British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   If you were over 50.......... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/if-you-were-over-50-a-730453/)

Beedubya Aug 29th 2011 8:18 pm

If you were over 50..........

footloose and fancy free where would you live in the whole of the UK if you could, no not somewhere for a 2 week holiday, but where you would actually want to live, climate, things of interest, ease of getting to places...........

I am not talking like other threads of where you can AFFORD to buy a property but am looking at moving on from the North of England, as much as I love the people the weather really is not great.......I am looking to work and rent somewhere other than here............so I welcome all points of view.........good and bad...........

BristolUK Aug 29th 2011 10:21 pm

Re: If you were over 50..........

Somewhere on the south coast, convenient for London, nipping across to France. Maybe convenient for Portsmouth too for some other trips.

That doesn't narrow it down too much I suppose. :unsure:

Elvira Aug 29th 2011 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9588809)
footloose and fancy free where would you live in the whole of the UK if you could, no not somewhere for a 2 week holiday, but where you would actually want to live, climate, things of interest, ease of getting to places...........

I am not talking like other threads of where you can AFFORD to buy a property but am looking at moving on from the North of England, as much as I love the people the weather really is not great.......I am looking to work and rent somewhere other than here............so I welcome all points of view.........good and bad...........

I have no wish to be anywhere other than where I shall be day after tomorrow :)

Englishman43 Aug 29th 2011 10:54 pm

50 & single ? Bournemouth - close to a couple of ferry ports / airports , only a couple hours train / car to London.

Good bit of nightlife, right by the water, next to the New Forest & Southwest ( lovely countryside ) .

I give it two thumbs up :thumbsup:

I'd actually move back to Lymington / New Milton area but might be a bit quite if you're a single person.

BristolUK Aug 30th 2011 2:41 am

Originally Posted by Englishman43 (Post 9589052)
50 & single ? Bournemouth

You missed the bifocal shop windows.

And the foreign students. ;)

moneypenny20 Aug 30th 2011 2:55 am

Malvern for the beauty, Cornwall for climate, my old home town for friends and rellies. How much money should I have? :lol: However I need my current climate (although it's chilly today).

chris955 Aug 30th 2011 3:24 am

Dorset, Devon, maybe Hampshire.

Wub Aug 30th 2011 6:05 am

Oooooh! great question Bee

Now then, number one would be Stratford upon Avon (bit of a theatre buff) with easy access to Cotswolds, Oxford, London. Its a beautiful place and somewhere I think I'd feel at home in.

Number two would be Haigh and immediate surrounding area in Lancashire -beautiful countryside yet a ten minute drive to all the shops and supermarkets you could want. Its affordable too - providing you don't live right in Haigh itself.

Number three would be Ellesmere in Shropshire - my sister lives there and its a proper old fashioned market town with fabulous facilities and gorgeous countryside surrounding it.

Number four would be Canterbury - stunning city, a short drive to Dover and the ferry ports, easy access to London. Coming in at joint number four would be Hever and Edenbridge - lots of history, stunning countryside but a bit expensive for housing costs.

brits1 Aug 30th 2011 7:34 am

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9588809)

Dorset somewhere near Sherbourne, Dorset has the most sun in England and also no motorways and homes seems to be more character than new. 45 mins from the Channel Islands by Air. Not industrialised.
Downsides:
Living with Southerners...lol...joking
lack of Motorways might make journeys longer
If you like large Cities to visit Dorset does not have a lot
If you like new homes you could have to search harder for those.

Good luck with your search

curleytops Aug 30th 2011 7:41 am

Whilst I love my life and warmer temps on the south coast, I'll always be a northern girl at heart. Cleadon Village in South Shields or somewhere along the coast nearby would be perfect :wub:

brits1 Aug 30th 2011 7:59 am

Originally Posted by curleytops (Post 9589734)
Whilst I love my life and warmer temps on the south coast, I'll always be a northern girl at heart. Cleadon Village in South Shields or somewhere along the coast nearby would be perfect :wub:

Salt of the Earth "us Northerners" lol........your lucky enough now though to be able to drive/fly anytime you want to South Shields now your here in the U.K, for us after Aus (maybe the same for you after the U.S) a few hours in a car is nothing lol....

curleytops Aug 30th 2011 8:03 am

Originally Posted by brits1 (Post 9589752)
Salt of the Earth "us Northerners" lol........your lucky enough now though to be able to drive/fly anytime you want to South Shields now your here in the U.K, for us after Aus (maybe the same for you after the U.S) a few hours in a car is nothing lol....

Hahaha racking up the Nectar points for Easy Jet! :rofl: Whereabouts in the north are you from?

the troubadour Aug 30th 2011 10:22 am

A little pricey but would pick Brighton for it's openess,tolerence, vibe and live let live philosphy.

Worthing down the road not quite in the same league but more affordable and close enough to make frequent trips to Brighton.

Bourmouth a pretty decent place would come next but a lot of Dorest I find rather nice but would choose to be near to the sea.

Cornwall, great county if a little remote perhaps. Perhaps a little insular but who couldn't love Cornwall.

Squirrel Aug 30th 2011 11:16 am

St Marys in the Scilly Isles.

robin1234 Aug 30th 2011 2:46 pm

My perspective at present is no doubt coloured by the fact that I now live in a small town, hundreds of miles from the sea.

I'd like to live at the seaside. (Cromer in Norfolk? Saltburn? Dawlish?) Alternatively, in a smallish city such as a cathedral city (Norwich? Exeter?) A place that is big enough to have excellent shopping, theatre & live music & good libraries etc.

Good public transport links are very important to me, especially with getting older and the dire state of road congestion in England. So needs to have a railway station within walking distance, and good local buses. Also - local airport with useful foreign services. For instance, I think Norwich has a regular service to Amsterdam.

Access to good countryside is important. Norwich (broads & coast), Exeter (Dartmoor & Dorset, S. Devon coastpath etc.)