Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

I so miss working in the UK

I so miss working in the UK

Old Dec 21st 2014, 1:05 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I so miss working in the UK

Originally Posted by Howefamily
I find examples such as this bizarre in the least, and sadly typical.
Maybe I have some really thick rose coloured glasses on but I don't recall any such instances in my UK working life at all.
I can assure you the UK has its fair share of dysfunctional workplaces and working practices.
Old Dec 21st 2014, 2:29 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
I think my husband struggles with his workplace...lack of efficiency and professionalism, lacking organizational skills etc.
But you love him anyway....
Old Dec 21st 2014, 2:30 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I can assure you the UK has its fair share of dysfunctional workplaces and working practices.
Do I see a public sector v private sector battle coming?
Old Dec 21st 2014, 1:29 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
But you love him anyway....
Ha ha

Certainly the NHS GP practice was far better run than he has found this new place to be... Ultimately they don't have anyone in charge other than the FP who owns the clinic and all he's interested in is the money side of it so nobody reall takes ownership of anything- it's always someone else's job.
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 2:54 am
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Overall I preferred the workplace atmosphere in the UK over Canada. I've seen people get away with bad behaviour in the office just because they were favoured by management.
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 12:10 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by jandro
I've seen people get away with bad behaviour in the office just because they were favoured by management.
I don't work in Canada so I can't compare. But that situation was a common one where I worked back in England.
Old Dec 24th 2014, 3:52 pm

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

I don't work in Canada so I can't compare. But that situation was a common one where I worked back in England.
I never saw such bad behaviour with management turning a blind eye in all the workplaces I was at in the UK.
Old Dec 25th 2014, 4:32 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

I never saw such bad behaviour with management turning a blind eye in all the workplaces I was at in the UK.
I have to agree with this
Old Dec 25th 2014, 7:49 am
Oscar nominated

A former colleague argued with a client who left the premises. He followed and had a slanging match in public view. He had another one in a headlock - different occasion. Eventually he was transferred for disciplinary reasons.

At his new office he got most peoples backs up with his abrasiveness, but he was tolerated because he apparently had his good points. This included a period of alcoholism and sleeping in his car and looking like at work.

Another was discovered with a female (not his wife) bonking down in the basement. No action taken against either. Both carried on working in the same office. It upset many people who worked with his wife in another office previously.

I can think of several who used to have more than one too many at lunchtime, including a manager who spent the afternoon slumped across his desk who then blamed a migraine when another manager discovered him.
Old Dec 31st 2014, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

I think it truly depends on the environment in which you work. I can't say I have many complaints with any of the employers I have worked for in Canada... no different to in the UK anyway...that or I'm now used to the Canadian way of doing things and can't remember how it's done in the UK! lol
Old Dec 31st 2014, 11:45 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Ha ha

Certainly the NHS GP practice was far better run than he has found this new place to be... Ultimately they don't have anyone in charge other than the FP who owns the clinic and all he's interested in is the money side of it so nobody really takes ownership of anything- it's always someone else's job.
my understanding of any profession is that its always about money or elevated status & personal self-righteousness, with the service factor or care on the back burner.

They say the Canadian health care system is one of the best... when a GP can push 80 -100 patients a day through their door, its makes you wonder.
Old Dec 31st 2014, 2:20 pm

A former colleague argued with a client who left the premises. He followed and had a slanging match in public view. He had another one in a headlock - different occasion. Eventually he was transferred for disciplinary reasons.

At his new office he got most peoples backs up with his abrasiveness, but he was tolerated because he apparently had his good points. This included a period of alcoholism and sleeping in his car and looking like at work.

Another was discovered with a female (not his wife) bonking down in the basement. No action taken against either. Both carried on working in the same office. It upset many people who worked with his wife in another office previously.

I can think of several who used to have more than one too many at lunchtime, including a manager who spent the afternoon slumped across his desk who then blamed a migraine when another manager discovered him.
I experienced similar and more in the workplace in Canada - racism, sexism, bullying, cronyism etc. I've witnessed co-workers yelling and threatening other co-workers (managers claiming to hear nothing). Co-workers physically assaulting other co-workers. At least 2 women quit because of co-workers coming on to them. Co-worker boasting of his gang connections and guns("he's such a hard worker" we're told)and swaggering around the office trying to intimidate everyone he sees beneath him. Co-worker making indirect threats to customer who complained about their service. Viagara tablets in desk drawers (for what purpose?). As far as I could see no one lifted a finger. I'm sure in a similar UK office environment there would have been more outspokenness about this type of behaviour. Add to this crap benefits and job security (dozens of conscientious workers let go at the drop of a hat). I think people put up with a lot of crap here just to keep their jobs.
Old Jan 1st 2015, 8:05 am
Oscar nominated

I think people put up with a lot of crap here just to keep their jobs.
Not to mention their medical benefits.
Old Jan 1st 2015, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Wombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond repute

Not to mention their medical benefits.

interesting, I worked most of my professional life in Toronto and did not experience what you have. As to medical benefits we are talking dental and prescription as opposed to other medical treatment.

Interesting, I had someone working for me, who I inherited, took me two years to get rid of him, and he got a great package.

Still, everyone's mileage varies
Old Jan 1st 2015, 12:14 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Wombat7
As to medical benefits we are talking dental and prescription as opposed to other medical treatment.
I was just responding to the comment about people desperate to keep their jobs. There are those with medical conditions and ongoing treatment that may not be affordable if they lost a job that included coverage for it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.