Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

If you'd had a crystal ball.....

If you'd had a crystal ball.....

Old Mar 9th 2009, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

sfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud of
Default Re: If you'd had a crystal ball.....

I would have still come as being young (20s) Australia was all so exciting after being in a small english town with all my school friends having children at the time it seemed so boring and I couldnt wait to have an adventure and I had just had a couple of years in the Middle east so had a taste for more travel. We had a great time here for the first few years.

Now with nearly 20 years clocked up here my crystal ball would have told me I would get more homesick (or peoplesick if you like) with time and we would have left six years ago before my son went to school and the fear of being trapped here for ever overwhelms me and not being able to spend time with my family and friends other than the holidays which are no longer as frequent.

I think it is right that going back after such a long time gets harder as the upheavel is massive and much will have changed however I am sure it is harder to continue to stay and always have regrets , no easy answer as we all know so well
Old Mar 9th 2009, 9:49 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Probably not. Not because I particularly hate it here in Australia, or that I think the UK is streets ahead. Its simply that the cost and effort, both emotionally and financially, of making the journey and setting up a new home were just not worth what we got out of the move
I think that this is a tough area. If you really love it or really hate it, the choice is easy, but being a bit ambivalent must make long term plans a bit less clear cut.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

katana is an unknown quantity at this point

You shouldn't think that just because your son is at school now you are trapped there.We moved when my daughter was 8 & it has had no effect on her ,even though she left behind 3 older brothers.It will be much harder when he is older & maybe he'll want to stay in the only place he knows,which will mean you will have an even greateer problem leaving him behind.
I have 3 children in UK & 3 here in France & we want to move to Aus. before any of them want to stay here,which is what my daughter now 14 has hinted at.If we get to Aus I know at least 2 of my sons in the UK will probably join us so i will have more family there than I do here.
Kids love adventure so if you want to move do it now while you can,without too much protest.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

stm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sfr09
I would have still come as being young (20s) Australia was all so exciting after being in a small english town with all my school friends having children at the time it seemed so boring and I couldnt wait to have an adventure and I had just had a couple of years in the Middle east so had a taste for more travel. We had a great time here for the first few years.

Now with nearly 20 years clocked up here my crystal ball would have told me I would get more homesick (or peoplesick if you like) with time and we would have left six years ago before my son went to school and the fear of being trapped here for ever overwhelms me and not being able to spend time with my family and friends other than the holidays which are no longer as frequent.

I think it is right that going back after such a long time gets harder as the upheavel is massive and much will have changed however I am sure it is harder to continue to stay and always have regrets , no easy answer as we all know so well
I totally understand where you are coming from. I feel the longer I am here (nearly 9 years now) the more trapped I am and the harder it will be to uproot my family again.

But I do know that if I stayed I would regret it. My children still have quite a lot of schooling years and I would much prefer it to be done in the UK, although I still worry that it will be a much bigger upheaval for them than we we came.

At the moment though the earliest possible "release date" is next year due to my OH.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

sfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud of

my son is 11 nearly 12 in year 6 here but in the uk should have started year 7 last sept , like you said he thinks it would be a great adventure to go and live in England at the moment. I agree kids are adapable and resilient up to a point I know he would miss his friends and all the sport he does here hopefully he could do the same there but I dont really know as I left when I was in my 20s so have no idea of the schooling and sport compared to Oz
That is one of the problems I suppose of being here a long time as I really dont know the reality of daily life in the Uk as a family. I left in the 80s so obviously lots has changed my reasons for returning are to spend time with our extended families . I try hard to imagine the reality of standing by the football pitch on saturday afternoon when its minus something :curse:
Old Mar 11th 2009, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

Mary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingbat
We're in Canada. We don't care about the Godzoners. No, I would never, ever have come here.
Hi Dingbat

am interested in why you would never have gone to Canada of you'd known then what you know now ?
Old Mar 11th 2009, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold

I would have insisted that my Aussie husband moved to the UK rather than me moving here to Aus, not because I hate it here but because the distance is too far from the UK and I feel like I missed out on so much with F&F as a result.

But I don't think it's healthy to dwell in the past and keep saying if only.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

I would have still gone to Aus. It has made me appreciate what I have in Scotland and that I was a "moanin minnie".

I got out just in the nick of time
Old Mar 15th 2009, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

Nathan84 is just really niceNathan84 is just really niceNathan84 is just really niceNathan84 is just really niceNathan84 is just really niceNathan84 is just really niceNathan84 is just really niceNathan84 is just really nice

No I wouldn't have moved. There have been more downs then up's in the time I have been here. I don't 100% regret it life experience and all that... but I feel I missed out on a lot at home with friends + family etc and if I had known exactly how things turned out I would have stayed in England.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 8:23 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by camponotus
If you had had a crystal ball when you made the move abroad (e.g. to Australia) from the UK, and had thus been able to foresee exactly what life was going to be like at your planned destination, and all the ups/downs you were going to experience, would you still have come?
No.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 3:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid
No.
Me neither.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 4:37 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Me neither.
Nice to know that I'm not the only one that found the US could be tiresome.