Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

I so miss working in the UK

I so miss working in the UK

Old Dec 19th 2014, 8:43 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default I so miss working in the UK

i love living in Canada, but my God sometimes (most of the time) I struggle with the work culture. I miss feeling comfortable in my working environment.
Old Dec 19th 2014, 9:19 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I so miss working in the UK

Originally Posted by Howefamily
i love living in Canada, but my God sometimes (most of the time) I struggle with the work culture. I miss feeling comfortable in my working environment.
I've lived in Ontario for two spells, starting in 1982, first 4 years and then, after 8 years elsewhere, a second of 22 years: you are not alone in your opinion.

Welcome to MBTTUK.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Dec 19th 2014 at 9:22 pm.
Old Dec 19th 2014, 9:22 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, I very much doubt we will move back so maybe I shouldn't even be in here, but today has been so horrible and I feel so low and so fish out of water that I just wanted to post it somewhere
Old Dec 19th 2014, 9:27 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, I very much doubt we will move back so maybe I shouldn't even be in here, but today has been so horrible and I feel so low and so fish out of water that I just wanted to post it somewhere
A part of the function of the forum is to provide a sounding board for folk having such issues.

Stick around.
Old Dec 19th 2014, 9:33 pm
Happy

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
A part of the function of the forum is to provide a sounding board for folk having such issues.

Stick around.
thank you, I will.
I am so tired of being misunderstood, of misinterpreting what's being said, of other people simply not doing what they should and it being accepted, of people not answering emails or calls. Of directness being considered rude, I could go on and on.....
Old Dec 19th 2014, 9:35 pm
Born again atheist

thank you, I will.
I am so tired of being misunderstood, of misinterpreting what's being said, of other people simply not doing what they should and it being accepted, of people not answering emails or calls. Of directness being considered rude, I could go on and on.....
I don't mean to pry, but what sort of working environment do you have? And how long have you been in NS?
Old Dec 19th 2014, 9:38 pm
Happy

3.5 years and I am in a huge company, but I have been in a smaller one too, it's always the same.
I like the job.....
Old Dec 19th 2014, 9:39 pm
Happy

Maybe I was lucky with my working life in the uk
Old Dec 19th 2014, 9:41 pm
Born again atheist

3.5 years and I am in a huge company, but I have been in a smaller one too, it's always the same.
I like the job.....
So you like the job and you love living in Canada? Just a bad day then? I've had more than a few recently, so I sympathize.
Old Dec 19th 2014, 9:46 pm
Happy

I find the small cultural differences exhausting at times, and the beating around the bush instead of directness hard work, I like the job but I am constantly second guessing myself. People misunderstand what they would have understood inEngland.
Old Dec 19th 2014, 9:54 pm
Born again atheist

I find the small cultural differences exhausting at times, and the beating around the bush instead of directness hard work, I like the job but I am constantly second guessing myself. People misunderstand what they would have understood inEngland.
Ah, welcome to the Expat World.

You do have to make some compromises, wherever you find yourself.
Old Dec 19th 2014, 10:19 pm
Happy

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Ah, welcome to the Expat World.

You do have to make some compromises, wherever you find yourself.
Oh I know, you are right
Old Dec 19th 2014, 10:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

thank you, I will.
I know exactly what you mean. I have at times loathed working in NZ but just lately after ten years I feel like I finally get it and have stopped rubbing up against the issues. It is exhausting and all consuming when you think everyone is out there deliberately being obtuse and trying to undermine you, by misunderstanding what you say and do.

I guess the workplace is the one place where our expat background and differences are fully on display and in the early days (read years) you're often powerless to do anything about that, until you're in a position of having been there for a while and having an opinion that counts and can have some input and influence in selecting the people you want to work with and shaping the environment in which you work.

It takes time to get to know all the little nuances of any new job but doubly hard when you don't know all the background politics and customary practice of a country as well.
Old Dec 19th 2014, 10:24 pm
Born again atheist

Oh I know, you are right
Then my job here is done. I hope your tomorrow is better. (Well, it will be, won't it, i t's Saturday tomorrow).
Old Dec 20th 2014, 12:39 am
Happy

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
I know exactly what you mean. I have at times loathed working in NZ but just lately after ten years I feel like I finally get it and have stopped rubbing up against the issues. It is exhausting and all consuming when you think everyone is out there deliberately being obtuse and trying to undermine you, by misunderstanding what you say and do.

I guess the workplace is the one place where our expat background and differences are fully on display and in the early days (read years) you're often powerless to do anything about that, until you're in a position of having been there for a while and having an opinion that counts and can have some input and influence in selecting the people you want to work with and shaping the environment in which you work.

It takes time to get to know all the little nuances of any new job but doubly hard when you don't know all the background politics and customary practice of a country as well.
Thank you, this is exactly how I feel. I look forward to that day arriving

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.