Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

If you were over 50..........

If you were over 50..........

Old Aug 30th 2011, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you were over 50..........

Originally Posted by Beedubya
footloose and fancy free where would you live in the whole of the UK if you could, no not somewhere for a 2 week holiday, but where you would actually want to live, climate, things of interest, ease of getting to places...........

I am not talking like other threads of where you can AFFORD to buy a property but am looking at moving on from the North of England, as much as I love the people the weather really is not great.......I am looking to work and rent somewhere other than here............so I welcome all points of view.........good and bad...........
Dorset also (forgot to add on my last thread) has a large percentage of retiree's!!!!!!!!!!!!! blimey I'm moving there myself after reading my own replies lol........
Old Aug 30th 2011, 2:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curleytops
Hahaha racking up the Nectar points for Easy Jet! Whereabouts in the north are you from?
Sorry I should of written your return from Canada not U.S!!!! I am from the North West, near Manchester but now live in Derbyshire....for us at present it offers us the best of both worlds, countryside right on our doorstep but an easy drive to either Sheffield or Manchester for City shopping etc and family near enough but far enough if you know what I mean. One day we might like to live nearer the coast but is suits all at this stage in our lives.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 3:17 pm

Isabel_7 is an unknown quantity at this point

footloose and fancy free where would you live in the whole of the UK if you could, no not somewhere for a 2 week holiday, but where you would actually want to live, climate, things of interest, ease of getting to places...........

I am not talking like other threads of where you can AFFORD to buy a property but am looking at moving on from the North of England, as much as I love the people the weather really is not great.......I am looking to work and rent somewhere other than here............so I welcome all points of view.........good and bad...........

Since you need to find work I would consider Cardiff or Bristol. Both have airports, good train service and a large enough economy to offer the potential for finding work. Plus both offer good entertainment options. Good luck finding the spot that suits your present needs.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BristolUK
You missed the bifocal shop windows.

And the foreign students.
Hey if the Op is 50 & single a young foreign student might be just the ticket to tops things off nicely
Old Aug 30th 2011, 4:56 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Like someone else said, I'm a northerner and I don't think I could thrive down south. To me community is so much more important than weather, so my ideal areas are:

1) The Lake District
2) Anywhere in the Yorkshire Dales
3) Ilkley
4) Buxton and the Peak District
5) Harrogate or York

If I had to leave the north, I suppose Devon or Dorset would be my choices, although Norfolk also looks nice. But they'd have to drag me kicking and screaming. lol.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by robin1234
My perspective at present is no doubt coloured by the fact that I now live in a small town, hundreds of miles from the sea.

I'd like to live at the seaside. (Cromer in Norfolk? Saltburn? Dawlish?) Alternatively, in a smallish city such as a cathedral city (Norwich? Exeter?) A place that is big enough to have excellent shopping, theatre & live music & good libraries etc.

Good public transport links are very important to me, especially with getting older and the dire state of road congestion in England. So needs to have a railway station within walking distance, and good local buses. Also - local airport with useful foreign services. For instance, I think Norwich has a regular service to Amsterdam.

Access to good countryside is important. Norwich (broads & coast), Exeter (Dartmoor & Dorset, S. Devon coastpath etc.)
Having recently returned to the UK (living in Malvern), I have been working in Norfolk and would indeed agree that places such as Herefordshire and Norfolk offer some real hidden gems. These are places I would have never considered at one time but I suppose I have returned with a more open mind. As a Yorkshireman, I can definately say that the south is warmer than the north and this is a real bonus which I would be reluctant to give up. I recently visited one of the northern Pennine towns in early August and it was bloody freezing.

Last edited by johnh009; Aug 30th 2011 at 5:06 pm.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 6:46 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Norfolk has had a few mentions above and I would add my suggestion to put it on the list.
I rather like Norwich as a city, there are inner city apartments recently built in good taste, a thriving shopping center(s), active arts and music, plenty of pubs , history abounds, countryside and coast close by, relatively low rainfall, good bus service and Park & Ride, an airport, a fast train connection to Cambridge, Stansted and London. I have no insight into employment. On the down side, Norwich is rather remote if you wish to travel by road or rail to the West or North.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Like someone else said, I'm a northerner and I don't think I could thrive down south. To me community is so much more important than weather, so my ideal areas are:

1) The Lake District
2) Anywhere in the Yorkshire Dales
3) Ilkley
4) Buxton and the Peak District
5) Harrogate or York

If I had to leave the north, I suppose Devon or Dorset would be my choices, although Norfolk also looks nice. But they'd have to drag me kicking and screaming. lol.
My sentiments to a Tee lol....Love the Lake District but have never visited when it's not been raining. The Dales are breathtaking...in all weathers. Buxton (was there yesterday with my Dad ...always a very good day out) the Peak District in some ways is U.K's best kept secret. Visited Harrogate and York just before Easter and always a very enjoyable visit, never been to Ikley but have seen it mentioned quite a few times on this board. Yes "The North" has lots to offer even with the weather lol...Having been a "Southerner" while living in Perth,Australia, I must admit it's great to be a "Northerner" once again lol
Old Aug 30th 2011, 7:27 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
Dorset also (forgot to add on my last thread) has a large percentage of retiree's!!!!!!!!!!!!! blimey I'm moving there myself after reading my own replies lol........
Noooo not ready for the rocking chair and the zimmer frame just quite yet LOL!!

Keep them coming folks, loving this thread!!

Am now thinking Kent way, saw a programme on Countrylife (??) last night about the garden of England and it was sooo beautiful and I don't think it's quite so far from London............or maybe Bournemouth or Hove or well anywhere really.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 7:28 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Isabel_7
Since you need to find work I would consider Cardiff or Bristol. Both have airports, good train service and a large enough economy to offer the potential for finding work. Plus both offer good entertainment options. Good luck finding the spot that suits your present needs.
I have a particular type of job in mind that has residential vacancies in some of the nicest parts of this beautiful country of ours.

Last edited by Beedubya; Aug 30th 2011 at 7:39 pm.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 7:29 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Englishman43
Hey if the Op is 50 & single a young foreign student might be just the ticket to tops things off nicely
Old Aug 30th 2011, 7:33 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by johnh009
Having recently returned to the UK (living in Malvern), I have been working in Norfolk and would indeed agree that places such as Herefordshire and Norfolk offer some real hidden gems. These are places I would have never considered at one time but I suppose I have returned with a more open mind. As a Yorkshireman, I can definately say that the south is warmer than the north and this is a real bonus which I would be reluctant to give up. I recently visited one of the northern Pennine towns in early August and it was bloody freezing.
Yes John, I understand this, it is "supposed" to be August here, but honestly the last 3 day long weekend has been horribly cold and miserable and raining. I went to my sisters and we sat around with the heater on instead of going out as we were supposed to, I'm not sure if I want to face this long term as it does affect your spirits. Mind you in saying that I would sooner have this weather than the extreme humidity in Australia last year.........will she ever be happy?

Is this what they call the curst of the ex pat??
Old Aug 30th 2011, 7:34 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Noooo not ready for the rocking chair and the zimmer frame just quite yet LOL!!

Keep them coming folks, loving this thread!!

Am now thinking Kent way, saw a programme on Countrylife (??) last night about the garden of England and it was sooo beautiful and I don't think it's quite so far from London............or maybe Bournemouth or Hove or well anywhere really.
I was born in London, but brought up in the Kentish suburbs. When looking at relocation options, I'd always discounted Kent & Sussex as being too congested & too near London, with inflated property prices to match.

But I've recently been looking at seaside towns in the Isle of Thanet and nearby areas. Places like Westgate-on-Sea, Deal, Ramsgate, Sandwich etc. Some of these are nice quiet towns, with superb beaches, walking, clifftops, heritage visiting etc. ... and decent train service to London, but far enough away that property prices are surprisingly reasonable. However the big disadvantage of Kent is always, anywhere in England you want to go to apart from London, you have to get to via London!

Last edited by robin1234; Aug 30th 2011 at 7:36 pm.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
Sorry I should of written your return from Canada not U.S!!!! I am from the North West, near Manchester but now live in Derbyshire....for us at present it offers us the best of both worlds, countryside right on our doorstep but an easy drive to either Sheffield or Manchester for City shopping etc and family near enough but far enough if you know what I mean. One day we might like to live nearer the coast but is suits all at this stage in our lives.
For us it was going where the work was but who knows might be headed home sooner than expected
Old Aug 30th 2011, 9:00 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Well, we tried the north -- Whitby -- and we found the climate a bit too cold and the winter days a bit too short, though the sunrises and sunsets were magnificent.

We've settled in Dawlish and though the summer hasn't been great here either, the extra couple of degrees most days, and that extra 30 mins or so of daylight in winter really do make a difference. There's a train station and decent local buses, but I agree Bournemouth would have a lot more. We didn't want a city, and on a short visit, we weren't too taken by the centre, but each to their own,

Bev

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.