Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

I am moving back next year but am terrified I am making a big mistake.

I am moving back next year but am terrified I am making a big mistake.

Old Sep 23rd 2016, 9:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I am moving back next year but am terrified I am making a big mistake.

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Well yes. It happens. But why does being 19 when the OP left and that he's 37 now have any relevance?
Were you doing the same things when you were 37 as when you were 19? I certainly wasn't. During that period of their life most people do at least one of: get married/settle down, have children, change careers, move to a different city/ country, get divorced/ break up, experience the death of a parent, find/abandon religion, take up a new hobby, etc., etc., etc., and their view of the world changes, entirely.

Even if the OP hasn't done several of these things, ALL of his friends and relatives have. The community he remembers has gone for ever.
I think you're being condescending.. I imagine the OP has some use of the internet and might well have used it to keep abreast of UK affairs.
In which case why did he ask the question that started this thread?

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 23rd 2016 at 9:21 pm.
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 9:16 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I am moving back next year but am terrified I am making a big mistake.

I think you're being condescending.. I imagine the OP has some use of the internet and might well have used it to keep abreast of UK affairs.
So reading the BBC News website is akin to spending the last 18 years living in the UK? Time to drop this one I think.
Old Sep 24th 2016, 7:32 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JokerD
Hello,

Long time lurker first time poster. I guess I need some advice really, the title says it all. I have been living in Canada for 17 years, moved with parents when I was 19 from England.

I am now 37, good job, good hours, good pension but I am just not happy in myself and miss England and the culture terribly. I am totally sorted over here for a lack of better terms.

So the plan is is to move back next year and use the 'golden handshake' money from my current job to start again over there. I am just terrified that I will be throwing away everything that I have worked hard for over here and making a massive mistake going back, some days I think it's a good idea other days not so much and the procrastination is driving me up the wall.

If anyone has any insight or advice that would be great.

Thank you.
Hello,

I was back over this summer, love the area. I'll be moving to the south coast area near Eastbourne which is where a lot of my family are.
Originally Posted by Pulaski
My concern about JokerD's plan is that he thinks he is going "back" to something. In other words he has fairly specific expectations about life in the UK, when in fact the UK has moved on, and changed quite lot, in many ways, and isn't the country he left.

In which case why did he ask the question that started this thread?
He didn't indicate any expectation that nothing would have changed. You started that speculation not the OP.

But I agree with BiP let's drop it since it appears that the OP already has.
Old Sep 25th 2016, 6:44 pm
Just Joined

SJones76 has a reputation beyond reputeSJones76 has a reputation beyond reputeSJones76 has a reputation beyond reputeSJones76 has a reputation beyond reputeSJones76 has a reputation beyond reputeSJones76 has a reputation beyond reputeSJones76 has a reputation beyond reputeSJones76 has a reputation beyond reputeSJones76 has a reputation beyond reputeSJones76 has a reputation beyond reputeSJones76 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

Long time lurker first time poster. I guess I need some advice really, the title says it all. I have been living in Canada for 17 years, moved with parents when I was 19 from England.

I am now 37, good job, good hours, good pension but I am just not happy in myself and miss England and the culture terribly. I am totally sorted over here for a lack of better terms.

So the plan is is to move back next year and use the 'golden handshake' money from my current job to start again over there. I am just terrified that I will be throwing away everything that I have worked hard for over here and making a massive mistake going back, some days I think it's a good idea other days not so much and the procrastination is driving me up the wall.

If anyone has any insight or advice that would be great.

Thank you.
I will give you my 2 cents. My parents took me to the States when I was 15. I completed high school and uni out there. They did not think to secure me or my sister with a greencard so when I graduated uni I fell out of status. I managed to hang on in the USA until my dad passed away and then me and my mum came back to the UK, 15 years after I first left. It was a massive culture shock. England had changed radically since I left. I had fantasised about the English culture since I lived in the States and I guess I glamourised it in my mind. The reality is a lot different. I am sure some people come back to UK and love it, but for me has been one disappointment after another and I am now looking to move away. If you are secure and stable in Canada, it would be a risky move to come to the UK. It is not what you think it is anymore. I am replying to initial post only, apologies if I missed details that you posted later in the thread. Good luck.
Old Sep 26th 2016, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

My concern about JokerD's plan is that he thinks he is going "back" to something. In other words he has fairly specific expectations about life in the UK, when in fact the UK has moved on, and changed quite lot, in many ways, and isn't the country he left.

If he goes back to the UK he should, IMO, treat it as an adventure in a new country, not a return to something comfortable and familiar.
I agree with this as well. We moved back from Canada to our house we already owned to a nice area and we have plenty of money but the town has moved on and changed. Our family and friends have also and we hardly see them. This has been our only disappointment. We are now considering moving to a totally new county for our retirement and treating it as an adventure and new chapter. "Going back" is not the same because everyone has moved on. I left my home country in my early 40's to move to UK, took my redundancy, sold house packed up furniture and dog and went off for an adventure. Since then have lived 15 years Canada too and now making UK home again. Go with your plans but dont expect anything then you will be happily settled in no time. Life is an adventure. Also if it does not work out, so what you can always go somewhere else!
Old Sep 26th 2016, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

I would also add that if you were not nervous it would be worrying. It means you are thinking things through. However don't overthink! What is also hard for you is you are giving up a secure military career so you have a double wammy of change.
Old Sep 27th 2016, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

carledgar is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

I am currently serving in the military. I have a rough idea of what I want to do over there but nothing lined up. I plan on doing 'any old' work until I get the job I want but there's no guarantees.

I was back over this summer, love the area. I'll be moving to the south coast area near Eastbourne which is where a lot of my family are.
Aren't you entitled to a pension after 20 years in the Canadian military. That was certainly the case when I was an admin officer at CFB Esquimalt (HMCS Naden) and a new pension plan (or 'scheme' in British parlance) was brought in?
Old Sep 28th 2016, 8:07 pm
Lelo

lelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond repute

To the OP:

I think that you have to really think about why you are moving back. I am in a similar position. American step-father moved all over US and Europe as a child while always going back to UK to visit family. So for me England has always been "home". I have been away for 26 years and will be moving back October 11th this year. I have gone from terrified if it is the right decision and then ping-ponging to euphoria and every emotion in between. I am choosing to look at it is a new adventure rather than a return to "home". I have very realistic expectations as to what my family's involvement is going to be and what this means as an interruption in my career and savings, etc. If you are moving back for the nostalgia and haven't visited in a while - it may be a decision you regret. Really look at what you want to get out of the move and just be realistic.
Old Oct 1st 2016, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

lucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond repute

JokerD,My daughter was brought to Spain from Sussex when she was 11 years old,our other daughter ,much older was working & remained in UK.She grew up,left school,started her own business,got married to a Spaniard & had a child in Spain.Of course she often visited her sister back in Sussex.Suddenly 2 years ago,in her mid 40`s,she sold up & returned to England.Our other daughter had died some time previously so she had no family left there.She appears settled & is in employment.I was concerned because her way of life was southern european,even a different language,but for you,at least you share an English way of communication which helps tremendously.Also hopefully you have a similar mindset.Try coping with how we ex-pat Brits.have to deal with the Spanish logic!You have been in the forces,as I have,so will be used to being flexible.You must have confidence in yourself & treat it as a new beginning,& you are a young man still.Otherwise be very realistic & settle for where you are & what you can achieve there.Good luck
Old Oct 1st 2016, 9:51 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I've been on BE a few years and I still puzzle over threads like this - a new member asks a question, gets many detailed and thoughtful responses from members, but never acknowledges them and is never seen again. Unless they want to ask another question.
Old Oct 2nd 2016, 9:18 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I've been on BE a few years and I still puzzle over threads like this - a new member asks a question, gets many detailed and thoughtful responses from members, but never acknowledges them and is never seen again. Unless they want to ask another question.
Or comes back and asks exactly the same question six months later.
Old Oct 2nd 2016, 9:22 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Or comes back and asks exactly the same question six months later.
Yep
Old Oct 2nd 2016, 5:00 pm
Just Joined

JokerD is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all,

Thank you for all the replies, I was away in 'the field' hence my late reply.

I have decided to stay, the military suits me and I enjoy the job. I'll always miss 'back home' but going back and starting again wouldn't be the best idea.

Thanks again for all your replies.

Cheers.👍🏻
Old Oct 2nd 2016, 5:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

That seems a sensible approach. Thanks fore coming back and telling us !
Old Oct 2nd 2016, 5:30 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all,

Thank you for all the replies, I was away in 'the field' hence my late reply.

I have decided to stay, the military suits me and I enjoy the job. I'll always miss 'back home' but going back and starting again wouldn't be the best idea.

Thanks again for all your replies.

Cheers. ....
You're welcome. And thanks for coming back to let us know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.