Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Husbands US Social Security

Husbands US Social Security

Old Dec 17th 2018, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

jacks50p is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Husbands US Social Security

Still in the very early days of planning returning to the UK and many questions to be answered. Maybe someone knows the answer to this, if they do it would be much appreciated. If I stayed here in the US I would be entitled to SS via my husbands, as a dual citizen would I still be able to receive it once I was in the UK?
Old Dec 17th 2018, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Husbands US Social Security

Originally Posted by jacks50p View Post
Still in the very early days of planning returning to the UK and many questions to be answered. Maybe someone knows the answer to this, if they do it would be much appreciated. If I stayed here in the US I would be entitled to SS via my husbands, as a dual citizen would I still be able to receive it once I was in the UK?
I'm pretty sure that the SS rules covering a spouse are exactly the same regardless of where they reside. I'll let you know for sure in about 3 years time when my wife applies. (We are both US/UK citizens living in the UK)
Old Dec 17th 2018, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by durham_lad View Post
I'm pretty sure that the SS rules covering a spouse are exactly the same regardless of where they reside. I'll let you know for sure in about 3 years time when my wife applies. (We are both US/UK citizens living in the UK)
Thank you, hoping to be there with you by then....so excited!
Old Dec 19th 2018, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Vadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond repute

The rules are the same. My husband's SS was topped up via my contributions, and would you believe it, his EX-WIFE gets a small benefit based on my husband's record. DH and I are both dual nationals. He lived in the US for 11 years, and qualified for SS based on his work record there and his UK work record. His ex has NEVER lived in the US or contributed to SS in any way.
Old Dec 19th 2018, 11:28 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vadio View Post
The rules are the same. My husband's SS was topped up via my contributions, and would you believe it, his EX-WIFE gets a small benefit based on my husband's record. DH and I are both dual nationals. He lived in the US for 11 years, and qualified for SS based on his work record there and his UK work record. His ex has NEVER lived in the US or contributed to SS in any way.
Same applies for the UK. The US wife of one of our ex-members gets a UK pension based on his UK contributions. She has never even set foot in the UK.
Old Dec 19th 2018, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Husbands SS

Thank you for replies to previous post about husbands SS. I will have worked 14 years in US by the time we leave but his top up will be more than mine. I know I get my UK pension (I worked for 30 years +). Do I get that as well does anyone know?
Old Dec 19th 2018, 2:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Husbands SS

Originally Posted by jacks50p View Post
Thank you for replies to previous post about husbands SS. I will have worked 14 years in US by the time we leave but his top up will be more than mine. I know I get my UK pension (I worked for 30 years +). Do I get that as well does anyone know?
Rather than have 2 threads on the same subject I have merged the threads.
Old Dec 19th 2018, 5:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Same applies for the UK. The US wife of one of our ex-members gets a UK pension based on his UK contributions. She has never even set foot in the UK.
The UK has ended new claimants on this basis. I think you had to be full pension age by some date in 2016 to be able to do this.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Dec 19th 2018 at 5:27 pm. Reason: had not has
Old Dec 19th 2018, 5:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Giantaxe View Post
The UK has ended new claimants on this basis. I think you has to be full pension age by some date in 2016 to be able to do this.
Good to know. Thanks.
Old Dec 20th 2018, 1:34 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

For those not already aware - UK and non-UK nationals who are under State pension age and whose spouse/civil partner died after 6 April 2017 may be eligible for bereavement support payments. You need to live in a designated country to be able to access this, the US and the Philippines are two such countries. The payment consists of £2,500 in an initial lump sum, then £100 per month for 18 months. The rates are higher if you have dependent children. There are different payments if your spouse died before 6 April 2017. Info here https://www.gov.uk/bereavement-support-payment
Old Dec 20th 2018, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Good info SOS, I hadn’t realised the bereavement payments were available overseas.
Old Dec 20th 2018, 11:02 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad View Post
Good info SOS, I hadn’t realised the bereavement payments were available overseas.