guy that grades my road in Frankford, Missouri should know that the PM of Australia apologized to the Aborigines is debatable. Also, I don't think that this is a trait monopolized by Yanks...
Probably both true.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.